Racket face?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ploppers, Dec 30, 2006.

1. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

I've been told recently that having my racket-face out is not good for many shots. It seems like it's not just my wrist that is turned out, it's my entire forearm that is the problem and I can't seem to turn it inwards. When I do trn it inwards, it feels really unnatural and I am unable to loosen my grip.
    As I look at a lot of Pro Videos, I see that many have their rackets turned slightly outwards like Taufik, Gade and Zhao Jian Hua but they are still able to produced quality shots. I am, however, still trying to change myself.

I am wondering what types of shots will be hindered when my racket face is turned slightly outwards?

2. ixiaohoui

ixiaohoui Regular Member

Student
    What I'm guessing is that when you're hitting the bird, your racket doesn't hit the bird flat. You'll end up slicing all of your shots, so your some of your shots will be hindered in terms of speed. Clears won't be as far and smashes won't be as fast, because the extra spin creates more air resistance. Also, slicing helps make a drop shot steeper, but if you can't control it it doesn't help too much, as a "drop shot" actually consists of multiple shots. This is actually the same with a smash. You can slice a smash, which messes with the defender's timing if you can control your slice, but if all your smashes are the same, then it has no advantage. Practice your swing and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps.

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    when you see the pros do it, it's actually, in most cases, after they strike it. they strike it flat like everyone else, then as they move forward, they swing the racket to face out, so what you're seeing is after the contact of the shot. this is fine. but if the face is turned outwards at the point of contact, it is a slice. one way to know if you're hitting it right or slicing, is when under pressure, do your shots fail.

4. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    you can face out just need to strike it flat, its not a big issue just work on it by practicing, but do not deliberately try to face your racket outwards, just play the way you feel easy or good with