Tracey Hallam answers my technique question!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Gollum, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Central Sports has been giving a question and answer session with Tracey Hallam, the Commonwealth Games women's singles gold medalist (and queen of pinkness in badminton).

Now, don't all go mobbing the poor woman, but the Q&A is still open ;) There are also some other interesting technique tips among the answers.

I asked a question about reverse slice (she does some particularly sharp ones), and she gave a very good answer:

My question

Against Tina Hoy, Eng v Den, you performed one of the best reverse slice dropshots I have ever seen. How do you create maximum slice yet maintain accuracy? Do you hit the feathers or cork? Do you change your grip? Any difference for a backhand slice?
    (Okay, so this is a little cheeky as I am really cramming several questions into one.)

Her answer

Hi Mike
    The reverse slice is partly about posture as you have to indicate to your opponent that you are either going to hit a straight clear (when you are in the round the head corner) or a cross court drop or a straight clear (when you are on your forehand corner). In each case you need to prepare in an aggressive manner so your opponent thinks you will play a hard shot then you slice the shuttle brushing around the feathers and cork which takes the pace of the shuttle. My coach would explain it like peeling the skin of a potato! I would keep the normal forehand grip. When you have mastered the technique you can choose to hit it harder into the mid court area where you increase the racket head speed or you can play it a little slower to bring your opponent further into the net.
    Let me know how you get on.
    Happy practicing
    Tracey

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    a big part of reverse slice shot is the deception part, changing any parts in preparation of this shot reduces its effectiveness. Decision is made usually at the last moment, u still have to approach the whole thing as though u r gonna straight clear because u might.

#2 cooler, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

deception what its all about, otherwise it would just be a drop

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Interesting that she mentions combining it with the straight clears and cross-court drop from the forehand. My coach always trained us to use the cross-court reverse slice with the straight smash and the straight reverse slice with the cross-court half-smash.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

your coach is not wrong. Deception is deceiving your opponent anyway u can. Every player has their own favorite shot(s) in the rear non-racket arm side of the court. The more diverse shots u have in that corner, the more effective is the slice cross court drop.

6. stumblingfeet

Doesn't the reverse slice drop more quickly than the normal drop as well?

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes.
    reverse slice can be executed at any spot of the court too.
    our point is, it's not about how the bird drop but rather how u execute it with deception.

8. stumblingfeet

Well, my point is that it can be thought of as one of the main offensive shots from the back-court because it drops so quickly and so sharply. A few other considerations here:

- With the 'slower' reverse slice are you trying to create the effect of a drop shot where the bird will fly more quickly than expected?
    - conversely, with the faster reverse slice, it looks like a smash but drops more suddenly? Because even when I reverse slice hard, it doesn't get anywhere as much speed as my hard normal slice.

Another question is how the reverse slice would be used compared to the drop shot. Do you do it for all drops to the right side? Only when in an attacking position?