Reflexes + weaker opponent

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by VinnieTran, Aug 14, 2005.

1. VinnieTran

VinnieTran Regular Member

Student
    Hi

I was just wondering, if i play with a weaker opponent, will my reflexes eventually slow down? If so, should i play and not hold back? Sometimes i feel really bad when i play hard against a weaker opponent, but i just want to be pushed so that i can improve. Any advice will be appreciated ;)

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You need to play higher standard opponents as well. If you are only playing weaker opponents, then yes, your ability will decrease over time.

Thrashing the weaker opponents will not make much difference to your skills -- you are still not under pressure, and therefore will inevitably decline into lazy habits. Better to play nicely :)

3. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    I agree that if you play against a weaker opponent that you skill will eventually start to drop back, a few rallies or games with one i would not see as a problem as long as you are playing with people at and above your skill level. I know the feeling that when you play against them you dont want to go all out but sometimes it can be the best thing to do cause they would be learning to, however it wont benifit you to much...anyways just make sure that your not only playing players that are less skilled than you. Also dont be afraid to lose, you learn more through a loss than a win, but make sure your playing people at or higher that your skill.

4. VinnieTran

VinnieTran Regular Member

Student
    True

I forgot to tell you that i play for a social club. So basically most of the time i am playing people weaker than me. In that case, should i just go all out so that i can at least have a good time or should i just continue to hold back?

5. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

If you really want to improve it's maybe time to move on to another (competition) club.

6. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

i think you should move onto another club, if you can't find one maybe you can look on BF and find a partner around your place