How to counter this

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LevelZero, Jan 29, 2007.

1. LevelZero

LevelZero Regular Member

student
    how do you counter people who do nothing but pushes to the backcorner. (both sides).

[in singles]

I can't lob when the shuttle is behind me. (forehand or backhand). EVen in the forehand, where the shuttle is to my right and behind me. If it's just behind me, I can somehow manage a lob, but when its to my right. the angle is kinda difficult.

When people pushes to my forehand corner, I only can 1) drop back crosscourt or straight. 2) attempt to drive back.

Just because I can't lob against pushes, people camp infront, waiting for a 1) drop, 2) drive (to counter drive it to the other side) or 3) weak return, or lousy dropshot.

They just wait at the net and push it to the same side of the other side. Is it effective if i don't return to the center after facing such a shot?

My drops are fine. But people manage to push it somehow. Even if it's not a push, it's a "not-so-high" lift. Depending on the visciousity of the push/lift sometimes I can lob it back, and sometimes not. (depending on the angle).

Is there anyway to train this, " to the side " and "behind the shuttle" lob? Or is it simply just alot power in the wrists?

Or is it i just have to get there faster? Im not exactly a fast player, but even fast players do get caught by such sudden pushes or double-action flicks right?

I used to be extremely weak against pushes until I managed to develop a sorta "recovery dropshot" and now im able to do a drop even if the shuttle is way behind me. (very similar to the way lindan takes the shots behind him in someway).

i need to develop a "recovery lob".

help!

2. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

Footwork.The reason you are receving shuttle behind you is mostly due to slower footwork or bad placement of shuttle,which allow opponent to drive easily.

If your drop are good,then it could opponent already expecting a drop.If that the case,varies your placement.(lob/drop smash ..etc)

3. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    they cant push it past you from the back of their court. When they serve just clear it long, then there at the back. At least now, its you get pinned to the back its not cause of our weak lob, but your weak clear. which is a different problem:)

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I agree. Footwork is key to be able to get to the bird in time to return it effectively. Also, you may want to work on your power... if you can hit a hard, high drive from this position, pushing them to the back of the court, it will put them in the defensive.

A cross-court cut drop can work very effectively as well.

5. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

If your drops are fine, start the rally with a good drop to give you time to get to the bird when your opponent will clear it and just try to screw him by hitting an offensive clear(make sure he can't cut the bird half-court)... and practice your footworks.

6. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Your 'recovery dropshot' is your problem. Because you can do this, you are not trying hard enough to get behind the bird. And because you do this, they push to the corner and wait at the net for your drop.

Like mentioned above, work on your footwork. I am in a similar boat. If I can move 10% better, my overall game will improve about 25-30%.

7. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    um, I don't know if this will help, but if they hit it to your right, you can do an ememrgency shot, basically, turn around, you have to reach that spot before the bird does, when you reach the spot, turn around to face the front and in the process lift the bird.

8. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Its more efficient to use footwork to get to the bird rather than turning around and running towards the back to get it.

9. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    yes, but upon the course of woking towards getting your footwork, you have to have some some of a rescue.
    I'm sorry if the earlier comment was misintrepered.

10. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Using that would probably result in a bad habit.

11. arjuntew

arjuntew Regular Member

Software Guy
    The basic problem is your footwork only. If you can't reach the shuttle, you can't hit it properly. And another thing, there is no short-cut of improving it. It requires hours and hours of practice.
    Try this it will help you, When its your serve, serve it clear to the third, dance in the center of the court with leaning towards the back of your court.

But again, you need to practice it to get the perfection.

12. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

You might want to practise your intercepts. Often players get lulled into playing the shot from where their opponent places it, when they should really act quicker and cut off those pushes before they go by!

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

My quick 2 cents..It's in the wrist..

..hmm, LevelZero, if you don't mind me giving my 2 cents..
    Yes, I understand your scenario..And like what others have written, footwork plays an important role; but IMO, as you know in badminton, your wrist is the key..;)
    Every stroke(s) in badminton, may it be smash, drop, slice, clear, drive require the wrist..Also, in situation like you described above where the shuttle has past you, usually your body & footwork will be the main mechanisms for you to retrieve the shuttle. But once you hit the shuttle, at that moment, your body weight/balance should somehow transfer from the back to the front. It's almost like a "brake mechanism".
    And in those kinds of situations, you probably wouldn't be able to use much of your arm, no matter how you managed to angle it, to give a decent clear/lob. It will be then up to your wrist which will provide the main action. How strong of a wrist a person has will determine what kind of return(s) s/he will present. Also, the stronger the wrist is, the harder it will be for an opponent to know what kind of shot you'll be making, as you can control the stroke, just by the snap of your wrist.;)
    So, if you were to ask me what i'll practice/train, i'll say, both the footwork and, most importantly, the wrist..;):cool:

#13 ctjcad, Jan 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  14. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    you could try speeding up your game. maybe you're giving your opponent too much time to manouver and so, he's in good position to push. try hitting the drops faster and mix in half-smashes. slow drops don't work well against good players anymore. so yeah, maybe yo're giving him too much time.

15. LevelZero

LevelZero Regular Member

student
    thanks guys for the input.

I think i would work on my footwork first. Or maybe it's just clearing some bad habits. I do know I have the speed to move there in time, but i just have the habit of doing that "recovery dropshot".

Let me describe this recovery dropshot. Im not exactly having my back face the net. is like your left foot is still in the same position (at base position), while the other foot stretches to the right and you lean towards the right, angle your hand and wrist to hit a straight/cross drop.My question basically is whether it is difficult to train to do a lob in that position.

Ok. Actually i use this mainly against pushes because they don't give me the to actually hop back and contact the bird at the highest point, and at perfect positioning (on top of your head or slightly infront).

I just played today and I realized my bad habit lies in "not willing to make too much steps at the backcourt". Resulting in VERY frequent use of backhand as well, which leads to a loss of points, which leads me losing alot matches which I could win if I solve this problem.

My mistake lies in the laziness in moving around the backcourt. I don't hop, I just stretch my body and do a recovery dropshot or backhand dropshot.

I will try my best to change this habit by making an effort to try everytime.

16. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    haha, i guess that's it then! you're lazy :D you can do a clear in that position but it's not good. if you get a good player, he'll punish you like hell.

17. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

dam i have this problem too, instead of using my footwork and position myself for a better shot, i got for the reach and quick shot without having to move, one reason for this is coz im lazy... but really the games i play are pretty dam long, coz im not very offensive and more defensive so i require stamina, and i find if i move so much i waste my stamina so fast, andd thats probably coz i dont have alot of stamina compared to other players too... but now i realize that playing this way doesnt inprove my game, its kinda just like a shortcut developed so i can play but i should be focusing on improving footwork/stamina instead. SO maybe you should do the same.