Other aspects that 'should' be addressed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cookiemonster, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster New Member

There are certainly a lot of articles and advice on badminton racquets and equipment, but there is hardly any advice on footwork and game strategies. Can anyone offer some advice on these topics, and include exercises on improving footwork and some strategy for doubles play? For example, is doubles strategy the same as mixed strategy? In doubles strategy, is it 'al right' to be constantly 'picking' on the female player? (assuming the female is weaker- which is not always the case.) Also, if during a doubles match, the player playing back court needs to move forward, then how does the foward player move backwards, or anywhere at all?

During the middle of a game and feeling exhausted, how can a player rejuvenate him/herself, enough to finish a strong game? Drink lots of sugar laced sports drinks?
    Thanks.:)

#1 Cookiemonster, Dec 3, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  2. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    During the middle of a game and feeling exhausted, how can a player rejuvenate him/herself, enough to finish a strong game? Drink lots of sugar laced sports drinks?
    Thanks.:)
    [/QUOTE]

I think fatigue (physically) is only one of problems with short duration of play. I bet that if you are leading, the situation would be different...cos mentally exhausted can affect your play by doing the wrong footwork:crying:, hitting the shuttle to the wrong direction and ended up wasting energy to defend.:(

"Sugar boost" certainly helps me especially when I don't have time to eat before practice or a game...but then again you may introduce the element of excessive insulin production due to fast ingestion of sugar:eek: ...thus leading to a reactive low blood sugar condition.:crying: ...cos I have been through that lots of times...almost pass out in the court once!!

3. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster New Member

.... I bet that if you are leading, the situation would be different...cos mentally exhausted can affect your play by doing the wrong footwork:crying:, hitting the shuttle to the wrong direction and ended up wasting energy to defend.:(

"Sugar boost" certainly helps me especially when I don't have time to eat before practice or a game...but then again you may introduce the element of excessive insulin production due to fast ingestion of sugar:eek: ...thus leading to a reactive low blood sugar condition.:crying: ...cos I have been through that lots of times...almost pass out in the court once!![/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------
    Thanks.... I am usually leading, or not far behind. I also usually only play doubles anyway... So I have a bit of time to recover.

Yes, the sugar boost effect is not common, but it is certainly valid suggestion/comment. How would you suggest avoiding such a phenomenon as light headedness and leading to passing out? Can this be avoided? When you mention the eating part, which foods do you recommend .....(like carbo loading pastas)?

4. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    Thanks.... I am usually leading, or not far behind. I also usually only play doubles anyway... So I have a bit of time to recover.

Yes, the sugar boost effect is not common, but it is certainly valid suggestion/comment. How would you suggest avoiding such a phenomenon as light headedness and leading to passing out? Can this be avoided? When you mention the eating part, which foods do you recommend .....(like carbo loading pastas)?[/QUOTE]

My recent experience is that (since I am now playing 3 times a week plus 1 extra training day) sandwich or light (balance though) meals (low fat othewise slow down stomach emptying:p ) one hour before play or training...definitely water or diluted sugar/ juice beverages 15-20 minutes before play as well. If needed may go diluted CHO drinks throughout play for rehydration. Consistent instead of bolus loading of CHO especially simple CHO such as candies, chocolates, soda, etc. appears less disrutping to blood sugar. But sometimes if I have no time to eat:p , I will use chocolates during play for replenishment (fat to slow down sugar boosting effect:crying: ), but definitely not before...:eek:

Now a high CHO meal may not enhance or even maintain performance in badminton cos CHO holds water especially large amount :eek: ...thus increases your body weight which makes it more difficult to do something like a "super jump-smash" :p