how to lose some weight to improve you'r game

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Antiiies, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Antiiies

Antiiies Regular Member

student / badminton player
    hi!

i am not fate ore anything, but do any body have experians about losing weight to improve you playing? i think if i lose som weight then will i become a better player? my weight is 67kg.

Thank you!:cool:

2. Ranmira

Ranmira Regular Member

EEE Student
    I guess if you're not fat, it wouldn't be as much an improvement as an overweight person trying to run around the court.

Maybe if we talk about gaining some muscle mass and losing some fat mass?

3. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Chop your left arm off (if your right handed), that will save you about 8-10kg overnight.:rolleyes:

Diet and exercise are the alternatives but 67kgs isn’t heavy unless your only short (less than 164cm you officially have a weight issue).

4. Antiiies

Antiiies Regular Member

i have allot of muscles but i think i have to mutch? i am 174cm
    but the best players are like 185 and have the weight 67.
    i am not so old and i think i nead to get more muscles to become a pro. but how do i lose the weight?

5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

If your profile is to be believed and your 15 years old, then you have some further growing to do, the last thing you need to do is start starving yourself too get thin.

Try boosting your metabolic rate (the rate at which your body burn calories) by following some of the advice given by dieticians (a link follows)

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/burning_calories/boost_metabolism.htm

And do plenty of sustained cardio exercise (heart rate at about 70% of maximum) rather than pumping iron (if you do weights or resistance training alternate between upper and lower body exercise as this works the heart out too).

6. blessing

blessing Regular Member

hie..hie..i suggest u to go 4 gym n eat healthy food..reduce on junk food especially carbonate drinks..eventhough afta ur sports..jux drink pure water.. n..dun keep on sleeping... hehe.. :cool:

7. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    For my personal experience, I have been trying to loose weight for a while now. So what I did was calories reduction. My approach may be a little too harsh but it works. I am 180cm and weight originally 240lbs and in order to maintain my weight I need to have 2700 cal/day. So I decided to try 1400 to start with but it was too harsh to me because I am always hungery so I bumped up my intake to 1700 which gives me a little more to eat and I feel better. So I started the diet for about 2 month now and I have successfully drop my weight down to 215lb. My goal is to loose another 25lb to my target weight of 190lb. I am fairly muscular and big-boned. However, if you are only 15 and still growing then I will not even consider to loose weight at all because weight is not a concern to you. You are not heavy at all in fact I think you should gain some weight and start weight training to gain more muscle.

8. K-MusclePower

K-MusclePower Regular Member

just wear 2 t-shirts. its more hot so u sweat more and lose more weight. and also when it gets soaked, it feels heavy so u get some weight training 2 i guess. overall, something u should try

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Weight loss by dehydration is temporary; you must (and will) regain the lost water (or you die). Many fad diets use this trick.

When exercising, you will lose weight by dehydration, but you should seek to minimise this since dehydration greatly reduces performance. You want to avoid losing more than 1% of your body mass after exercise. A 1% loss for a 70kg man would be equivalent to 700ml water deficit.

#9 Gollum, Sep 14, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  10. K-MusclePower

K-MusclePower Regular Member

yea id agree. but im sure that ppl which play intense badminton drinks a lot of water. when i do the 2 t-shirt thiings, i drink at least 2-3 bottles of water depending on how long i play for

11. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    maybe go sit in saunas for a while lol

12. Casper

Casper Regular Member

Student
    If you are working out a lot and the weight still stays the same. Then I think you should start looking into your daily food. There might be something that you eat everyday or often will gain weight but you don't notice. I've been there, done that. I was working out for almost a year...go to Sauna etc....but the weight stays the same. Then i start look into my food, and quickly dropped more pounds...so, give it a shot! Btw...I started at about 195 lbs....then got stuck at 180 lbs...after looking into my I eat daily, then now I am keep my weight between 169-174 range.....and 170-175 was my target weight anyway....^_^

13. Antiiies

Antiiies Regular Member

thanks for all good answers!

good luck in the furure;D

14. algonquinsmash

algonquinsmash Regular Member

Rock Haul truck operator
    Get this.. I lost like 30 lbs this year.. I was 255, Jan,, now 225 Mar.. just playing 3-4 / wk x 3 hrs each night..

15. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    All I did was play badminton ;)

I'm 175 cm, used to be 104 kgs (230 lbs).

When I started playing badminton 3x a week, at the end of the year, I weighed 86 kg. That's about 40 lbs loss...

Granted.. I was playing lots of singles for the better part of 3 hours :p

Suggestions would be:
    1. Build muscles to support your playing.
    2. Cardio. Jogging and badminton training are perfect for these.
    3. Eat healthily and in normal proportions
    4. Get enough sleep :)

#15 Hagane, Mar 30, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  16. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

To lose weight, you need to train, eat and sleep well.

The first thing you must know is : To lose weight, you must burn more calories than you consume. Pretty simple. Even if you eat fat all day long and this day you burn 3000 cals while eating 2700 you will not pack on fat.

Play badminton AND lift weight. Let's say you lift on monday and you burn 400 calories. When you train your muscles, you "break" them and your body try to heal(not exactly but you get the idea). The two days after your weight training, your body can burn 800 calories to repair those muscles.

Drink a lot of water. It will helps you to be less hungry.

Good luck.

17. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    The best single thing I did to transition more fat to muscle mass was consume the same amount of food I do, but switch it to eating 5 small meals a day rather htan large ones, spaced 3 hours apart. This ensures continual protein intake so your body does not consume your muscles. You also do get optimal glycogen production/storage.

This mixed with a reasonably high activity level plus cardio, core body, and light toning exercises should have fantastic results if applied consistently.