Keeping your racket head up

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Mar 5, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Should i always keep my head up except for my swings, like before and after my swing, because sometimes i see #1 varsity players at my school drop their racket when they move and raise it again. Does this cause a loss in momentum or does it help produce strength in overhead swing because of the extra movement you have to make? Thanks

2. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

it depends. put your racket at the level of your belly after you hit a shot and before your opponent hits it. if the shot he plays is net, drop, or smash, get ready for it. otherwise, if its clear or drive, put your racket up and be ready. im no expert so correct me if Im wrong.:)

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    It's always better to have your racquet up and ready (around your chest height and in front of you). If you are attacking, then more than likely you should have your racquet up to hit down on any weak returns.

4. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Well, i know that sometimes, players will drop the raquet head if they are in the back court and see that their opponent just hit a drop or net shot. I'm not sure why, but I think this will be more energy efficient as you will not be dropping the arm again and swinging when you get to the bird. Instead, all you have to do is swing when you get there.

5. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Well when i see the number 1 varsity guy play, when his opponent hits a clear he drops his racket so that his racket head is a few cm away from the floor and then he starts to backpedal, and then he brings it back up. I might be wrong. If you are from Gunn you might know what i'm talking about.

6. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    It might just be a habit he has. As far as I kno, dropping your racket that low is a taboo. Always keep it from mid thiegh to shoulder height.

7. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

it depends if u know u are going overhand(watch oppenet movements) keep it up then right after put ur racquet around waist level so if the bird smashes u will not waste time moving ur racquet down.