Something Missing In my game help!!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tze yang, Feb 8, 2006.

1. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    Hopefully some of u maight b able to help me out, i dnt expect full exact answers since u havent seen me play but mayb some suggestions

I usually play OK and has pretty good racket technique...i know im definitely weak in speed and strength but usually im able to execute my shots pretty well...BUT when it comes to tournaments, i seem to be missing something, the weaker players are able to defeat me just as easily, my shots are not precise, easy to kill, smashing out, and just not able to reach easy shots, apart from speed and strength(which plays a part) i feel somthing else bigger is missing...However again, when i was having a casual hit with someone else i seem to be able to hit pretty well

Any suggestions or help plz?

I'm thinking mayb warm up might be one, but i did stretch quite a bit in my recent tourny, or is it mental?mayb i just wasnt focus...Or could it be nervousness or just lack of game practices coz it kinda seems to happen only when im playing some1 unfamiliar

If so how can i overcome it?

2. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

i think its more to your mental. maybe because that you are nervous and not used to the environment in tournaments.
    tournamnents and normal game practises are different. in normal games, less people are watching your games and sometimes your opponent will not play their best or etc...so you will be very confident without fear during the game.
    but when it comes to tournaments, its tottaly different from normal games. Your opponent will make sure that they are in the top form and trying their best to win the game. They will give no mercy to anyone in the tournament. and sometimes a lot of poeple will be watching and cheering for your game.
    to overcome it, generally you have to be more experience player and have to be used in tournaments. but for me, i will keep in my mind that the MOST IMPORTANT thing during the tournament is to play well. dont think TOO MUCH about winning or losing. i know winning is important, but, most poeple got nerveous in competition because they keep thinking and ask their self like "what if i lose this game?", "what if people laugh at me when i play?".. this is quite a common case for all the athletes.

So the way overcome your fear is:
    - Just relax
    - Treat your competiotion as if you are playing your normal game
    - Keep this in mind- the most important thing in competition is to play well and play your best, do not think too much about winning or losing, dont let your feeling get nervous..

thats all...i hope it helps...:p

3. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    Pretend that you are playing someone, like someone whos ranked 1st, and pretend that you wonts get any point unless you focus on your game... Cuz sometimes being too relax can cause your game to loosen a bit.

4. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

thank you i hope i'll be able to do tht in my nxt tourny
    any other comments on how to warm up mentally?

5. Caloy

Caloy Regular Member

Part of my mental preparation is joining badminton groups with queuing system to experience playing with different persons. In a queuing system. The queue master normally ask your level so he can match you with the same level. My partner and I normally add one level to our current level so that we will be matched to a more superior opponent. Since we don't know our opponent, we also feel the pressure of playing in a tournament. It doesn't matter if we lose the game, what's important is we overcome our fear in players more superior than us. We get to play for at least 4 pairs in a night, three times a week. Drills are also important in your preparation. We also do drills three times a week with the supervision of our trainer. The trainer will also teach you how to warm up and cool off in a game.

:)

6. lex1437

lex1437 Regular Member

hmm , all i can say .. is be patient in your shots.
    dont always think of killing ur opponent instantly after the serve.

try to play out back court balls for maybe 2-3 points. then after u get the feel of the tempo .. then only dig in for opportunities.
    dont fill urself up with too much sweet drinks before game.

most important of all , dont talk too much in ur head ..

7. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Honestly, it is difficult to analyze, it is best to have your coach or someone who is good to observe the situation.

I had the same problem when I was in my junior day. I think partially due to lack of match experience, trying too hard and thinking too much. Another major factor is I burst all my energy from the start from the game and usually ended up tired half way through.

Over training can be another factor if the body did not get enough rest.

The mind need to be focus too, of course.

If you are nervous, you can get confident by giving a shout when you won a point.

8. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

i dnt know of any such system here, but there are clubs and im looking to join one soon, the place i train with is pretty good but most of the time we do footwork and drills and not much matches played so mayb thts one thing i lack

anyway from seeing the comments i think its my mental tht needs to be worked on...anybody know of any way tht i could improve myself mentally other than playing more tournaments?such as i remember reading somewhere this lady golfer's dad forced her to stay a nite at the local cemetery its crazy but anyone know something not so crazy but effective?

9. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    I have had similar problems with you:crying: in the past...can play really well in one tournament and won the whole thing or lost to the weakest opponent in the first round!!:confused: :confused:

My coach advised me to play simple "badminton" :D :D ...not the kind of shots you'd only able to do during practice:eek: . You should strengthen your confidence during the first half of a game by playing simple shots that are easy to anticipate returns. You can then take advantage when your opponent makes mistakes. :D

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    In the first game of the tourney, play a few rallies to establish your timing and settle in. Like others said, play simple shots.

Also, the more relaxed you are, the less energy you use. It's all about energy conservation. Relax yet alert. Constantly train to improve your conditioning so that you may adequately last the whole tournament (which is a series of increasingly difficult games both mentally and physically).