Does weight-lifting affect growth?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kamikaze, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    Hi, this summer im working on strength, speed and techinique. Soon i will begin working on my strenght; I am thinking about lifting weights. But a friend of mine warned me that it will affect me height and my arm reach. Is this true? I heard this before but some people said it was a myth.

2. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

I would say no. look at those top players. none of them are muscular compared to football players. perhaps, more hittings and running are better.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I remember someone or some article warning of resistance training at an early age. That was a long ago and I am not sure what the experts say about weight training while you're still in your growth stage, but I think it does affect growth and increase likelihood of injury due to isolated development of targeted muscles. Check the older threads on related subject, the pros do train with weights but only lighter ones.

If you want speed and strength development, I suggest you look into how martial art practitioners train. Their ways of training involves the whole body with calisthenics, plyometrics (eg. rope skipping) and just refining their techniques (ie. timing). Most of them don't do much weight training.

#3 cappy75, Jul 17, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  4. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Too young, don't consider working out yet. Wait until you're at least 17 or until you believe you've reached your max growth.

5. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

How old are you? If you haven't stopped growing yet (ard 16-19 yrs old), you must approach weight training with caution. Seek some professional advice if you are unsure.

6. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

lifting anything heavier than your weight can stunt your growth. However, you have to be lifting fairly seriously for that to happen. The growth stunt happened to one of my physical education teachers in junior high, he almost went to the olympics for wrestling, he weighed around 145 was 5"1 tall and could bicep curl 110 lbs!!! Same thing happened to my other friend who took up wrestling and lifted lots of weights.

7. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    i am 15 years old and 120lbs. If weight training is dangerous, what is the ideal training for strenght? i just want to get my clears and smashes more effective.

8. Average

Average Regular Member

In order for the weights to totally stuff up your growth you would have to do very intense workouts and actually push yourself. push ups are good :D

9. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

An interesting article for starters-->
    http://www.acsm.org/pdf/YSTRNGTH.pdf

For badminton, I think the emphasis for weight training is more for endurance and injury prevention, than actual power. Power for badminton comes more from hitting technique; shoulder, forearm pronation, wrist etc. So you should be aiming to do more reps than trying to max out on weight. Do try and seek some professional advice from your coach or gym instructor.

10. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Practice on your technique. I hardly use any strength for clears, just use a fast swing followed by proper technique and you'll be fine.

11. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

There was an article on badminton in the paper once titled 'no wait to weight training' meaning weight training is an essential part of badminton,there is no substitute and cannot be done without if u wanna be a pro.but usually 'heavy 'weights are dealt with after u have finished your teens.
    You should concentrate on your technique and when u feel it is perfect u can start lifting light weights[and there's nothing wrong in that].You can see improvement in your strength rather immediately even though u are using light weights.
    Not only can it affect growth but lifting very heavy weights at your age can result in stiff muscles,not something u can play badminton with.

12. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    Hi, i found this article that shows a way to increase upper body strength lifting weights a certain way.

• Grasp the DB close to your body and lie down carefully on your back on a bench;
    • Bend your knees so that your back is comfortable and in a ‘neutral’ position – neither arched nor flat;
    • Hold the DB as shown, with one fist next to the other;
    • Straighten your arms and raise the DB directly above your chest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Slowly take the DB back over your head, breathing in and keeping arms straight;
    • If your back starts to arch as the arms go back, use your abdominal muscles to maintain the neutral lumbar spine position. (This exercise can boost your core stability as well as your arm strength);
    • If your back starts to arch a lot or you feel the stretch in the shoulders, stop. Be careful not to stretch your shoulders too far with a large weight, as you could strain them;
    • Taken to the correct range of stretch, the weight will improve your flexibility in your upper spine and shoulders. You will feel your chest pointing up and your upper back arching a little, while your lower back remains in neutral.
    Anyone think this will affect my growth/arm reach?

13. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    I personally started lifting weights when I was 13. I kept on growing until I was 16. Does weight training affect your growth? I don't think so. Does improper training harm you? Definately!

At age 15 you still have plenty of years ahead when you can start lifting weights. But if you wish to start it now then do try to find a badminton coach who knows about badminton specific weight training. If a good coach is not available, then I'd start with very small weights and experiment what works for you and what doesn't.

In general I'd say (and I'm not a badminton coach!) that concentrate on your LOWER body - your legs do almost all the work in game! For upper body I'd concentrate on the shoulders & wrists. BTW the move you showed is ok but not the best one: it does affect your shoulders, but it ain't the most efficient one. Try this: stand straight with dumpbells on both hands on your sides (start with about 4 kg each). Lift the dumpbells up in front of you until about chin level, and keep your arms straight. Then slowly return the dumpbells back to starting position, and repeat this 15 - 20 times. Hmm, not very good explanation but hopefully you got it :eek: .

14. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

In Canada all the national training center guys weigh train.

15. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Regular Member

Student
    I'll be sure to test it out, thank you!

16. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    From every physical education teacher I had, they told my class and I that excessive weight training CAN stunt your growth. If you don't over-do it, you'll be fine. I personally don't believe I've been stunted growth because everyone was forced to do weight training in that class.

Also, after reading ruth's training journals for IBF, I realized that the endurance and leg muscles are probably WAYyyy more important than anything else. So I'll take up the suggestion for doing more lower body work =)

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    maybe why we're so crappy in world badminton scene :p

18. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Most those guys aren't working upper body that much, it's more core and lower body development.

I'd stick with that - lower body and core. Most badminton players tend to be horribly overdeveloped on their swing side, so some weight work on your non swing side does help balance things up.

My chiro/physio guy said it can be as simple as swing a tennis raquet for 5 minutes with your non playing side so help balance out the muscle.

19. Average

Average Regular Member

thats true viningwolf, my left arm is awkardly small compared to my right(racquet)arm . anyone else notice the same thing?