Questions for Singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JChen99, Jun 6, 2004.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    um... sorry for starting a new thread with all these singles questions going around. However, I have a few very simple questions that have been buggin me for the past month. Sorry if thses question coming fro me are newbie questions, but dispite the time I've been playing I've never realli done anything on singles until just this past month. I did a search and didn't realli find anything on this... if there is and I've missed it, I appologize in advanced.

1. Clearing/Lifting - Assuming you are executing defensive clears. A clear that's deep enough to reach the end of your opponent's court. I'm wondering where you would clear it to? nearest corner? furthest corner? or where the center line is? and why would you do that?

I notice the pros usually clear to the corners. However Ive been told to clear to the centers because it cuts down the angle of return.

2. I tend to have trouble getting to the 2d shot shot after executing a not-so-great Xcourt Drop from the back court. I can usually make it to the shot after immediately after, but then I would tend to get stuck there cuz I tend to not be able to stop myself after the last lunge and I'd jus get stuck at the net.

3. Where to stand during the game? My clears to the baseline are't too bad but since I'm playin with plastic right now some people can still pound it back pretty hard. In many instances I wouldn't be able to get the smashes that are close to the side lines, but if I clear to a corner and take a step toward the side the corner is at, I open the other side of the court for x-court drops/smashes.

4. Racket up? I know in doubles this is very crucial, however, I dont know how crucial it is to play wif the racket up during a rally in singles. I've tried it once or twice during games but I didn't find it as useful as it was in doubles unless you've gotten into a driving frenzy with your opponent. However, leaving racket down too much leaves me prone to unexpected smashes.

5. Returning sideline smashes. Since most smashes are done at the back r center court, I find it's useful to just block the bird and have it bounce back just over the net. However, some people are pretty fast and can just run up to tap on the bird and put it away. I guess this kinda ties into question #3 but I have no idea what I can do differently besides adding a few lifts in there when I can.

Help/suggestion? Thanks

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Jason,

Best to split up the thread and create an individual thread for each question. One thread to answer 5 questions can get a lot of disorganised replies.

regards

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Cheung, I'll try and answer these points succinctly and hopefully save some space:)
    You will see most clears go to the corners at the higher levels. If you are playing high defensive clears then clearing to the centre is fine , but if you are looking to pressure your opponent at the back then you'll need to develop flatter clears played to the corners. Crosccourt clears should be used with caution, you need to be able to hit the shuttle corner to corner since any weakness in this shot presents an easy opportunity for your opponent.

If you are playing a crosscourt drop this needs to be played with slice so that it arrives quickly, if you play it too slowly, without slice your opponent will get there early and play a net shot which, as you say, you will have great trouble reaching. I would suggest you improve the xc drop, or play it less frequently, failing that when you do have to lunge lift the shuttle high to the back allowing you to walk back to base.
    In defense face the corner you have lifted to and bias slightly towards the "straight" side. Play with feathers!
    Racket up? NO Racket towards shuttle , yes. The racket position should be dependent on the position of the shuttle as the opponent strikes it. For instance if you play a weak lift or loose block all the likely returns are low / at your body, any hard flat /high returns are likely to go out, clearly having your racket above your hand would disadvantage you for almost all the returns so a defense racket position out in front and fairly low is appropriate. If you have hit down and are moving forward having the racket up would be good since the likely returns are upwards.

Obviousley a crosscourt block is the better choice whenever possible, failing that a flatter mid court block skimming the tape may be harder to kill than a floated hairpin attempt at your level. If you lifts are deep and your blocks resonable and varied I doubt players at your level will consistently play smash/ net kill for a whole game.

#3 dlp, Jun 7, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  4. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Sorry Cheung, I thought I'd just keep it in one thread so it wont bump down too many threads at once.

Thx Dlp, I think that's all I needed, some clearing up. But I find the concept of pointing towards the bird very interesting. Will try what you suggested against one of my friends wednesday :D

Thanks again!

5. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    Defensive clear is for repositioning yourself. Therefore, it might be safer to go with whichever is best for you. For example, if you're in a tough position and can't be bothered to think about where the shuttle's going to land, just clear it over and get back into position.

My favourite singles shot is the drop from the back. I have a friend who does a long serve, I drop back (probably ends up cross court), and she drops hoping I can't make it. I think the key to this is 1) try for more accuracy in your drop. I was taught to slice the bird to create a steep fall and a drop that ends up more or less like a slow smash at a really steep angle. Usually when doing a cross court from the back, it'd be nice if you could slice it last second because then that'll create difficulties for your opponent as well. 2) maybe it's your shoes, my play improved a lot in the the last 3 months since I bought new court shoes (stops the slipping) 3) are you running instead of lunging? if you're running, it will probably create a slide, whereas if you were taking the strides, it's a natural last dig and over.

I say centre, as most people would say. However, it depends on the style of play. Since i have trouble getting to the back in time, but can compensate with good digs, I stand a bit more to the back and dash for the front when neccessary. The side shots I think everyone just has to get used to. If you know you are better at covering one side (for me it's backhand) I stand closer to the other side of the court, because i know I can make my back hand save whereas I need more time for my forehand. But still, one should be in the centre. If you actually reached to the sides from the middle, you'll be able to reach the sidelines (I'm 5 feet 1 but with my racquet I can just pass the singles out line). Maybe also get used to the side lunge as well. :)

Racquet up. It seems to be a drag, but it's definately a great saver when you're getting smashed at. Ontop of that, it's good for fast snaps, tricky drops, and even lifting your racquet for a clear or smash. Saving that split second really does count. One of my coaches taught me: gravity is on your side when your racquet is up and you have to drop it, but never is gravity going to work with you when you have to haul your racquet up to protect your face.

Well I have the same problem. I guess the thing is, we both have to aim. Sometimes, if it's way too the side on the forhand, I lift it straight to the back (when I remember to). When it's on my backhand, I might try a cross court drop (since you're lunging sideways, and when you take more a swing, it ends up being a cross court, which surprises the opponent) - or a drive. I guess the thing is, try not aim back at the opponent, no matter how natural it is, because eventually you'll lose the rally because you're the one who's the target.

6. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    THx Lalanthier!

I guess it's a BIG bonus to have coaching nowadays, ppl lik me who cant afford em will jus hav to stick to askin questions here instead :p

Anyway I've got most of it figured out and I think the main problem I have with #3 is just I'm not slicing the bird (enough) when I'm back in the backhand corner (i just noticed I dont have the same problem in my forehand corner and only in my backhand corner) and my problem with #5 is I'm either not anticipating the shot at that time or I'm a bit too slow with my reflexes LOL (yah I'm VERY slow)

Anyway... I'll try these things out today when I play singles against my friend... hopefully I wont play too badly XD

Thanks for u guys' input, any furthur input is still appreciated. THANKS AGAIN GUYS!

ps. Kwun, ever thought of changing the technique forum to "coaching forum"? lol j/k j/k