skill improvement

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nsalah, Jan 26, 2005.

1. nsalah

nsalah Regular Member

Hi,

I am studying AS Physical Education and my coursework is based on badminton.

1) I know that to be a successful player you must have speed, strength, stamina and suppleness but I can't think of a practical example of why you need each.

2) If you could give me any information on badminton, eg/ warm up and warm downs, ways of improving speed, etc, how to return a smash would be EXTREMELY appreciated, or even if you know of any good websites where I could obtain this information.

Thankyou for your help,
    Natalie

2. nsalah

nsalah Regular Member

Just read Kwuns articles,

Just to let you know I'm a female mesomorph intermediate badminton player. Please write a book on badminton, I really appreciate any information. Especially regarding the components of fitness needed in badminton and why.

Thanks again for your help,
    Natalie

3. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    There is a thread titled Questionnaire which has alot of answers similar to what you are looking for.Here is my answers to that questionnaire.Use the search function and use advanced search to find the thread.

What qualities would a person need to have in order to be a successful badminton player?

Physically: Explosive power in the legs and upper body to be able to reach and take shots earlier.

Endurance to recover from long rallies plus the ability to continue with a fast rally right after another.

Solid technique and footwork as the game is measured in milliseconds for the reaction time to return the shot and maintain enough speed on the shot for footwork to keep up with the shuttle speed given by the opponent.

Flexibility to reach shots from every imaginable position.

Mentally: Concentration to be able to tune out all other distractions and focus on the task at hand.

Focus visually on the shuttle to be able hit cleanly with consistency and still see where and how well the opponent is moving to be able to exploit any weaknesses.When tired the ability to focus on keeping your technique together as that is the aspect which usually costs you the game.

Emotional detachment from the rallies and antics of your opponent.The ability to pump yourself up in rallies to equal or better intensity of your opponent as well as the ability to calm down when too much adrenaline is affecting your performance.