for girls playing mixed...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pandee720, Mar 10, 2005.

1. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

i was playing mixed today and i hit a girl TWICE in the face... it was like a total accident but she was PISSED!! maybe it's because my partner and i were like having fun and laughing from time to time and she was serious... and they still lost... but still, would you (girl) get mad at the guy opponent if he hits you in the face multiple times? the guys will say that you're supposed to do that but even knowing that, would you (girl) think that the guy meant to hit you if he hits you multiple times? even if he says sorry? (although i was kinda having fun and i sorta smiled to my partner after i said sorry... [​IMG])

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    did u mean to?:cool:

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Just becareful thou, you might hurt peoples feelings and stuff and not realise it. Plus accidents could've happened....

4. jingo

jingo Regular Member

IT
    I agree with you FEND. But there are girls which I played with and I hit her twice! :eek: during service return and she never complained about it, all she said is it's part of the game (Pretty tough girl!). So, I think it depends on the player itself how she look on to the game. But there is also some girls who see it differently and silently or explosively get mad at you. :crying: :D

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    If it's casual games, do your opponents a favor and play seriously. I find that fun games can be had either everybody goof off or play competitively. Condition being that everybody is of the same mood. I am sure there are many ways to kill off a BBQ netshot, aiming away from your opponent would just be as effective:p. This would really be a good time to practice your aiming;).

The only exception would be competitive tournament, you gotta go in with the intent to demolish your opponents in any way you can (within the context of the sport, of course:D ). No mercy in this case!

6. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    I don't think i've ever hit a girl twice in the face in one game....yikes.
    If you are able to hit someone consistantly
    A. they arn't very good so back off a bit.
    Or B. It's their/their partners fault for setting you up.

At a tournament a while back i was playing mixed and made a poor lift as a result my partner got it right in the mouth. She had a nice swollen lip. I'm sure she blamed me more than the guy that hit her.

7. Trickster

Trickster Regular Member

Funny but just the other week I was playing a league match and due to the fact that the female had such a bad serve she got hit 3 times in the body by me. Then after that her partner then did a very weak lift due to the fact she steped back and ducked I caught her on the head. She must have felt like she had a bullseye on her, I did apologise each time.

I do feel sorry for the women playing at the front at times as they have so little time to react to most shots.

8. watababe

watababe New Member

Marketing Manager in a Badminton Court East of Man
    so long as its not intentional, i suppose it's ok. getting hit is a part of the game. girl or boy, doesnt make any difference... personally, i like it when a male opponent (in a mixed double match) plays the match like its all male doubles. i get such a high giving a good defense especially if a smash came from a male opponent.

girl power!

9. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i don't usually play casual mixed doubles...so no experience to draw from there...

there was this one time during competitive mixed doubles that i hit the gurl square in the forehead right off her first serve to me.... i apologized, but since it was competitive, i didn't make a big fuss out of it... fortunately, she didn't either...

10. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. Strange enough this topic pops up.

(Might be offtopic)
    I'm gonna be playing in the college's 'in-house' tourney tomorrow, swiss style... possibly will go thru about 5 - 6 weeks. The thing is now.. since there are only 10 pairs who signed up (this is only doubles) we could see XD playing vs MD and stuff or even WD vs MD and stuff.

For me, although a few accidents happened when I play XD in Brunei last time, I try and avoid hitting girl as much as I can. It's just me.... I'm gonna practice some etiquette in the games if I play vs XD or WD... as I'm playing MD...

11. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Maybe she thought that you kept hitting her on purpose. Lol. Especially if she was the weaker player.

I do have a question. Why is it I only get smashed at when I'm playing mix doubles?? I mean, in singles/doubles my body rarely gets hit by the shuttle. But when I play in mix..

Most likely because girls are usually(I said USUALLY) the weaker ones in mix doubles. If I had the chance to kill the shuttle, I'd aim straight for the girl too!

Then again, getting hit by the shuttle is part of badminton.

12. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

I think its mainly because you were joking around and wasting your opponents' time. you even smiled at your partner after hitting her. no matter whether you did it on purpose or not, your attitude is what pissed the girl. I suggest that you be serious and polite when you play badminton. a game is not just between you and your partner, but your opponents as well. you can have plenty of time joking around and laughing when not playing.

PS: my words may be a little bit harsh. I apologize for that. I just absolutely dislike people who are not serious when playing a game.

13. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

by personal experience girls always get mad :p

when i smash i say sorry before i hit the other girls it's a bad habit

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It really depends on the situation, either girls or guys could get mad, but girls seems to be more sensitive sometimes:

1. If it's a competitive game, we might need to fight to death for every single rally. Body hit is part of the game, even though it's might be dangerous. If she got hit on the face, means she did not have her racket up all the time, and/or she and/or her partner has bad defense, with weak lift.

2. If a causal game, and the girl is clearly below ur lvl, I think ur strategy of body hitting is kinda too much. Try to smash down to the corner, or drop, instead of directly hitting ppl in the face.

3. If u really feel sorry, be serious. After all, u hit someone, and to be worst, it's the face (most dangerous). Imagine switching roles, she's much better than u in skill, hitting ur face, and kept laughing at u, how u will feel??? :eek:

15. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    Here is a girl's perspective.. I play a lot of mixed. If it is a serious game..ie tournament, then getting smashed at is part of the game. If it is a fun game, then the opponents should have the good sense not to aim for the face. Most players have enough control to be able to direct the shot elsewhere. If you smile after you hit the girl in the face, then of course she will get pissed off! There is absolutely no occasion that warrants a smirk after hitting an opponent in the face!

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Probably because you got weak partner who couldn't keep his shot low:D. Also you have less time to back up when your team is on the defensive, it's harder to switch to defence since there's less rotation going on than doubles.

Mixed is a whole different dimension comparing to doubles and singles. Someone once told me that mixed is a combination of speed and control rather than speed and power in doubles. That means the man can't just power his shot when he gets to the shuttle, he gotta really pick a spot so that it'll get past the lady opponent and still stretch/pressure his opposite.

#16 cappy75, Mar 10, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    One more thing, as most of us are just club lvl players, means us and opponents both don't have very good reflex time. Therefore, "face shot" could be a very dangerous attempt, as ppl are easily getting hurt (i.e. don't know to always hold up the racket).

Be extra careful, winning is good, but bloody battle is no fun for anyone. :(

18. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

ok, first of all, the guy did a semi-clear from the left side of the court. i smashed from the BACK OF THE COURT towards the right as many of us in mixed would probably do since we want to hit away from the guy. the girl was RIGHT BY THE NET IN THE CENTER! of course im not good enough to look down right before i hit to see where everyone's positioned so it was totally unintentional. the smash would have gone to mid-right of the court since the smash wasn't that accurate enough to go all the way to the alley but it was a powerful smash... or so everyone told me... in my opinion, it was miscommunication between the opponents and the girl was too slow to react or she should have ducked lower or should have gotten out of the way at least! i mean... from the back of the court and getting hit in the face means she did SOMETHING wrong right? of course i think her racquet was down and not by her face where it should have been... [​IMG]

19. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

Girls should wear goggles against power players. I've seen guys wearing them too.

20. $100 Dreams

$100 Dreams Regular Member

:confused: Goggles? Ive seen people wearing glasses tho except in international tournements. I wear glasses too or theres no way i can see the shuttlecock so it gets dangerous if your opponent chooses to hit you on the face. For a girl, it gets embarressing if u get hit too often especially if the other is a guy!

But i think its alright, part of sports ;) if its not to the extend of bleeding :p