Footwork to Music

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by coachgary, Feb 23, 2007.

1. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

At the Badminton England coaches conference this year one of the speakers will be demonstrating the use of "Footwork to Music". I had been considering this for some time already. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the conference.

Does anyone else use "Footwork to Music"?

Any thoughts?

2. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    well... it sounds like a good idea to develop rythm, but if you use techno your legs might just break cause the beat is too fast

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Usually music is something that is used to entertain the mind of the athlete while he/she performs boring repetitive work. If this work is something to develop basic fitness, doing footwork drills for example, I would recommend against it. Even when doing basic footwork exercises, the athlete should visualize the opponent and the shuttle, and stay focus on what is going on. It doesn't matter at all whether they move in rhythm with the music -> they're not dancing, what they need to do is move in rhythm with the game.

However, music could serve as a distraction (generally I prefer talk radio for this purpose). When an athlete wants to develop automaticity in his/her technical movements, performing those movements while concentrating on something else is one method doing that. Even better is to have the coach call out arithmetic problems to solve while the training goees on.

4. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    hearing about that yeah it doesnt sounf bad i do that now at times and liek stumblingfeet said kinda for me its basically make it 2nd nature so im not thinking about it its just a subcouncious action my footowrk and well sofar i have to say its been working i dont think about it when i do it now but i do it all the time and its well good like we all always want our footwork to be better but yeah i have been doing it more just without thinking about it and i find it has improved my game a bit, when i do train it though i notice i lost focus on the music too and kinda just go off daydreaming while doing the footowrk unless i do something wrong then i notice it right away and see what happened.

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I remmeber reading somewhere on BC that some players do footwork to heavy base techno to keep proper speed.

6. minty31

minty31 Regular Member

the club that i go plays dance music when whe do footwork and shadowing drills. helps with ryhthm and helps with tempo.

minesh

7. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    wont the bass beat be too fast, techno has high BPM,

8. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Increasing your tempo in footwork doesn't make you actually move faster, it might just be harmful to your gameplay. Most of the top players actually have quite slow rythm.

9. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Techno, used in generalization here, can actually consist of many different types of digital music. There is no requirement for it to have a high BPM. For example, think about DDR music, most of the songs in it (non american versions) have techno music with beats from 90 to 130. 90 BPM is slower then a walking pace. Also note that Techno music doesn't actually have to be music, it could just be a base beat in the background run off some switch board with adjustable beat. It would serve the same purpose. I personally prefer to run and do shadowing to progressive trance and maybe some normal trance because of the slow speed up of beat.

10. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

The rhythm of badminton is so up and down tho. Would it really be beneficial? The ability to change pace is so important.

11. yamhill

yamhill Regular Member

Student
    List

everyone could name his favourite footwork music title........

my list is

warm up:
    player¬remady-Step Back

fast:
    Dave McCullen-B*tch

moderate:
    DJ Antoine Live in Dubai-sticks-bang_the_beat-stefano_prada_remix

slow, perfekt rythm:
    mandy vs Booka Shade-body language

mental:
    Gang Starr-Skills

12. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    I'm just a little curious-when you mean foot work music do you mean there are actually music just for foot work? Or do you just say that because you use it for foot work??

13. yamhill

yamhill Regular Member

Student
    i used it...If I only where a Dj I would mic my personal footwork music :D

14. a_n_d_y

a_n_d_y Regular Member

high school
    I just listen to metal solos(no words) when 'm practing footwork and shadowing. it makes me focus more.

15. smash_master

player/coach/student
    Hum a few that i use, i have alot of varity so yeah.

Ernesto vs Bastian - Dark Side of the Moon (my alltime favorite song, i love it)
    Namie Amuro - No (good beat and i like it)
    DJ Dean - Play it hard ( a must have for me)
    DJ Dean - Protect Your Ears (again a must have for me)
    The Prodigy - You'll Be Under My Wheels (good beat)
    Renegade Masterz - Crystal Ship (not a bad one, i liek it)
    etc, many others by artists like;
    DJ Mangoo, DJ Mystik, DJ Catzy,Groove Coverage (gotta have some of theres), Paul Van Dyk, and lots of others.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    May be music, provided it is bad music, like the noise you hear from the fans and rogues in an important badminton game, lends weight to the theory of chaos or messiness. Have you heard about stochastic resonance? It is a phenomenon by which adding disorder to a system makes it work better. This theory turns up in climate change, chemical reactions and electronic circuits, the function of brain cells, the war in Iraq, etc. As a matter of fact, Toyota is funding a research at the lab that has shown how distracting random background noise could help a driver to have less accidents. Such random background noise also improves the workings of students' brains. Imposing order to a disorderly state, you will have tons of trouble. Introduce disorder instead, and it works out for the better.
    If you have ever worked in a desk job, have you noticed that the more disorderly and messy the desk, the better; and the more orderly the desk the more data/ideas will go missing or wanting?
    Some of you may have learned at school physics that anything you do increases the universe's entropy-that is disorder. Put it in another way, messiness is not the sorry wage of weak character or neglect, it is the inseparable companion of construction action!

17. yamhill

yamhill Regular Member

Student
    your list is also very nice!!
    i have also dj-dean sound..... kick-off and others
    the prodigy also very nice

18. smash_master

player/coach/student
    Thanks, yours is a nice list too.

19. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent Regular Member

Student
    maybe you should play Eye of The Tiger:D:D:D

20. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I say footwork to music is GREAT to keep you going and help you have fun while doing something as annoying as footwork... as long as you don't start 'going to the beat', which would be rather problematic.