The best clear-er?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by New_Guy04, Dec 16, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

Out of all the pros, who has the best overhand clear?

i am talking bout ones that go fast and not-so-high (AKA attaking clear)

i want to watch the videos of that player and learn her technique..

can u correct me? how do u do an attacking clear? do u mostly use ur arm or ur wrist... i use more arm and the clear has either too much power, so it goes out, or it is too slow...

2. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    use more wrist then..... :p

wrist will make the clear go faster and shorter. arm tends to make it go slow but nice and deep.

3. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

thx for that advise... i'll keep practicing,,, but i need inspiration, which pro is 'particulary' better than others at attacking clears?

4. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    I just don't understand why some people keep saying that if you use more wrist, it will go faster and cover less/same distance....
    I have had some physics course and still do not understand... If the speed of the head of the racket is the same, same energy transfered so same speed....

For attacking clear: There is no ideal height at wich you have to send the birdie.... The taller the guy, the higher you will have to make your clear....
    Also, if you are near the center and want to clear, you will have to clear higher than if you are on the side....

5. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hmmm, agree here - the only difference between attacking clear and defending clear is trajectory - the attacking clear is flatter, but doesn't drop as steeply, the defending clear is higher / loopy-er (?) and your aiming for a vertical drop like a high serve to reduce the attack off it..
    The attacking clear is more wristy because it it usually used as a deceptive shot to catch a player out who is waiting for a drop or a smash. this may be where the 'faster' illusion comes in, also because the trajectory is flatter the distance covered is shorter.

as for best clearer - difficult, this is a bread and butter shot for every player out there, if you can't clear well you wouldn't get very far.
    i think Kenneth Jonassen probably is worth looking at - he likes to rally in his singles - take a look at his match with Xia in the last WC. Both players have phenomenal all round games, you could probably pick up everything from those two in those three games.

hope this help

coops

6. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    If you give a slicing affect to the bird when you clear it, you'll notice the bird will stop in midair and fall strait down, instead of falling in a rainbow like path. This is how i do my attacking clears.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

My recommendation on players to watch for good attacking clears: Ye Zhaoying, Zhang Ning... You may be able to find some videos (e-mule??) and observe how they do it. Female players are easier to watch and learn from.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    An attacking clear is faster than a defensive clear, and although it does not travel as long a distance, mainly because of its straighter trajectory, it must be as near towards the back line as possible to be really punishing. The use of a strong whipping action in the attacking clear gives it extra zip and speed to go past your opponent and catch him by surprise.

9. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Best Clearer are the ones with a stroke that looks exactly the same when they clear and drop. The reason is simple, if your opponent can read your clear, they can move back with time to spare. But if your clear and drop looks the same then it becomes impossible to "cheat" and your opponent has to be "stuck" to the ground and defend both possible shots.

A few player to check out that are very good "clearer" are Yang Yang and Zhao Jin Wa.. (sp? )