style of play in mixed double

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by acwong, Dec 27, 2004.

1. acwong

acwong Regular Member

In Singles, I am one of those defensive player who don't smash often, rather i wait for my opponent to make an unforce error.
    Can I play the same way in MD? When I look at the pros, the guy is always a offensive power hitter who basically smash on everything he can.
    Does the guy need to be a hard hitter to be effective?

2. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi,

i think that i will attack opponent rather than they attack me.
    As ladies i feel that they r not so powerful in returning / defending.
    which cause the opponents have chances to attack back.
    U will need to see if they r gd attacker or defender.
    u will not waste energy in attacking if they r gd in defence.
    same for defending.
    This is my opinon not to critise ladies on the above.
    Thks.

ceng

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! Better stick to singles then... cuz if you're gonna lift alot in mixed doubles or even men's doubles for that matter, your partners have better be really really understanding to the point of being masochistic about it:D.

FYI, you don't have to hit the shuttle too hard when playing at the backcourt. You just need to place it well and keep the shuttle low to be effective. Men's doubles is hard enough with coordination, one needs alot more control with mixed doubles. When you lift in a mixed doubles, the lady player will be in front most of the time and won't have much time to get back to side defence.

If you're a guy and you want to appreciate the lady's court situation more, why don't you play one game with her at the back most of the time:p? Also, tell her that you guys should play a defensive game:rolleyes:. You'll be lucky if she's a strong player and not lift it to your crosscourt:D.

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Placement shots

Wouldn't play MxD the same way you play singles, but you can adopt a mixed style where you might only hit aggressive shots on weak replies from your opponent. I like to play a cat-&-mouse game (or sort of a chess game) where we are trying force our opponents to lift a defensive shot so that we can attack.

I tend to use a lot of low placement shots rather than power shots when playing either mixed or straight doubles, much moreso in mixed than regular doubs. Both my shots & my partner's shots would consist of a lot of drops and mid-court pushes rather than hitting a lot of drives or clears. I also try to place shots to spots that creates confusion in the minds of our opponents (they don't know right away who should be taking the shot that I just placed).

Following these tactics, we try to force out opponents to hit up to us so that we can control more rallies and so that we can hit down more often. At the same time, we are not lifting the shuttle very much to allow our opponents to hit down on us. If you or your parter hits drives it may also give your opponents control of more rallies; but it depends on the situation. When this happens, you (as the defensive guy in the back) are probably scrambling quite a bit from side to side.

If the opposing guy is deep in one corner it might be OK to hit an attacking clear towards the other back corner. If you or your partner should happen to hit a clear (or other shot) that puts you on the defensive, I would have the net player come back in a staggered (offset) formation... something between a front-back formation & a side-side formation until you are no longer playing defensive shots.

All of the scenarios above assume that the opposing guy is playing the back court somewhat deep. If the back player is playing the back position almost mid-court (rather than deep), then your mid-court pushes may often be ineffective. In this case you or your partner might try a fast drive deep to a back corner to push him back (into a less offnesive position).

Of course, the tactics I described here might not quite suit your game. You should develop a game plan that avoids the weaknesses of you & your partner. At the same time, you want tactics that will play to your strengths.

#4 SystemicAnomaly, Dec 27, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol, right on the point.

My MXD partner has very strong strokes, somehow, i think she covers the back court more often than I do, in our MXD games. :rolleyes: