Badminton and drug-enhancing 'designer' steroids

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vip_m, Jan 15, 2007.

1. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    I read an article a while back about a baseball player who described the 'designer' steroids available now to athletes. This guy became very complacent and eventually got caught and I think is now banned from the sport. But anyway, he described the drugs he took and their effects and I was surprised at how it could actually be used by badminton players and I'm wondering if some world-class players use these and have they been caught?

Here are the effects the baseball player mentioned (note, they all have side-effects and do long-term damage to your body): one steroid improved his fast-twitch muscle speed to give him explosiveness in pitching (this could be used by a corrupt player to enhance his smashes); another steroid 'oiled' his muscles to keep him flexible and avoid injury caused by over-stretching; another steroid kept his muscles from tiring quickly--he could go on longer with this drug.

I had thought steroids just gave your muscles bulk but it turns out recent advances in the black science has created all these fake-athletic ability.

If I were a world-class player and I won because of cheating (using these drugs), I wouldn't really feel good about it since I didn't use my natural skills but used fake, artifical skills.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the problem is, chances are u WON'T WIN against a steroided competitor.
    'If u win without steroid' is close to a fantasy. Not standing in the medal podium is a painful reality.

Fortunately, badminton is a sport where steroid doesn't give a player a big edge over a clean player.

#2 cooler, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Stronger calf-musles, stomach-muscles, forearm-muscles, gluteal and thighs are essential for a badminton pro player.. I would say steroids would be VERY beneficial for a badminton athlete..

Given similar technical abilities, the stronger, faster more explosive player definitively have an edge..

/Twobeer

4. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    That's true..if you were to use steriods you wouldn't feel as good if you won a tournament because you cheated.

5. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    The only type of doping I've heard about in badminton is blood doping.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    doping

Yeah, seems to have lots of techniques now days. Spoiling the tradition fun. Too commercialize.:D
    Strict punishment should be given. Encouraging wistle blowers.
    rgds

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, i did said steroid (specifically and not drugs) give a small edge, especially for doubles players. More muscle mass put higher demand on oxygen and u weigh more. 2 steps forward, 1.8 steps back.
    If one gonna cheat, badminton cheater is better off with blood doping (as mentioned by westwood) and/or stimulants, and drugs that help resist lactic acid effect and/or improve O2/CO2 exchange.

8. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Yeah but the side effects of your manhood shrinking and you being unwell in your old age kinda put me off the idea of taking steroids.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Really? Any living proof? Of athletes who took drugs "before" and "now" pictures? Are there striking differences in their appearance?

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I would agree with the old-scoring to 15, but with the new 21 rally scoring, I think the VO2 max demands on pros have been lowered significantly..

/Twobeers

11. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    It's a well-known side-effect of steroid use. I recall that Jose Canseco, a pro baseball player, admitted to using the stuff. I believe that he said it was just the testicles (and sac?) that decreased in size & not the rest of the rest of the "package".

Other than for bulking up, steroids are also used for increasing testosterone levels (and possibly some other related hormone levels). This increased hormone levels tend to make the athlete more aggressive and, in that respect, can yield an athletic performance improvement that is not merely due to increased muscle size or strength.

There are some relatively "safer" supplements on the market that can promote an increase muscle size & strenght and/or increase some hormone levels. Androstene (Androstenedionne?) was one that was popular a few years back. Today's supplements are supposedly safer & more effective than "Andro". Can't say for sure if these new designer supplements are completely safe but they are undoubtedly much less of a threat to the body than anabolic steroids.

If you're under 30 (or mid-20s) I would definitely stay away from all of this stuff, even the supposedly safer hormone-building supplements. Long term effects of the supplements are not really known. Hormone levels in younger players are already very high and don't start to dimish til you approach your 30s. You could really upset your hormonal balance if you start messing with this stuff.

Some supplementation with amino acids or creatine may be ok for younger players, but don't take my word on this. Do your research on all of this stuff if you are tempted. Best bet is to stick with good nutrition (food) choices & proper training rather than looking for a questionable advantage with unnatural chemicals.

#11 SystemicAnomaly, Jan 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  12. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Try googling "side effects of steroids", typically they mention for males your testes will shrink, your sperm count will fall, your prostate could swell, you could grow breasts, your blood presure may be raised (lots of problems associated with BP), theres an increased risk of cancer of the liver and your hair may fall out. Now if thats all worth while then bring it on, but me I would rather risk being happy and an average sportsman.

13. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

there were already cases of doping in professionel badminton.

14. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

how come we never hear about it ?.....

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

:eek: u wanted pictures:confused: :eek:

naughty!

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Money corrupts...

You would think differently when you're getting paid millions to play the game. The pressure to perform is totally different for the highly paid professional sportsman comparing to others in less compensated sports. Feeling good has little to do with winning.

#16 cappy75, Jan 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  17. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Creatine is basically superconcentrated protein and nothing else. By using Creatine, most of the protein you are paying for is excreted, anyways. Eating a can of tuna a day will accomplish the same results, at a fraction of the price.

...and that's from a professional nutritionist who gave us a session on doping for the Canada Winter Games.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    They say "Seeing is Believing!" :D

19. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I think the steroid issue is quite a fascinating topic. I don't think it's quite as clear cut as a simple good/bad thing.

For example, people always say that it's bad for your health. There are tons of different drugs, and different cycles for taking drugs, and to say that they're all bad for your health is a bit presumptuous.

Besides, in high level sports power is governed more by the nervous system than the muscular system i.e. if your CNS commands your muscles to fire quickly, the muscles will exhibit fast twitch behaviour, whereas if they're commanded to fire slowly, they will behave in a slow-twitch manner. The consequence here is that power training is still mostly dependent on smart training methods. What role would performance enhancing drugs do? Improve recovery, so you can train what's really important more frequently.

This brings up another issue. What if an older athlete could take something that'll improve joint integrity, and reduce recovery time from injuries. In all likelihood this player would be cleverer and smarter than the younger players, and giving this player a few more years competing at the highest level would be excellent for showcasing high levels of skill.

20. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Hmm that kind of drug might be invented already or in the future.One thing about drugs is that they have side affects. Well depends which drug you are taking.