mental problem playing doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TrueBlue, Feb 10, 2005.

1. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

hi! when i play doubles i often loose my nerves...This means i don`t know where i am positioned in relation to my partner on the court (although i know perfect about doubles strategy on paper). i think i have to play the perfect shot and then i am making so many mistakes... then my partner starts to do the same (trying to play impossible shots.) the problem is i really liked doubles in the past. now i m more into singles but everyone is playing doubles in my training group.
    If i try avoiding mistakes the opponents take control of the game and we loose..
    I dont know i m always getting nervous in doubles with all the things going on like partner excusing, encouraging the partner,.....
    is there any hope i can find my doubles qualities again or should i just play singles?
    (i have a fix partner - better -but play with others most the time)

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Work out a strategy beforehand with your partner. Generally you should think about you and your partner being linked by a short rope which is staked in the court about a foot off the T and when you move back away from the T, your partner is pulled forward and vice versa (always keep the rope taut).

The other thing is to relax and settle down. Mistakes happens and the key is not to linger on it as the next rally is different from the previous.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Like the title itself, it's a mental issue, as both players seem lost trust in each other - each one want to finish and win the rally, by himself. Try to work out a strategy between your 2, and learn how to trust each other. You don't have to score every point when u touch the shuttle, sometimes, set up for ur partner, will lead to better result. ;)

4. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

I think its quite difficult to work out a strategy if you always mix pairs and play wuth different people. Everyone seems to have a few strage tactics he considers as usual.
    About the mistakes...i dont know how to play "safe shots" in doubles..i mean if you have a bad day you cannot always play clears to make no mistakes, can you?
    And most people dont seem to be keen on talking about tactics. Its like you are saying something bad about the team if you make clear that you have some problem in moving on the court ("tactics").