How To Hit Really High Shots???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by New_Guy04, Jun 19, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

there are times when ur opponents clear, lob, or serves REALLY high to ur backcourt. i have some problems countering these shots. i seem to miss the timing of when to hit the shuttle, so i sometimes miss or hit a very weak shot. why is it that it's hard to hit these kinda shots? i have some theories:

1.) since if the birdie is hit very high, the birdie lands vertically when hit.

2.) if the birdie is hit high, it will gain speed when landing since gravity pulls it down faster as it lands. therefore, it messes up the tempo of when ur supposed to hit.

3.) u'll have to look at the birdie to hit it, and when the birdie is high up, you get dizzy looking at it, and by the time ur supposed to hit, ur already dizzy.

can anyone correct this or give more reasons. and also, how do i counter this? i tend to back up a little more while i hit so that the birdie is not right beneanth me, but in front.however, are there other ways to hit the birdie without screwing up the tempo? can anyone help me on this?:confused:

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    no.1 is correct.

solution - play and practice more!! ;) That's why pros do not make these sort of mistakes (well, very rarely!)

One other reason for messing up these shots is because the player has too much time to wait. Especially if the player is used to playing at fast pace.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There are high shots and there are high shots. The ones that give you trouble are probably the very high shots. It has nothing to do with gravity except that gravity will bring the shuttle, and every other thing, down. The very high shots go up to a height of 20-30 feet and come down vertically, making it difficult to hit the shuttle cleanly on the cock. You have no choice but to hit shuttle on the feathers and side of the cock or base. Thus not only timing but clean hitting is made more difficult. More practice will help.

4. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Only problem with high shots is its easy to hit the frame, but the very high shots dont happen very much and if it does make sure you smash it :)

5. other

other Regular Member

Student
    play in a hall with lower ceilings.....or practise more, including looking up when hitting so you'll be less dizzy

6. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    I agree. There's the offensive clear and defensive clear. Defensive you usally make contact with the bird while your racquet is still facing slightly up. An offensive clear is more of a flat shot, and your racquet face would therefore be facing more or less forward. If you were doing an offensive clear, you would be making contact with the feathers of the bird, thus, making a weak shot.

Maybe try experiemnting with the timing so that when you hit the bird, it is your racquet face that is making contact with the feathers (and this basically means it has to be a defensive clear, or a drop.)