backhand attack clear....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Dyian, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Dyian

Dyian New Member

student
    my backhand is pretty weak...is there a certian method
    How do you improve your backhand clears?

2. L-vin

L-vin Regular Member

Practice...Practice...Practice... You could find another person to hit clears to yr backhand and of course, yr're supposed to hit backhand clears back...

My backhand is better than my forehand:)

3. Woven

Woven Regular Member

beggar
    practice heaps when youre on court, when youre not try excercising ur wrist with weight. thats how i improved my backhand :) :)

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Any recommendation how to strengthen your wrist ?

5. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    But you are not really using your wrist in executing a backhand stroke...

Anyway, I have seen people practice backhand lifts, sending the shuttle vertically upwards. That helps I think...

6. milkteddy

milkteddy Regular Member

student
    The best equipment to strengthen ur wrist can be made by urself :)
    Take something long and cylindrical (like a relay baton) and tie a piece of string to it.. then on the other end of the string tie a weight (around 2-2.5kg)
    stand with ur arms out and holding the baton in front of u and roll it up .. will strengthen ur wrist if u do it regularly .. ~

7. L-vin

L-vin Regular Member

Squash/tennis rackets might help.... take a ball and start bouncing it with the racket:)

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    the way I was coached when I was young was to play against a high wall. In my opinion this is the best advice for improving the backhand strength. Try to hit different areas on the wall, varying the height as well. Do this everyday if you can and adapt the stroke for the BH clear.

If your technique is good and all you're after is more strength, this will work, keep practicing against a wall and soon you should be able to BH clear baseline to baseline.

Hope this helps! :)

9. Dyian

Dyian New Member

student
    hmmm...great advice on the BH, my bro told me to avoid it and use overhand
    but each time i use over hand - it either lands out or the smash is pretty weak with not much control....

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Correct advice from your brother. The reason why it lands out or have weak smash is because your footwork is not fast enough to get your body into a comfortable position.

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I would disagree with your brother, I think you should develope a very good backhand before learning how to avoid using it by learning the round-the-head stroke. Like Cheung said, you need to be quick to be able to do this. The backhand is surprising a very good shot to have particularly in doubles.

One thing I would add to my previous post is to think where on the string bed the shuttle strikes (for every shot) when you play against the wall. Try and focus on hitting the sweetspot all the time. A lot of people waste a lot of energy by hitting off-centre shots and hence reducing the power transferred to the shuttle.

12. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    Try this web it might help you www.thebadmintoncoach.co.uk or you may try to move the dumble using your wrist.The weight of a dumble approx 2 - 3 Kg

13. paulchow

paulchow Regular Member

i dunno how important improving your "wrist strength" is just to hit a backhand clear; i'm guessing you're probably strong enough already and you just need to work on smoothing out your technique.

14. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    backhand

As Cooler can attest, I've got a pretty good backhand.

How did I get there...? Well don't take into account I'm built like the average linebacker - muscle mass has little to so with it.

The first key is to take the bird as high in your swing as possible.

The second it making sure that not only you have a god wrist snap, but you also have a good elbow snap. Most people I see that struggle with backhands can't get the timing of the elbow.

The idea is to snap your wrist at the same moment you extend your arm "like a whip", where start of the whip is at the elbow. (Yes there is shoulder movement, but that happens with any backhand) but allow your arm to carry through the shuttle.

The best is to practice with someone on court, but two drills I did to help me:

1) Hitting the shuttle up to the roof. Make sure to hit the shuttle in front of you eye height or higher. Try 100 to start.

2) Broom handle raises. Get a broom handle, grip it at one end like you would a raquet and rotated your wrist back and forth from a 9 o'clock to 3'oclock position.

After three sets of those, you can then try extending the handle out in front of you like a sword and lift it back until it touches your head (another three sets of ten).

This will help strenghten your forearm for thre backhand motion.

15. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    But do I hit it like a mortal, or with a godly swing?

-dave

16. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    if you have a godly swing then i suggest you use it ;)

17. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    depends if Zeus is a relative...

:rolleyes:

I need to spell check more often.

18. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Is your technique correct? I remember learning my back hand with this video that tells you to keep you back parrallel to the net and make sure you have a FULL swing, not just a snap. If you can learn this motion, you backhand slice drops should be better.

19. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    Most times though people don't have time to take a full swing, if they do, they go around the head. I'm an old school type whose backhand is used as a offensive weapon as I'm blessed with backhand that is harder than many people's forehands.

The elbow/wrist snap basially amounts to a full swing, because doing that forces you to rotate your shoulder. yes, having you back to the net is pretty much how I hit my backhand, though I find going cross court with my smash, being slightly turned into the net allows me a better look at where I'm hitting and gives me a little better angle towards the lines.

However hitting a cross court backhand slice while you're completly turned away fromt he net is one evil shot.

:D