Lets all talk singles- Defence in particular

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by odjn, Jul 7, 2004.

1. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    For me, my singles game would be best if i could build a stronger defence. I think that my offensive shots are good, and my quickness is good, but my defence is horrible :( . I would like some advice on how to recieve shots like hard down the line/cross court smashes, drops, and all. Usually my opponents would hit the birdy to me in a really frustrating shot, and i'll be forced to make a weak return, setting them up for an easy point.

One thing I'd like advice on from all you gurus out there, is how to take smashes. Mainly after a serve and all. How do you get into position, and how would you move into a defensive position to get the smash, (for example like getting a smash on your backhand side). I've seen different movements from videos. I've been taught to turn then lunge with the right foot towards my backhand side (i'm right handed), to get the backhand smash. But I watched a danish video with peter gade in it, and he just shuffles without turning, to cover his backhand.

So I'm confused about the right way to move.

Also I know that reaction time in doubles and singles is different. For doubles it's just being able to get really powerfull smashes, but in singles it's different. Sometimes my reflexes are so bad that I would just stand on the court watching the bird drop right in front of me while my opponent plays a net shot. But for some reason in doubles, getting a powerfull smash is just a walk in the park.

I hope I can read much of your guy's knowledge :)

2. stevesim89

stevesim89 Regular Member

student
    there isn't really the right way to move. it all depends on the style of the player.
    I personally think that ur way of turning to receive a smsh for the back hand isn't a good idea because it might take too much time and smashes are really fast so u dont have the time to actiually turn around.

3. leonheart88

leonheart88 Regular Member

defend

i think i have the same problem with you...but i think my defend is not good compare to other people because i always focus on smashing and never consider about defend...my couch advised me not to smash while playing single for a few weeks and i hope this can help me...another thing is we have to bend our knee very low and have our leg always getting ready before the shuttle return...just like our leg is a bomb that will exploded once the shuttle hit by the opponent...however..i would like some other advice about this too..thanks

around.[/QUOTE]

4. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Left leg lunging on the backhand smash defence can work well, especially for taller players, turn the left foot outwards towards the side, push off hard from the middle with the right leg. If necessary let the right leg follow for more extreme smashes so you recover with both feet. You need to be able to reach the "outside" of the shuttle so it can be pulled crosscourt.

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

6. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Actually, both are good, but you use the lunge when the birdie is too far to reach with a shuffle.