Last Minute Training?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Eric Lin, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Eric Lin

Eric Lin Regular Member

High School Student
    Hello,

My name is Eric Lin, I am currently a freshman at my high school. Just a few days ago, my school started announcing that they are going to start having tryouts for the team. I am currently 5'7 and I am a male. I have been playing badminton for about 3 and a 1/2 years but I have stopped playing for about a year and am getting back into the sport.

My question is:

Are there any ways or any tips you can give me to improve my game in approximately a week; a week and a half. I know that I won't improve alot but I was wondering if there was anything I could do? Training? Stroke practice to maybe get me more into form so I would be ready for the tryouts. I've been doing sit-ups, push ups and squats for the past few months already also.

Thank you

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    Best thing you can do at this point is work on your shot consistency. Sine you've been doing some strengthening, you need to work on your specific shots and be able to get the bird where you want it, when you want it. This will allow you to keep the bird in play long enough at the tryouts to wait until your opponent makes the mistakes, hopefully allowing you to win and make the team.

Get a friend and work on every shot, and put a lot of thought into your strategies against other players. Since you're coming from behind the 8-ball so to speak with regards to footwork, speed, cardio, form, and accuracy, your best bet is to stay consistent and outwit the other players.

3. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    hey I play on my highschool team too =). Yeah just play a bunch of games until your back in the groove of things. Worked for me when I didnt play badminton all summer, one day of practice and I was good again ^^.

My badminton team usually never has too many players so I haven't experienced tryouts before >.< so all I the advice I can give you is to play your best. Since you been playing for 3 years, theres almost a guaranteed chance you'll make it. Hell, I never played badminton UNTIL my freshman year(last year) and now im varsity \o/

4. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    u should..not quit in the first place XD. jkjk

Right now are you looking to get in the team or to help compete after you get in? Because just to get in the team would probably require some consistency drills just to get yourself back up to the game. Hopefully you still remember your form unlike me, forget it in a week "-__-. I guess just getting your old game back in any way possible(some games at drop-ins) should be enough to get it back if you have faith in your level of play before.

5. Eric Lin

Eric Lin Regular Member

High School Student
    The first tryout was yesterday, there were 28-32 boys (9 of them were my age) trying out and they were only accepting 2-3 freshman players, the other slots were filled by last years regulars.

And Wing-Omega, I know I shouldn't have quit >.< I was trying out different sports at the time.

Would there be anything else I can do at home? without going to a court? By myself?

6. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Serving practice, never going to win anything if you cant serve consistently well.
    Other than that reflex reactions and shot timing that you can work on.

7. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

you can try short lunges to train agility and speed for changing direction if you have a room in the house enough width of a badminton court it would be better.

our school is in TDCAA and just had our first game.
    every single game won except exhibition game for sub (me :crying: which i lost, but good thing it didn't count)

8. Adone

Adone Regular Member

Student
    Were the others good? Also only accepting freshman? Thats pretty tough. I thought there was a team only with freshmans in it though. Then comes JV, and then varsity.

9. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

in toronto it's usually grade 7-9 then 9(bantam in our league), then 10 (juniors) and 11,12 (seniors)

from what i have seen of other schools in our league except one school i was very disappointed in.

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    so how'd it go?

11. Eric Lin

Eric Lin Regular Member

High School Student
    Some of the others were okay, I mean, they really don't give me much trouble. There are 2-3 players, mostly my friends who were from my elementary school >< that were quite fun to play. The team is an all-age team for some reason. I thought it was Juniors (9-10) and then a senior team (11 - 12) but it seems we got an all-aged team that will consist of 12 players or so. So they are only accepting 2-3 freshmans.

The first tryout was okay. One of the graduates from a few years back when our school won the championships or something came back to help the teacher. He kept doing drop shots and I just have to keep lunging forward but besides that I think I did alright. I'm going next week as well for the tryouts as well maybe I can play better during that time, I'm hoping.