Our Olympic Journey

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by jump_smash, Aug 11, 2004.

1. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    From Badminton Australia Website
    www.badminton.org.au

Our Olympic Journey
    From Geraldine Brown,
    Team Manager.
    Hi All,

Just a note to update you on the trip so far. Left Melb. on time with the swimmers on our plane. They were very recogn isable with there travelling outfits (supplied by swimming but similar to Commonwealth Games) so everyone knew who they were. We had not been booked together and were mixed in with them. The steward was very helpful and found seats in Business for all our players - then he came back and said that Mr Sze and I could go upstairs as well. Very nice!! I spent my trip next to Head Coach of swimming and had quite intersting discussions with him - Leigh Nugent.

We were met at the airport by Kenneth from Singapore badminton and the shuttle bus from Mercure so no problems with transport. Kenneth has been very helpful and around quite a lot. He came back to the hotel with us and although the checking in took a very long time he tried to speed it up. The Mercure is going to be their sponsorship hotel for Singapore Open . Had some discussions with Jacqueline (she is managing Singapore team ) ex Prime Ministers Dept. and now with badminton for past 2 years. Badminton has had a massive influx of funds - $6,000,000.00 (yes 6) to make Singapore on the map in badminton terms. They have two halls on with 8 courts and one with six, junior coach, 3 senior coaches (one head coach) 3 full time feeders (paid) and 2 casual feeders (paid) and two squads, wanting to make it up to 60. The second hall has restaurants, health club etc. which I imagine are rented out to gain some funds. Other hall (old) is used for training primary juniors in morning, secondary in afternoon, sports school people in afternoon, and development squad (who are in normal school) in the evening. Very, very heavy stuff. The old hall has been updated, no public courts anymore, mats throughout, massage room, gym, lounge, etc. etc. Full time sports doctor and part time masseurs.

Our hotel is fine, rooms bigger than Jakarta, only 10 minutes by taxi to hall. Learned about that, don't book a taxi take pot luck as it is an extra $3.50 if you book, don't travel at peak time as that is extra too, etc. etc. No problems just learning - players settled in well, heat is a bit of a problem at this stage but getting better. Two trainings yesterday and two today. With second squad last night , No 1 this morning. Everyone is in a good mood and getting along very well. Hotel is over the road from a big shopping centre with an excellent food court and also there is a rather large market in close proximity which has everything -- we have gone mad on the fresh tropical fruit. Mr Sze even had a Durian which is a bit over the top. The rest of us settled for the more acceptable rambutans, mangosteins etc.

The schedule is tiring (mostly due to heat) breakfast at no later than 7 then off to hall around 8 return at 12, then lunch, rest and back to hall at three till 5.30, then dinner etc. In bed last night by 9.30 - everyone, so that shows the effort.

2. jump_smash

IT
    www.badminton.org.au

Our Olympic Journey
    From Stuart Brehaut 5 August
    As many would know our Olympic journey started nearly 15 mths ago, however our official journey started on the 28th of July at Melbourne Airport. To say the trip got off to a good start would be an understatement as we were all upgraded from economy to business class for the 8 hour flight to Singapore. (A seat that can turn into a bed was the highlight of the business class experience.)
    Arriving in Singapore at around 10pm meant it was a quick trip form the
    airport to the hotel and straight into bed as we had our first training
    session scheduled fro 8.30am the next morning. Our first session as spent training with ourselves and we all realised that training in Singapore would not be an easy task. Very hot (around 30 or above everyday) and humid conditions mean we all have to take at least 2 shirts for every session(except Lenny who normally needs 5 or 6).
    As we have been here for 5 days now training has become a little easier. Our day starts at 7.00am with breakfast, from there it is straight to training for a 8.30am start. The morning session is always games against the Singapore National Squad players at the National Training Centre. This stadium has 7 courts (all Yonex mats) in the main hall and another 6 courts in the 2nd stadium. After the morning session it is home for a shower and a walk across to the food court in the shopping centre which is directly opposite the hotel.
    $4 fried rice and a coke (sprite for Ashley) is the official diet of the boys with the girls often a little more adventurous. The next session starts at 3.30pm which is either on court (Multishuttle) or weights and running. After this session it has become a tradition for most of the players to head straight for the pool at the hotel. Many hours have already been spent in the pool, our made up games using a $1.05 plastic ball or Kate's tennis ball entertaining the other hotel guests and locals.
    With the 2nd week now started, only 6 sessions remain before we board the plane for Athens.

3. jump_smash

IT
    www.badminton.org.au

Our Olympic Journey
    From Lenny Permana 8 August

ROAD TO ATHENS
    We finished our last training session yesterday morning with the Singapore
    badminton team.
    And for me especially, I played a singles marathon game for nearly more than
    one hour on the last session.
    The Singapore players have been very helpful and supporting us well. And
    yes, if you ask me how is my training while in here...I would say sweating
    exccesively....
    But we enjoyed ourself and we train two sessions everyday, with gym
    exercises every alternate day.
    During our free time, Jane and Kate spend most of their time studying.
    While most of the time I swim after each training session for recovery,
    watching TV or surfing the net.
    The most important, I have learnt a lot of thing from the training sessions
    in here. For me as a player as well as to give some next time for the some
    of the kids at the "Badminton Academy of Victoria".
    The girls enjoy the food in here, and normally we have rice in the afternoon
    and sometimes noodles for dinner. Jane was saying to me yesterday that she
    is getting a bit sick of eating rice everyday and she was wondering about
    what the Greek food in Athens will be like.
    It is quite interesting for me, because I met some of my friends in here. I went our for lunch last Sunday with Jeff Tho's Uncle and his cousins
    (Edwin and Edward).
    Edwin and Edward used to be training under Kobeng while they were in
    Melbourne.
    Another co-incident, while I was chatting on the MSN Messenger, I was
    chatting with one of my University friend from RMIT. In the middle of the
    conversation, she was saying that she is now moving to Singapore. I was so
    suprised because I thought she is still living in USA.
    So we ended up are going to meet somewhere for dinner.
    It is always good to have some friends while we are overseas. And I hope to
    make some more friends when I am in Athens.
    We are going to fly to Athens tonight and all of us are looking forward to
    be there and to be part of the game.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks Jump Smash for Lenny's interesting dairy account of Australia's Badminton's Team stay in Singapore. Glad to note that they were attended to at the airport and the hotel. I hope they are equally happy with the training facilities. I would have gone over to see them train if I had known of this earlier. But now they are flying off to Athens!

It seems there is no problem with food as the food courts here are quite modern, airconditioned and well stocked with a variety of different menus that are reasonably priced. The durian is really difficult especially for the first timer as the smell is hard to get used to. But taste it and you'll never want to miss it again. That's why we call the durian the king of fruits and the harvest this season is so good that they are sold at incredulously low prices. There are different species for those who know the durian well and they all taste different.

Agree that the heat is a little unbearable during this time of the year especially for those accustomed to temperate climes and in addition, the air is humid not dry.

Lenny summarised quite accurately the badminton scene here as regards SBA's training programme from juniors to seniors. We are still lacking in numbers (ideally we should have at least 100 in serious training) and as I have posted previously, we are counting on our Sports School and imported talents to produce them in the longer run. But we need to wait at least another 4 years for any appreciable results as then the first batch will graduate when they are about 16 to 17 years old. Our Sports School here even boasts of better facilities than many of the National Sports Associations.

It is great to have such a collaboration with Team Australia and may this relationship further in years to come. I'm glad most of the badminton players enjoyed their short stint in Singapore.

5. Hanson j

Hanson j Regular Member

Student
    Go Australia

GO AUSTRALIA!!!

Wishing everyone well and hope you can cope with the heat.
    Lenny we hope you can beat Kelly Morgan and get into the second round.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!
    ;)