Pace of Professionals

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by New_Guy04, Jun 7, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

Hi

When i watched the TC preminary rounds, i saw top ranked pros. like taufik hidayat , chen hong, etc. absolutely destroy those low ranked ppl. from south Africa, Germany, etc. I am aware of several reasons that high-ranked pros do, and i found out that top ranked players are much more fast-paced than others.

So my question comes down to this. What are some excercises, practice routines, badminton drills, etc. that can make me much more fast-paced than b4?

Personally, i think i'm not a very high-paced player, unfortunately. I can't block fast smashes or react to shots, but my body can't react fast to get the shots.

for example, if my opponent (BTW, this thread is about singles only) is very fast and he drives a very fast shot from the net, and if i'm in the middle of the court, my body can't move fast enough to get the shot (i can hit it by running, but it's not a very desent shot).

So, my main problem is that my legs and the whole body can't react fast if a fast shot is played away from me. If a fast shot is hit at me, my reactions can handle it, but the rest, not quite....\

So help me out here... gimme some advices of drills and stuff!:D

2. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I would say as well as increasing speed/reaction, their is another element to this. That is the ability to play a good quality shot even if you have not reached the ideal position in which to play it. For instance how well can you play a shot if you move late and are taking it slightly behind you? This won't phase a top level player, they will still be able to select a range of shots to hit. At lower levels the only option may be to hit a weak reply. Inevitably the opponent will latch onto this and compound the problem.

So don't just look at speed around the court. That is your first weapon to ensuring you get where you need to be, but it is also good if you can play a range of shots even when you are caught out of position.

3. Average

Average Regular Member

From a lil coaching i got, the coach said to get to the shuttle as fast as u can. while practicing dun worry bout accuracy jus try to get the shuttle over the net. once u seem to be able to cover the court well then u start to improve ur accuracy. for reaction improvement jus have a friend or whoever stand roughly bout 1 metre away in front of u holding lots of shuttles, and get them to throw it (but not too far) side to side with different pace.

4. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

just realized there's a mistake there...:D

'I can't block fast smashes or react to shots, but my body can't react fast to get the shots.'

I meant i CAN block smashes and react to shots, like in doubles where reactions are important, but my body can't move fast enough

btw, any others ways? what is like the MOST effective way to make ur body move quicked around the courts...

how did ppl like lindan or other fast players train to be such fast-paced players? what kind of training methods and drills did they use?

5. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    I believe it is just a matter of number of good players that are there. Once, I saw a chinese trainer that his unique job was to feed. A professional feeder! :eek: :eek: :eek:

For instance, in China, they have so much good players that you train with people who have a fast pace. So, it is mandatory for you to go to their pace.

You have many drills under pressure that help you to increase your pace. For instance:

put a player on a chair at 10 feet of the net with many birds. He hits the birds in corners and you have to reply with specefic shots. Once you have just returned to the center, another bird is hit. Well, you have tons of replies and shots. It is just about your imagination. And the feeder can accelerate the pace as much as he wants. He has just to hit the bird earlier before you return to center. Do 3 * 10, 1 min break between each 3 * 10, 6 times.

Good luck!

JRMTL

6. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

thx! i'll let my friend (or force if he won't listen) feed birdies for me!

7. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

shuttle feeding itself wont let you gain a tremendous amount of speed. i believe the correct way should be doing a mix of training. weights training to gain power, plyometrics training for explosive use of that power, shadow badminton for on-court speed and finally shuttle feeding for adaptation to that speed.

8. firehorse

firehorse Regular Member

Comp. Engr
    You know your stuff,Iwan.

This kind of training usually done in a Badminton Club situation where you have a coach; to train not only your speed but also your physics.

I think for people who just play for fun (not as a way to reach a prof. level -> playing just 2x a week for about 2-3 hours each time), mix training of physical strengh (weight, jogging and sprinting combine) and shadow trainng should excell your speed tremendously. The other sets of training, you do it when you play a game. This is for my experience for having not too much time on the court.

9. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    Yes, you are right.

That was an example of a drill on court.

But, by the studies I read on badminton training, weight training doesn't improve your badminton game. You need power-speed (well, in French we call it puissance-vitesse) where it isn't the classical formula of the power = strength/speed . I can't give more details, but plyometrics suit better for our game to gain pace.

JRMTL

10. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

k, i'm lost here.... what's plyometrics and wha'ts shadow badminotn?

11. other

other Regular Member

Student
    shadow bad is playing without the shuttle.....you "shadow" your strokes, and do your footwork as per normal....just that there is no shuttle, and you can choose where to run and what shot to "shadow"...pretend to play basicaly

good thing is that u can do it by yourself:)

polymetrics is the science of your muscles actually contracting or something....not how much muscle you have, but how well the cells and stuff work together to produce a force, and quickly as well........

well, that's a quick answer anyways

12. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

weight training doesnt improve the badminton game? :eek: Then something must be wrong with all the top clubs around the world including PBSI and China's national team... sorry, just had to let that out :D

weights training do help, but if you train wrongly, then its going to affect your performance negatively. go here and just read the introduction first http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/complex.htm

from my personal experience, a mix of squats and weighted squat jumps has given me the leg power necessary to jump higher. The overhead cutroll exercise combined with a "weight throw" .... well i kinda hold on to a 3 kilo weight and do a swing as if I'm throwing it as far infront of me as I can without letting go of the weight, anyway that has built up my arm, the power of my smash has definetely increased by a lot. This kind of training is what's called complex training, where you do weights training first and then a plyometrics training that involve the same muscle. Its like training for the basic power and then training for the explosive use of that power.

The negative effects though, is shuttles will go out when you lob and limbs would feel stiff like a rod and if u happen to do squats and weighted squat jumps too much and not do badminton training, enough in between, you'll find that you can't time your jump smash right. I experienced it, I did squats and squat jumps on Tuesday and Thursday and didn't any jump smash exercise in between, on friday I went to play and when I jumped up, I jumped higher than usual and that made me have to hit the shuttle without my arm projecting as far out as it normally would. Lots of birds struck the net and died that day.

13. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

oh, another important note, complex training builds Type IIb muscle fibres which are the most explosive muscle fibres. The downside to this is that Type IIb muscle fibres gets fatigue very quickly. I'd suggest that you do shadow badminton at 15 repetition, 1 minute per repetition and a max of 1 minute rest in between each repetition on a day following your complex training. Do the shadow badminton with speed ofcourse, don't do it slowly.

firehorse, i understand that this kind of training is for those who really trains under the guidance of a coach, but New_Guy04 asked what kind of training helps attain the speed that the professionals have.

14. viver

viver Regular Member

Iwan,
    You are quite right about the training methods for power and speed. However I don't think weight training is suitable to younger players (say under 17) due to risk of injury. For younger players if they want to be able to play at a faster pace, just simply improve the physical fitness and play more badminton - shadow badminton would be a good start.

15. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Weight training is the only way to improve your muscles fast. Unless you have time to play 8 hours a day, the best way to build muscle is through weights and certain excercises. You need to look up Plyometrics , which is a wide range of excercises that improves your muscle response and strength. Essentially it trains your muscle to explode out of a set position after your body has come down into a rest position. Another words, once your body settles down into ready position, plyometrcs will help your leg muscles explode out of that position even harder than you used to stop your self into the ready position. In short, train your muscle from slow to rest than accelerate hard ( explode ) into the next stage.

Dont do Shadow... thats for coaches that are lazy... jk. If you want to work on that net push.. you need to have someone at the net and either feed you that shot repeatedly combined with a few net drops or simply have someone stand at the net and you need to hit everything back into that corner. That person needs to mix it up with a few net drops, cross court drops, clears so you dont know what to expect and that will teach you more about the timing on when to get ready and when to move... Shadows cant teach you that.