Analyze my Badminton Technique (Video Coming Soon)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by XKazeCloudX, Apr 9, 2007.

1. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    I would like to record myself doing some rallys,to post a video on youtube or something so somebody can tell me what im doing wrong as well as what I need to improve on. I would say my clears and drops are decent however my smashes is just not fast enough. Is anybody interested or should I not do it :p

But please. Constructive criticism only. I've only played in school for two years freshmen and sophomore and im Varsity 3. Lost most my games :eek:

2. LJ1000F

LJ1000F Regular Member

This type of thing would be a good idea for a whole new forum. Pretty helpful i can imagine

3. XKazeCloudX

Student
    yes please give credit if u guys do ^_^ haha.

and u can see how i look like after.

and now i have to find the darn cables...>_> theyve been missing for awhile :crying:

4. brady6

brady6 Regular Member

5. XKazeCloudX

Student
    oh one thing im very not certain about. is the speed of the rotation of ur torso? do u need that to be as fast as possible. or at least make that turn?

6. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

The upper torso should snap as fast as possible when you've arrived to your highest jumping point and as you are delivering the smash. This movement is governed by the rotation of the upper torso and a contraction of the abdominals similar to a sit up. However, your accuracy and trajectory control may suffer if you do not practice enough.

7. XKazeCloudX

Student
    that sounds very much like a jump smash. however im a sophomore varsity3 player and i really didnt have the courage to actualy practice a shot like the jump smash XD. so i was more asking a regular smash where only one of the leg or sometimes both of the legs are off only by a few inches haha. but is it still the same for that? i find it kind of difficult to twist my uper torso. i thought i was a pretty athletic guy.

also from the videos i saw on youtube the followthrough of that world champion guy doest seem to be all that big from what im doing X_X

also a video will probably be posted on friday - saturday

#7 XKazeCloudX, Apr 11, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

There is something to be said for the efficiency in transferring power from your torso to your shoulders to your hands to the racquet. Often you'll see players with poor efficiency (i.e. poor technique) compensate for that by using more effort. A simple formula to describe this would be:

[power in] x [stroke efficiency] = [power out]

As you might know, there are three types of muscular contractions: concentric, isometric and eccentric.

Concentric muscle contractions cause movement - to make this efficient you need to make sure that as much as possible, the movement causes acceleration in the desired direction. This is usually obvious stuff for coaches to identify - it has to do with joint angles and positions, etc.

Isometric and eccentric contractions are very interesting -> you could group them together as muscular contractions which resist movement. Basically, when you absorb energy, the two modes of energy absorbtion are eccentric contractions, which perform negative work, and isometric contractions, which store the energy elastically in the tendons and muscle. So.. to waste minimal energy, you want to minimize the amount of eccentric muscle contraction so that energy is mostly absorbed elastically via the isometric contraction. When it is stored elastically, you end up getting most of that energy back in the rebound (that's the whole point of elasticity).

One exercise I've been working on with one of my students is one that focuses on the energy transfer from torso rotation into internal shoulder rotation. What you do is hold your arm out like you would to prepare for an overhead shot, and start to rotate your body back and forth. Don't focus on the range of motion, I think I started using only about 30 degrees of torso rotation to begin with.

When you do this motion, your arm should be whipping back and forth by itself. If it isn't, that's an indication that your absorbing a lot of the energy eccentrically, which means a lot of your energy isn't getting to the shuttle.

Making sure that you're transferring as much energy from the torso to the shoulder, gradually increase the speed of the rotation (without increasing range of motion). Note that this is pretty much how much rotation you'll do for a half-smash/stick smash, which emphasizes minimal preparation time by minimizing torso rotation. If you increase the amount of rotation, then the benefit of training will go to developing the power of your full smash. Both qualities are important.

9. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Thnx for that detailed explanation, s-feet. Keep them coming.

10. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    oh video! I can finally see how "normal" players play like, and i say normal because i've only seen pros play.

11. XKazeCloudX

Student
    yes hopefully monday when im not sick anymore sorry for the delay u guys :crying:

12. david07

david07 New Member

Student
    health is always the most important, therefore, no need to say sorry :)

13. markburry_90

markburry_90 Regular Member

Great! a Video!

Can't wait to see it!:):)