wrist training for backhand

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jolunewbie, Jul 23, 2006.

1. jolunewbie

jolunewbie Regular Member

student
    i have been searching the forum about wrist training but i cant find what i am looking for. I have a problem with my backhand its too weak. Some thread say wrist training but can you tell me some easy wrist training. I am only 13 yrs old.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

with 13 years old power-training is a bit dodgy...

I'd say technique is a better solution. just practise dropshots..backhandclears are handy/flashy but not that that needed.

work on your around-the-head instead, your backhand will come. but a-t-h is much 'better'

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^^Yes, get your technique down first^^^

I believe there are other threads which talk abt this.
    But like jerby mentioned, your technique or should i say your grip, should be correct first. Don't forget to strengthen your fingers also. There's another thread which discuss abt these stuff, keep searching and you'll find them.

Now, if you want to practice and strengthen your wrist, there are also ways : you can practice with squash racket, tennis racket, even bottle(with long neck)...anything that is "heavier" than your badminton racket, or can provide "resistance" to your hand/wrist/fingers..

But again, your grip should be the first thing you get right..;) :cool:

#3 ctjcad, Jul 23, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2006
  4. rexlu

rexlu Regular Member

If u can't figure out how to improve ur techniques, get a trainor or coach or a friend that has more experience than u and ask them for help. It's kinda better to have 1 on 1 training if u get a coach, but it's more expensive.

From my experience, backhand grip is different from forehand. WIth backhand not only is wrist needed, finger power is needed too. U start with holding the racquet with the thumb pressing the face of the grip with a larger area (straight from the racquet face), and other 4 fingers on the opposite side. Then u push with ur thumb and pull with other fingers. But make sure ur grip is not too tight so u can leave some space for the movement of the fingers. Add this technique to ur backhand u will c the difference.

Good luck.

5. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I use arm energy a lot followed by final wrist snap for the backhand. Depending on where the bird is relative to your position, I think my backhand grip varies slightly with my fingers gripping at different sides of the octagon. Hmm...ya, I think that's what I do. However, mine's not very strong either but enough to get the bird to just cross the net and drop, maybe that's what you should do too ?

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

My recommendation is to perform a large volume of drives on the backhand, perhaps doing a drill where one person hits backhand drives straight down the alley and the other hits a forehand drive back.

Start off with each person at a medium distance away from the net. Focus on hitting the bird with a short, economical but powerful 'snap' stroke. You'll find that as you get better at this, the reactive strength in your hands and forearms will improve such that you would be able to generate a powerful return despite using a swing that has a very small range of motion (maybe 15 degrees rotation of the racquet).

Once you're able to hit these shots consistently at a "fast" pace, try moving both players back a bit and then bring those longer range drive up to the same "fast" speed. Only once you have mastered hitting drives powerfully from the back court using a short stroke should you progress to heavier training implements (i.e. squash racquet). The reason for this is because by trying to develop power, you are really trying to develop a quality known as speed-strength. Strength, the ability to develop force, is dependent on the speed at which it needs to be generated. Likely, at your stage of development you are deficient in both speed and strength for your wrist. So the above drill is used to bring the speed of your racquet up, which will increase your power as well as get your technique into proper place. Only then, should you begin adding some additional mass to your racquet, and only so much that the quality of your technique (particularly the racquet speed) does not decrease.

7. niel.dan

niel.dan Regular Member

I think we don't really need backhand shoot.... try to avoid backhand... use only forehand

backhand use only for emergency shoot... when your feet can was late to get forehand.. and only use for defence.....

some people said person who use backhand is lazy.....

you cannot use backhand for attacking esspecially in doubles..... remember backhand only use for defence...

8. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    The notion that power comes from your wrist isn't quite right. The power is generated more by the snap-twist of your forearm (as well as shoulders, hips etc). Do a search on the words supination and/or pronation and you'll have enough posts to read to keep you busy for a long while!

9. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    To be a complete player, you do need to know and can execute backhand, at least decently. However, backhand is only used as a last resort. As forehand, backhand can also be used for attacking - one example is the backhand drive.

Another thing that you might want to train for backhand, is also to train your tricep, in addition to "wrist". ctjcad wrote something that I remember when I did my initial training: long neck bottle. I had to add sand in it to make it heavy for me.

Cheers. :)

10. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I think you're being a bit too literal minded about that definition. Generally, when one refers to a "wrist shot," it isn't specifically referring to flexion or extension of the wrist, but rather to a fairly complex motion combining various movements (though primarily pronation/supination) in the lower arm (i.e. the area surrounding the wrist).

I think arguing that shots are pronation/supination movements rather than the more general term "wrist shot" or "wrist snap" is just confusing the issue.

11. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Whilst I agree with much of what you say I think we're talking about two different things. I was simply suggesting that the reason why the original poster could not find much help by doing a search for wrist training was because that term wasn't the most helpful. A search on the words 'pronation' and 'supination' would give much better results.

12. ggagnon

ggagnon Regular Member

Engineer
    backhand clear

With my personal experience, I agree with Rexlu... the power in the backhand shot is mostly executed with the fingers. I really have a powerful backhand shot... i can be in the back of the court and easily clear the other end of the court even in awkard positions... in fact my backhand is strong enough to perform smash about 75%-90% as strong as my fronthand smash (my fronthand smash is quite powerful). I don't beleive that you need so much strenght in your wrist to clear the court... the correct technique is by far more important. So even if you are 13 yo, you should still be able to clear the court from the back of your court... or almost. So i don't think training your wrist muscle would make a big difference if you have the correct technique. I don't consider my backhand to be a weakness anymore as i consider it as powerful as my fronthand.

Most people do a backhand shot by fliquing (and breaking) the wrist... although this works, in my experience, it hasn't provided significant power to clear a court. I don't really break my wrist when i do a shot (ok but by a negligible amount but the power doesn't really come from there). First of all, when i do a backhand shot i change slightly my finger position on the racquet compared to that of a fronthand shot. My thumb is securely placed on the grip of the racquet as if i do a "thumbs up". However the other four fingers are placed on the opposite side of the grip (just as Rexlu mentioned). In such a position your thumb and four fingers constitute a lever. The axis of rotation of the racquet is between your thumb and four other fingers. So to achieve a powerful shot, your rotate your hand (clockwise if you are right-handed and counterclockwise if you are left handed) as if you unlock a door with a key.

The consequence of having this particular grip is that you will need to put your body sideways with one feet in front of the other to perform the shot appropriately. If you are left handed your left feet should be in front and if you are right handed your right feet should be in front of the other leg.

Once you have mastered this technique badminton will become much easier and more fun.

13. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    ... i know technique is important and all but for me (IMHO!!!) i found i could do a much better backhand clear when i got a new racquet.
    Old=Cab8200Light New=NS8k

14. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
  15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Er, that doesn't work :p

If you are playing a backhand clear from the back of your court -- and let's face it, that's where people really have difficulty with the clear -- then you need to turn your body and put your racket foot towards the rearcourt corner. The body will not be sideways on, and (for righthanders) the right foot will be behind the left foot (farther away from the net than the left foot).

16. ggagnon

ggagnon Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with Gollum... i you are right handed and you get a shot in the left hand corner of your own court at a high altitude while you are still positioned in the middle of the court then you don't have a choice to turn your body almost backward from the net (unless you have time to run at the complete back of the court... but this wouldn't be necessarily a great idea) and then this technique wouldn't work as well... but you can always adapt your technique to one that works best in that unique situation.

17. ggagnon

ggagnon Regular Member

Engineer
    Some racquets are top heavy... if you use a racquet whose weight is mostly centered near the grip this can help do a backhand shot because it feels lighter when rotating the raquet.

18. starx

starx Regular Member

You beter training finger

19. evolution-Fung

evolution-Fung Regular Member

Clothing
    just practise, i use to be able to hit worth jack crap... but now i can clear from baseline to baseline with a backhand, also timing is VERY important, and i cant stresss anymore how important it is. if you are hitting it from ur side u turn to ur backhand and the bird reaches ur side and u bam hit it this is very timing oriented if you are a bit off the shot wont reach its potential. but i find that if u let the bird go behind u, and u are facing away from the net and u plant ur right foot for right handed people wait till the bird is just infront of u above and u push off and fling ur arm this can create a good clear too, i do this one for oftens for the clears.

20. ggagnon

ggagnon Regular Member

Engineer
    Clear from back corner of court with backhand

Although i haven't really had the chance to practice this yet, i think to clear a shot at high altitude at the far corner of the court with your backhand, you need to do the following:

1. Depending on the exact trajectory of the shuttlecock, its speed, and your current position, you may have time to position yourself fast enough to the back corner of the court that you might not need to use your backhand to make the shot... in this case use the forehand.

2. If you can't do a forehand, but your are already in a good position (such as the back corner of the court) such that the shuttlecock is still in front of you. You can perform the back hand shot that i had explained in an earlier posting of this thread.

3. If you are in a situation where you don't have time to position yourself to perform step #1 or #2, you should still try to quickly position yourself towards the back corner of the court (not necessarily completely at the end of the court but rather close to the end) . Also your back should face the net.

2. So with your back facing the net, you will start your swing with your racquet very low (almost touching the ground) and your knees bent, with your back slightly bent forward. Your wrist will be slightly bent forward and your arm will also be bent slightly. You will start your swing by elevating the first part of your arm (the one between your sholder and elbow) straight up. As the first part of your arm is rising, you must straighthen the second part of your arm relative to the first and you also must straighten your wrist (remember that your wrist and arm was slightly bent initially). As you do this your staigthen your back and straighen your knees. The shot end with a whiping action of your wrist. So if you hit the shuttlecock, you should deliver maximum power to it and should do a nice clear. You will need practice because everything needs to be syncronized properly.

3. The above describes a long motion of the arm, which takes a fair bit of time to execute compared to any other shots, so it is important to position yourself quickly first. The reason for executing such a long swing is because your wrist tend to not be so strong in the position (and its range of useful motion is limited in this position) where your back faces the net (although this is probably the position that will enable you to deliver the strongest clear with the appropriate technique). The speed at which your racquet travels dictates the velocity of the shuttlecock. In the case of a weak wrist, it is hard to accelerate the racquet in a short distance. However, if we combine the additive motion of the knee, back, arm and wrist, we can now achieve a respectable racquet speed. Of course in order for all the motions to add up constructively we need to syncronize the body motion appropriately. In addition, we need to hit the shuttlcock at the correct angle to deliver distance.

4. Since this is a long motion that involves your whole arm and wrist, etc... it is expected that it requires a lot of energy to perform compared to other shots.... but if this is the only way to make an appropriate clear and give you the time to re-position yourself appropriately for the next incoming shot... then great!!

If you have any comments or disagree with me or don't understand the description, i will be glad to discuss.