a couple of footwork questions

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Jan 1, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

i have a few footwork questions from seeing pros play:
    1. Alot of times i see peter gade run backwards, not chasse or crossing over, or grape vining, he runs backwards about two steps than pivots on his left foot so his right is behind so he can hit. When are you supposed to do this? only when you're running directly back or to the round your head position?
    2. Sometimes i see pros grape vining backwards, like chasse or shuffling except putting their left foot behind, when are you supposed to do this? How far of a distance???
    3. I know that when you drop from the middle position you shuffle one step back but what do you do if you do a drop to an opposite corner( i think its called a cross country drop, not sure) what do you do, go to the middle? i see pros doing alot of different things

2. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

1. I think he runs backwards because he wants to rush there and perform a jump smash. However this move is not energy efficient even though it does get you there quickly. So basically you do it if you're aiming for a kill.

2. This step is what I'd call the chasse actually, this is to the back racket hand corner right? Right leg steps first so that both feet are in line to the racket hand corner and then left leg crosses the right leg from the back and when left leg is already crossed right leg shoots out to the back. This is normal footstep and is more efficient on energy. You use it in most situations when you are not under great pressure to reach the shuttle in time.

3. We're talking about the split step here right? The move you do when your opponent plays a shot? Well, what I prefer to do is to not shuffle backwards, infact I just stand on my toes and the balls of my feets and bounce on it with a regular and small rythm as if its a spring without letting my feet off the ground and making sure there is enough pressure in my calves and thighs so that I can sprint out in any direction. But not too much, otherwise your reaction time won't be good as you have to fight off that pressure first before you take off.

If you do make a wrong step into an opposite corner with your first step, then you have to fight off your momentum that's directing you into the wrong corner with all you have, and create an unorthodox footwork to get you where you want. What I normally do is to immediately break and lower my center of gravitation then immediately do a rotational jump to align both my feet to align to the corner I need to go to and just dash out with great speed using the normal footwork.