I need help on Smashing...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AlexTan01, May 16, 2006.

1. AlexTan01

AlexTan01 New Member

Hi... I'm new
    can anyone of u pls help me on smashing....
    i can't get to smach nicely...
    the way i smash is juz like hitting the ball normally just move straight only and won't even go down at all...
    my friends said that my path of smashing the ball is wrong... but i can't do anything to fix it...
    i also hav problem with the grip as when i smash i will hurt my hand....
    pls teach me pls....

2. r0adk1ll

r0adk1ll New Member

IT Person
    flick your wrist. you should also hit the bird at a slight angle infront of you. since you're new at it, expect to hit it towards the net most of the time, you just need to work on your angle and wrist movement. if you use your arm to get the power for the smash, youre doing it wrong.

3. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

If your new I suggest you get some personal help. No1 gets good at badminton by reading a book about it. Go get practice and actual training. Watch how others play, and see what is the difference between them and you. Is it coz ur shots are weak? or too slow or your grip? maybe you are not using your body. Being new and asking such a general question in a badminton forum wont increase your lvl of play. Reading is more for players who already understand all the concepts/basics of bmt and reading about it will give them a chance to apply those in real life.

4. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

can u do the overhand drop,if not do that first then move to smashing...cause the way u said that sounds like u havent even master the step before smashing...so u should work on the drop. aand make sure ur arm is straight..

5. B Kwok

B Kwok Regular Member

Student
    for smashing, you want to use your whole body.
    You have to transfer weight from ur back foot to ur front foot.
    you have to rotate your body really fast.
    you have to swing properly.
    you have to use ur wrist.
    and for that extra power use your fingers as well.

All this combined properly will equal quite a good smash.

6. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

you do not want your arm straight for the whole shot.

7. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

how are you gripping your racquet, it is probably your grip if you dont have coaching and just started, also make sure you contact the shuttle slightly in front of you, and make sure you are using wrist pronation with proper gripping, right timing. pronation is what gives angle, look for the grips guide in the article section to check your grips. smashing should not hurt your hand, can you tell us which part of your hand hurts when you smash? also, practice hitting some clear shots, if you can hit clears, you can hit smashes, just position yourself slightly behind the shuttle and hit it DOWN. :D coaching always helps too.

8. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

and a little hop when you smash helps too if you cant do full out jump smash.

9. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

hii, first post - to save new post.. i have been playing badminton for about 3 years now, i have a snow peak sp51 tour.. i play once a week for several hours against people who all used to be better then me :p. i'm 18 and can play most shots, except a backhand clear behind me.. need to work on that, have a slight build but good strengh in my wrist

my question is also about the smash, relating to the grip. after reading the grip guide, i practiced everyone and they all worked - but the forehand overhead grip. the same grip used in a tennis - to get spin on the serve, and this is what happened to me. almost every smash + clear with this grip felt like a misshit or slice. i could not hit it straight down the lines.

at the moment i hit the shuttle(with what i thought was decent technique) , the raquet is not flat - which i believe it should be. to get it flat on, i had to twist my wrist anticlockwise which felt like a strain i shouldnt be making.
    in the grip guide it shows the v going directly down the shaft perpendicular to the head. my original grip was thumb moved to the right, making the v shape smaller, but still suporting behind the raquet with my index finger.

can someone pleeaasse help me out and tel me what im doing wrong here :(

10. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

i apolagize, i wasn't familiar with the 'search' option on the forums, i found another post concerning the same matter and all is explained :D

for those who have this problem, the main points i think is 180 degrees pronantion(rotation of forearm), so using the forehand grip start off with head facing inward, then at moment of impact the head is flat, then after the head rotates to face outwards. also to relax stroke and get speed - dont tense, and practice!! takes a while to get the hang of it
    i reccomend you read the other posts where they explain/describe this in more detail :)

11. RevoWithin

RevoWithin Regular Member

pharmacy undergraduate
    smash....

position yr leg... shutter ahead u...measure distance... jump,bend knee, and reach the shutter.. no hesitation... bang! with using yr wrist, arm, shoulder, body and the gravity that pulls u down...

some physical training... u can do push ups...
    for jumping smash physical training, jump up your leg towards your chest for 10 reps, 3 sets....

12. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

actually that grip is uhhh not correct, the v should actually be kinda on the diagonal part of the bevel, gollum is currently fixing it with the new version of grip guide.

13. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

seriously? :confused: every video i've seen and any one whos taught me the grip has said the v points right down the shaft, perpendicular to the head :O

does this mean i was right? :D:cool:

14. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

on the side bevel?

15. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

side bevel? i don't understand.. sorry

but i originaly had the v on the diagonal part

16. WangCai

WangCai Regular Member

you should relax before smashing and then flick your wrist just the way superdan does.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The correct grip will only work with the correct technique. For forehand overheads, it is essential that you rotate the forearm powerfully as part of a throwing action.

Although this should not be painful in any way, it is a violent movement. Do not attempt to use the wrist itself, but allow it to follow the powerful twisting of the forearm.

During this rotation, the angle of the racket head will change from pointing inwards (before hit), to pointing straight (during hit), and finally to pointing outwards (relaxing after hit).

If, instead of this correct rotation, the racket head is pointing at the shuttle throughout the whole stroke, then your smashes and clears will be very weak.

As Lam mentioned, the forehand grip in the current guide is slightly incorrect, and I am fixing it for the next version. You can read more in this thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33784

#17 Gollum, Jul 8, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  18. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    what makes a decent jump smash? i dont care if it is world class, but it needs to be a proper smash and there should be a jump before it.
    help, anyone?

19. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

thanks gollum, i think i understand the forearm bit.

it may be because of the lack of practice with that grip, but the new grip seems to be flatter then the old one, less pronation = less power?

isn't the new grip being described very similar to the multi purpose/universal grip shown in the grip guide?

20. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

nope, the rotation is AWAY from pan handle.