Finer points of forehand strokes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by boilermaker, Jan 31, 2005.

1. boilermaker

boilermaker Regular Member

Hello all,

I need to seek the advices of the wise guys here again. I did a search but did not quite get the answers I wanted.

I find it very hard to master the drop/slice drop and punch to mix well with my smashes. In contrast, smashes are relatively easy for me.

The actual technique has been discussed at length in this forum. I wanted to know if there is any difference/adjustment you make when making these strokes, with respect to contact points and height.

Assume a right hand person, and during smashes, his right hand extend upwards, hitting the shuttle at "11 'o clock" position (directly above the head being 12' 'o clock).

With the above reference in mind. Assuming I can repeat the same preparation as the smash:
    - do you hit the shuttle at the same point for a half smash? Higher or lower contact point?
    - How about the slice drop? Do you slice DOWN more with wrist movement or arm/forearm moving down?
    - Do you punch at the same contact point or higher?

Thank you.

2. Pball

Pball Regular Member

If I'm not mistaken the drop smash is taken a bit earlier.. 10 o'clock. Some of the more knowledgeable players should know for sure..

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Ideally, I believe that you should take all overhead forehand strokes from the same position - with the shuttle in front of you. You can play all of them using the "smash action". The only exception is a defensive clear, which needs to be taken more directly above you.

You can use your wrist to adjust the angle of hitting.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree with Gollum.

Maybe because you have been so used to hitting the shuttle so hard and fast as you are quite happy with your smashes, that you have less inclination to hit it 'softer' and with more wrist work. The softer and more delicate touch is required in the drop shots and depending on how fast or steep you want them to be, you need to experiment with controlling the hitting speed and angle of your racket head.

You should practise on the 'direct' drop shots, ie, hitting the bird squarely on your strings at varying racket head speeds (vary your arm speed swings) and when you are satisfied with the desired result, then you can graduate to 'slicing' the shuttle at an angle until you perfect your sliced or cut drops. But as always, catch the bird at its highest at 10, 11 or even 12 o'clock!

Experiment at various heights, angles on the FH and BH and with different 'touches' to suit your style of play and not fogetting good balance and footwork! ;)