SPlits *OUCH*

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by odjn, Jun 14, 2004.

1. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Hey you guys...I'm just wondering if anyone of you guys know how to do the splits ..

I'm not talking about badminton where it's like 14-14 and all...but where you get on the ground and hurt yourself really badly going down....well I can't really explain it any better :) .

Well, I'm really working at it, and the best technique i found out so far is to get two sturdy chairs, and just hang on to them with your heels, while falling down into the splits. But be careful though, it really hurts to fall have one of your feet slip off the chiar :p !

I can't do the splits now....but I hope all this suffering will pay off some day when I get to show off as much as possible.

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    uhmmm .... WHY would you want to?

-dave

3. edward

edward Regular Member

Wouldnt it take time to get back up and put yourself out of position? I guess as a last resort to keep the shuttle alive, but proper footwork and agility would come in more handy in my opinion.
    The chair method does work; I've seen martial artists use it. Are you going down one leg infront of the other, or side splits?

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    ah.....it is handy..as claude van damme often shows in his films...and jackie and jet

5. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I tried before albeit not for badminton :D, on carpeted floor though, for a few months everynight. And I got pretty close, around 6 inches left but then I quit. How does the chair thing work. The part that hurts the most I think is your heels, if you're doing it on a hard surface.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I second Wood_22_Chuck in wondering the purpose. Even if you're able to do the splits, you could still get hurt when you slip because the unanticipated movement could tear muscles.

Perhaps you could attain soprano pitch that way and go into opera:D.

7. speedy shuttle

speedy shuttle Regular Member

full time badminton freak - somtimes webdesign
    Not my thing thats for sure, i'd prefer to take the extra step :D however I suppose it could be useful in dire need hehe, but I would only use it as a last resort because it's going to be much harder to recover after doing the splits, however you mite "wow" your opp :D gluck :p

8. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    split

I know many professional players can stretch their legs very far when reaching out for a shuttle...

I saw the little female players from Peru stretching before and after a match and easily making a split.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i remember seeing the great Susi Susanti doing a split when reaching for a net shot, and then she bounces back and continued the rally... i cannot remember which match it happened in though.

10. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I used to be able to do full splits, both front/back (with either leg forward) and side ways. That was over 10 years ago though... probably damage something critical if I attempted it now :p :D. I didn't develop the flexibility for badminton though since I didn't even play badminton back then. It was marital arts... oops I mean martial arts :p ;).

11. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

.............then your opponents would be too shocked to respond to the shot !! :p :p :D :D :D

12. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Hey i went down all the way today!!!! WHOOO WHOO!!!!! IT"S a MIRACLE!!!! :) :) :)

Now just to go beyond the splits.....

13. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Your nickname will be "Gumby" soon :D. Just be careful it doesn't go from Gumby to Eunuch or Wishbone :p.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    this is a case of

I have fallen and I can't get up :eek:

15. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    hey odjn, what kind of split are you doing? the front and back one, which is like walking or the sideways one which is like..........sideways?

16. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    ughh.........

Well i can do all ways now cus i practice every way every night (on the floor) :D

I'm not sure which way sideways or front and back is but like...
    When I do the splits on the chair, my toes are pointing up. And it's kind of like i'm sitting down, only i'm sitting on my heels, facing forward...and yeah it still hurts!

17. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Umm, I used to practice the splits but that was back in my days where I was training for gymnastics and not badminton. :p

If you're aiming at practicing this, then my guess would just be for a crowd pleaser because regardless how strong your legs are, recovering from this position quickly is very difficult and unnecessary.

18. karramella

karramella Regular Member

student*sigh* unfortunately
    same here. i do the splits every night as well as bridges!:) i find being flexible helps alot when playing cuz when you're reaching back u don't have to take that extra step, all u have to do is Strech n reach:p But recently i hurt my back while doing bridges, so i don't think i'll be doing much around-the-head shots now ...:crying:

19. bad-min-ton

bad-min-ton Regular Member

student
    maybe easy for u girls but for guys.... *ouch*. not many guys can do it. :rolleyes:

20. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Stretching doesn't just improve your reach. The longer your muscle fibers, the more power they can generate. That's why gymnasts and ballet dancers are so powerful, even though they have very compact muscles. It's the same reason martial artists stretch so much. It's not just to look good with high kicks, but to generate greater force on impact.

For players like me (mid thirties), it's not about power but stretching a lot just so it doesn't ache so much the next day when I'm sitting in the office :(

I used to be able to do the front splits, but side splits are a lot harder, and more painful, and it's easier to injure yourself.

What are bridges?