Question about a shot (unsure of name)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kooladen, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Kooladen

Kooladen Regular Member

not sure what this shots called, but i'll try to explain it.. it's not rly an efficient shot.. but more of a shot u'd use when ur casually playing wif friends.. here goes it goes: Say da birds lifted or pushed deep into ur backhand side.. you hav ur elbow up ready to hit a backhand but instead of catching it up high, you hit sumwhat an underhand fore hand backwards (hope u get what i mean) anyways yeah, could anyone explain how do this shot ? whenever i try its weak as crap and usually i miss da bird entirely, even a name for this shot would b much help as i wouldnt mind searching it up

2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

It's around-the-head shot.

3. Kooladen

Kooladen Regular Member

k its not that.. cuz around the head shots arent.. underhanded. . and around the head shots ARE efficient.. the one im tlkin about is some what more of a trickshot if anything

4. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    The action is like spanking someone's behind who's behind you. Yea i know what you mean..... can't hit very far with those.... only place back to the net. any more and you'd risk a 1/3 or 1/2 court dangling shot for the opponent to slam.

Don't think it has a name. Maybe we can call it a 'butt spanker' :D

The Borneon BaddyNut

5. Kooladen

Kooladen Regular Member

yeah everything u saids true lol, ive never seen it used as a clear.. only as a drop and usually its when sum1 backs up.. checks the line.. and is late to hit it then they do the "butt spanker" lol anyways ne tips on doing it sumwhat sucessfully ?

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Court awareness. make sure u know where you are and where the opponent is.

Distance from where you are to the desired location you would like to place the shot. At best use a measuring tape to measure the distance before hand and apply it to Einsteins Formula of E=MC2 :D

Don't forget to call upon the power of the force my young jedi LOL.

On a more serious note.......... the best way to do it is:-
    1) all in the wrist.
    2) as un-often as possible.

Happy New Year!

The Borneon BaddyNut

7. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    I also know what you mean. But some pros, mainly the number 1 indonesian doubles pair,can clear quite deeply. Whenever I try it, i seem to sliceitso itdoesnt go very far. However, somehow they are able to clear it. Anyone got any tips to CLEAR with this, dropping isn't that difficult. :rolleyes:

8. Riceeboy

Riceeboy Regular Member

Oh i like that shot! and I use it quite often too :rolleyes:
    I don't know about u guys but I find it easier to hit the bird that way then with a backhand cuz my backhand is kinda weak... especially when the bird is way behind you. Be sure not to hit the bird with too much power or u will get smashed back, use just enough power for the bird to pass over the net

9. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    many pros are capable of weird and wonderful trick shots, to quote Martin Dew-Hattens:)
    Naturally the reason you wont see it used successfully in a match situation is because it gains no advantage to take the shuttle that late, where the trajectory can only be upwards.
    But as we mentioned before, it's for a casual situation where you dont mind if it gets killed:) I've only once hit a winning shot with that kind of shot, and it was crosscourt to the front of the court.

10. Kooladen

Kooladen Regular Member

would y'all say its all wrist with an attacking/frontcourt grip..? (even tho its in da backcourt for this shot).. and is there a snapping wrist motion involved..? or just a weird follow thru?

11. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    See what you mean. Because you're hitting it underarm, you probably can't get the shuttle very far, usually just over the net onto the opponent's side. I sometime use this when I'm out of position or too late to take the shuttle high enough for a proper backhand clear or drop.

If you hit it underarm but use the wrist to hit the shuttle I'd guess it belongs to a backhand placement shot. If your arm follows through (and probably you lock the wrist), then it's probably a backhand "sweep" (not sure if it's a relevant word). Again a sweep is not efficient so you can only use it to perform a placement shot. The only difference is that power is controlled by your arm sweeping motion rather than your wrist.

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

To be abit more specific, yes there is a starting swing, wrist action at hiting point......... but very little follow thru. Unless you plan to dislocate your elbow in the process :D

The Borneon BaddyNut

#12 jug8man, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

If i'm not mistaken he's talking about the forehand underhand (shuttle coming) from behind (butt spanker) and not with a backhand underhand (shuttle coming) from behind.

cheers

The Borneon BaddyNut

#13 jug8man, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  14. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

In tennis, a shot in which you run around your backhand to hit on your forehand is called an inside-out forehand. Maybe this is the badminton version of an inside out forehand? (not quite as orthodox, though:D )

15. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I've managed to get it to go over in a singlers match once, but for every 10 attempts I might get one over.

End up slicing the snot out of the shuttle.

16. weirdperson

weirdperson Regular Member

a backhand smash????

17. Kooladen

Kooladen Regular Member

noppe.. lol.. a backhand smash would be A.) An attacking shot, not a drop to the net B.) im wayyy to noob to even try it, even if i did itd b weak.. and itd probly seem like a drive more than a smash :p ne way, as for da name.. no one has answered it.. with the exception of the "butt spanker" but pretty sure thats not official, thats more like a nickname. Rightnow.. im wondering if anyone could clarify on technique/tips.. or hav possibly a vid or a generic/typical "buttspanker" shot lol

18. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

not sure if this is the shot described in this thread but it defiinitely reminds me of it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6UwKKtDXQg
    see 2:26 - limpele

goddamn i wish i had that much wrist power! the way limpele did it was absolutely effortless!! (but then I spose that's just his style ;))I just dont know wot the right positioning is and like others, if i try too hard to clear it (instead of the predictable soft drop) i will jst slice it.

here's another (when the shuttle has totally beaten you and is way behind you yet you pull out a smart underarm backcourt clear) but LHI incorporates more arm into this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ZepmJvrzM

19. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

20. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Oh.. that's easy ( for me ). I do it all the time with my friends.. we sometimes do only that shot.. serve like that, netdrop, etc.. it's fun..
    Anyway, back to topic. I'm not sure what it's really called, but my friends and I call it the 'Roger Federer shot' or 'Peter Gade's trick-shot'. PG's famous crosscourt netdrop is done the same way as shown by the video. I practised that alot so.. it's easy for me.. I do many trickshots like that. Lifts, short serves, etc can all be done that way too( not facing backwards ).