badminton science?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by westwood_13, Dec 14, 2006.

1. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I promised a few days ago that I would do a comprehensive search for objectives comparisons between squash and badminton, to try and bring some scientific data into the debate. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything useful in that regard, however, I think I may have found something even better!

Being a) a competitive player looking for every advantage to improve my game and b) a huge nerd, I've been browsing the academic articles in my university's library on sport science and kinesiology. I've found a lot of incredibly useful and interesting information on badminton, albeit, highly technical. Some is on the health benefits of badminton, some on injury prevention and management, some on technical techniques, some on mental techniques, and even analyses on why the pros are pros.

I'd love to share the articles themselves, but I can't without breaking copyright laws or giving you all my library proxy code. I'm quite willing and would love to summarize the better ones, maybe post them on a quasi-weekly basis, since there's a lot of them.

So if you could let me know if you'd be interested in this sort of thing, that would be fantastic, since I won't bother if no one really wants me to.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Why not summarize your reading and write a book. Make some money while you at it?

Good luck!

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Sounds great to me :)

4. westwood_13

Student
    True, but there's a ton of badminton books out there already... aren't there? Anyway, then I'd be touting myself as a coach or expert (of which I am definitely neither). I'm just a dork who likes to do literature reviews for fun :p

5. bdbc74

bdbc74 Regular Member

Being a) a competitive player looking for every advantage to improve my game and b) a huge nerd, I've been browsing the academic articles in my university's library on sport science and kinesiology. I've found a lot of incredibly useful and interesting information on badminton, albeit, highly technical. Some is on the health benefits of badminton, some on injury prevention and management, some on technical techniques, some on mental techniques, and even analyses on why the pros are pros.

This will be great! I missed that indeed. It would be very useful to have such a thread like "Badminton - science and research" on this forum.

About copyrights: well we can do some sorts of reviews of interesting articles, like other media do. Most of the times in scientifical journals the abstracts are copyrightfree. And its clear that you can refer the conclusions of such an article, argue about and brings some quotes.

6. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    It wouldn't hurt to give us the names of articles, then those of us with article research databases could look them up on our end. I'd be interested in reading your findings.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Now that would definitely be very cool. :cool: :cool: It's something that I have thought about before but not had time, background or resources to do myself.:(

There is no restriction on quoting the source of an article.
    e.g. "Westwood_13 et al. A critical summary of peer reviewed badminton articles appearing in sports medicine Journals. BadmintonCentral.com (2006), Dec 13".:eek: :p

As also mentioned, you can print an abstract no problem.

If you would like to do a bit more, you can describe in your own words what the study authors did.
    e.g. summarise their introduction, summarise their methods, summarise their results, discuss about their conclusions and any weakness of the design of the study. If some of that sounds a bit heavy(!), you can let us on the forum elaborate on the conclusions, wether the results are really valid and if they really help. When I mean summarise, you have to put it in your own words rather than cut and paste. You can put judicious quotes in as well. For instance, if you didn't understand a certain phrase/paragraph, then put in quotes and ask for us for an interpretation. Just don't cut and paste huge chunks of text!

It would be a great benefit to the badminton community and such a project deserves every encouragement.;)

8. westwood_13

Student
    yeah, don't worry, I'm pretty good with peer-reviewing, lots of experience.

I haven't been able to access the full-text of all of the articles, but I've been working off mostly the abstract and summary anyway, with just a general account of experimental technique for validity.

I've also changed a lot of language to make the science more accessible to the general public. I've done about 12 so far, I'll probably start posting them shortly.