Smash return, need help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by boilermaker, Oct 10, 2004.

1. boilermaker

boilermaker Regular Member

Hello the badminton wise,

I have this problem. When a particular oponent smashes me, I tend to return it with forehand lift. The way I hit is is kind of awkward, I tend to hit it like a single service, ie. shoulder face rather than squaring against him.

With the other openents, I don't have this problem.

What is the reason, and how should I correct it?

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Boilermaker,

Have you tried searching for answers in previous threads? Smash returns can be trained, just do lots of driving rallies/drills. In defence you should be squaring against him with your racquet in front, that way, you can defend 80% (rough figure) of the area in front of you using backhand stroke. The forehand side does seem to be a vulnerable spot for attack since most players are already defensively strong in the back hand side. Your opponent made an aimed shot that forces you pop one up, he's probably very experienced and knew how to exploit your weakness in that situation.

To prevent this, you could get into defence mode as soon as you realise that the contact will be made overhead (with racquet pointing at the source of the attack). Also if it's a doubles situation, you could position yourself closer to the tramline on your forehand side and give him less space to exploit.

Point is always try to take the shuttle early... even in defence.

#2 cappy75, Oct 10, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  3. SaintDragon

SaintDragon Regular Member

Student
    You may also find it more effective if you can do a backhanded return on your forehand side.

4. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

its better to return with a backhand then forehand?
    i didn't know that :confused:

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Just try it... forehand defence is more awkward when taking a shot directed at your body. It's even worst among recreational club players who are regularly being tested on their backhand side more than their forehand side.

6. bad-min-ton

bad-min-ton Regular Member

student
    it doesn't really matter. does it?

7. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    tricky return

The way i return forehand smashes is quite tricky, although the success rate is high if you manage to pull it off. If it is a direct smash to my body or leg on the forehand side, i usualy turn sideways so that im facing the birdie. Then, i pull my arm up a bit so my elbow is bent, and the racket face is facing the net. In this position, you put your racket where the birdie is and either drive it back or just angle yoru racket face so that that person's smash is turned into a drop against him/her.

Sometimes I do a little hop if I want to drive it back even flatter, with the same principal as a jump smash: more height, mroe angle.

Cheer,
    Charzord

P.S. This is only if the birdie is clsoe to yoru body. Any other smashes further away from your body, you can either do a simple forehand clear/drop or if its too far, throw yoru racket in hopes of saving it :D:D:D.

8. boilermaker

boilermaker Regular Member

charzord,

I did it the same way you described. The problem is that if you might not be able to recover if the oponent keep smashing to you on your right.

I tried what the wise people here suggested. I had a forehand grip and held the racket head low, slight above my knee. The effect was good, I managed to return quite well.

This way works well for me, but if the smash is high at about shoulder height, then I could only do a block with backhand grip.

I think the best way might have been a backhand grip with slightly higher racket head, in between shoulder and knee. I will try it and report.

Thanks.

9. Yazoo

Yazoo Regular Member

Student
    I always return smashes with my backhand. Having my right shoulder facing the net while doing my backhand gives me just enough time to recover and enough time to be able to switch from my backhand to a quick forehand. If my way of doing it doesn't work then try to decrease the chances of your opponent doing a smash by either dropping or doing a low crosscourt shot.