Post your favorite Badminton TIPS here !

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wedgewenis, Feb 9, 2007.

1. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Hey everyone, I thought it would be cool to have a thread where people post little tips that they pickedup in badminton that made thier game better

can be anything ...... a change in technique, training, equiptment, attitude ... whatever.

2. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    Footwork!!

read the following line in Bold print if you don't want to bother with details

proper footwork tripled my overall gameplay in a week

Before i read about kwun's article regarding footwork i always tried to win with power smashes and so called controlled shots but i was never able to do it because my footwork couldn't get me into the right place with the right position

I was a short-distance runner before coming to badminton so i used my sprinting technique to get around the court, BAD IDEA. I can get around the court real fast but my body was never settle enough during a sprint to execute a soft drop at the net, never stable enough while running backwards to perform a great backhand, and never able to jump at the right angle for a proper jump smash with body rotation.

After i first joined this forum I bumped into Kwun's article regarding footwork , coach wasn't available to push me back into swing techniques that week so i decided to experiment myself with footwork techniques. I dont know how many pro matches I watched and how many posts i've read here but all i looked for in those videos and posts were info regarding footwork.

Merely 2 days (5 hours gym time) later, my game became significantly easier for me. I no longer has to sprint to get to shots and to position myself to execute a good shot (ex. getting there early enough to make a normal backhand shot into a forehand smash/clear/slice... ex.2 jumping at the right moment for a normal smash to become a jump smash:D). I also find that i can last a lot longer on the court. ALSO, my favourite improvement: being able to dive for smashes like Lin Dan!!!!:D:D:D

I know i'm no where near some of you guys here, but I'd just like to recommend beginners and intermediates to focus their effort on footwork before complaining about not being able to hit a shot in awkward body positions. Also, for people who are getting better, refining your footwork can potentially make your defense flawless:cool:.

SERIOUSLY I thought it was the heaviness of my 2U racket that made my smashes powerless, but man... now I hate light rackets now.. not enough killing spirit:eek:

Thanks to all of you who have decided to permenantly exhaust several minutes of your life to read my experience with badminton. I hope this can benefit some people

IMPORTANT: I have not actually described the details about footwork, I simply suggest you to focus more on footwork if you haven't already done so. Also, make sure you have a coach to correct you. Letting a bad technique develop can be hard to correct years down the road.

3. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

Dun concentrate on power.. learn the proper technique first.. if u wan to be a good player , you nid to think that you are training so hard for something.. like when i do weights i push myself and keep thinking that my smashes will be more powerful

4. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    The hardest place to go is where you've just been.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but it's a good strategy key. If you're recovering from a corner and pushed back there with an attacking shot, it's VERY difficult to get to it and play a quality shot. Of course, the same is true for your opponents...

5. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    after a good beating from some german guy last night, i can say, dont smash everything and dont be afraid to raise the shuttle ( in singles )

and after an even worse defeat to a french guy last week, learn to move well. nothing worse than losing a point because your off balance or stranded at the net and lobbed. :( ( singles again obv )

6. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    This is the best tip anyone can give you:

"Keep the shuttle in play, until you can make a winning shot."

7. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    If you're out of position or have a hard time returning the shuttle to the back of the court....

do a CROSSCOURT drop, which is very very close to the net....

i dont know why but people i play with usually have a hard time with my crosscourt drops...

8. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    Patience! long rallies are better to tired out the opponent and then find the winning shot, dont force it. if u make a mistake practice more, let the opponent make mistakes, thats how you put presssure.

9. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Dont slow drop from back court unless you can get it consistently within inches of the net. Keep up the pace!

10. Roman00

Roman00 Regular Member

NESW! Never Eat Saugy Weeeeners North East South West. haha just kidding.. RELAX and Use The WRIST!

11. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

focus..........

12. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    This advice had really worked out for me ^^, thx for the tip.

13. Mads "U"

Mads "U" Regular Member

Documentation Engineer
    Ask - Don't answer.

The succes of the patient approach, as quoted below, relies on whether or not you are passive or active.

Or maybe until the other player makes a winning shot.

Imagine the game as a conversation. As long as you ask the questions and make the other one search for answers, you will stay in control.
    You can steer the conversation away from subjects you don't want to talk about.

So instead of talking about your lousy backhand, you may talk about his lousy network!

14. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    tips 1:
    if possible, move fwd faster to take the shuttle earlier at the net level or just below. Dont let shuttle drop lower to the floor. the earlier u take the shuttle, lesser time for yr opponent to react.

tips 2:
    to get early to the shuttle, u must have very good footwork.

15. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    get that girl next door out of your head on court

16. xfxdeep

xfxdeep New Member

software Engineer
    Few Strategies

Hello every one,
    In Badminton from strategic prespective,we have
    1.Deceptive strokes
    2.Power strokes
    For power strokes you need is lot experience but for deceptive strokes you need 'presence of mind'.It's like concentrating on opponent and play opposite to what he thinks.This requires a little effort but effective one.

17. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

It's all about the TRICK SHOTS. please forget everything else:p

18. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    trick shots work for a time, but if thats ALL you know, then the shots wouldn't be trick shots anymore ;p. They work much better mixed in with the regular shots.

19. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    LOL, thats a good one. I think my current favorite is "be a tree" XD

20. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

play to your strengths, exploit their weaknesses. simple amd effective :)