How to play against superior opponent?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Hierkommtnils, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Hierkommtnils

Hierkommtnils Regular Member

Fin. Controller
    Tomorrow I play in a cup match a single against a superior opponent. Through the rules of the competition I start every set with a 8:0 leading.

What would be the best tactic for this game (single)?

2. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

They're likely to have a good smash and be better at moving around the court than you, so if your drives are good i'd recommend trying to drive at the body, this is mainly about reflexes and makes court coverage less significant. Also if you have a good net touch, try to play net shots that pass close to the net, ie. so that the shuttle peaks before it reaches the net and is already dropping by the time it passes the net. Try not to do clears from the back of the court unless you're really desperate.

If the drive or net tactics doesn't work, then just play your natural game, don't make errors and hope your opponent makes errors =p.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If opponent is way much better than you, then don't focus on the result too much. Play with your mind set straight, to learn something from the valueable experience. Use this as a test, to see what's your weakness and which categories you need to further improve.

Don't worry about the score, enjoy it, and make it useful. ;)

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

If you're playing against a superior opponent, then you're gonna lose.

Seriously, if you really believe your opponent is superior to you, then you might as well give up, because by definition the superior player ALWAYS wins.

Now, your opponent might have certain skills that are superior to yours.
    But, you might be able to keep him/her from taking advantage of his/her strengths, and also maximize the effectiveness of you using your own strengths. If you manage to do this right, you'll show yourself to be the superior player, and you'll win. You see, badminton is pretty simple after all

5. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

How to beat a superior opponent? Well, if it were easy, they wouldn't really be superior afterall.

However, all is not lost. The important questions are how and how much? If you know how they are better than you, then that's a good start. Do what you can to nullify their advantage. For example, if he's a big smasher, play around the net and push him around with drives and flat clears. If he's a grinder, pick up the pace of the game.

The other issue is how much better are they? If they're quite a bit better, well then, just do your best. If the gap is not too much, then the mental aspect of the game becomes critical. If this is the case, it's vital to fight as hard as you can. From experience, I have beaten better players simply through sheer tenacity and determination. It can be quite unsettling having shots come back time and time again which should have been winners. This may lead to the opponent trying harder and harder to play the perfect shot resulting in more errors and greater frustration. Other things that one might want to think about is how well the opponent copes with aggression. By this, I don't mean smashing, but more along the lines of eye-balling your opponent and celebrating exuberantly whenever you win a rally. This will upset some opponents while others will get fired up and play even better!

Playing better opponents is where you learn that the mental aspects of the game are just as important as the physical aspects.

Wayne Young

6. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

unless they're full on dedicated badminton players with crazy commitments to schedules of training, i'd like to say that its more than likely they'll still suffer from unforced errors, loss of concentration and other matters.

i'm not saying their game will be plagued by such, i'm just saying that the mistakes will occur, regardless of how often or how little.

and the key to getting points on superior players is to give them the opportunity to make those mistakes.

as lazybuddy and stumblingfeet has already gone over, its just keeping it simple.

7. Hierkommtnils

Fin. Controller
    I think I will start the game with 110% activity. If I'm able to keep my advance in the start-up period, the pressure on my opponent will rise and hopefully the rate of mistakes, too.

8. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Are we talking about the new 21 points rally scoring or the old 15points here?

Have you played him before?
    Do you know his strength and weakness?
    If the new scoring system then you stands a chance.
    I have seen many upsets in this new scoring when they give 8 points advantage to the other person.

Honestly speaking, it is difficult for anyone to give comments on how to play against this player.

Main reason is that, we do not exactly know his and your standard of playing. Words here can justify for anyone.

#8 hyun007, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  9. Hierkommtnils

Fin. Controller
    I won my single with 21:16 and 21:12.

I think the main reason was, that my opponent had mental problems with his 0:8 disadvantage.
    He made many mistakes, mainly hitting the shuttle left or right in the outside.

10. Hot-screensaver

Hot-screensaver Regular Member

Your opponent wasn't so superior after all, or you have maintained good pressure on him :)

11. dejecter

dejecter Regular Member

Student
    You know what this means right? You are now superior!!!

12. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    so... how does one beat one's self? haha :p

13. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Congratulation.
    As What I said before, saw too many upsets in the 21 scoring system when players get to start with some points advantage.
    One cannot afford to make silly unforce errors like the 15 points.

Well done once again.

14. truasianfx

truasianfx Regular Member

none
    Just give up :/

15. thewils

thewils Regular Member

Programmer
    In what way is the person better than you?

If he's fitter than you, then you should try to play winners and keep the rally short. If he's got more shots, but you're the fitter of the two, make him run corner to corner and try to tire him out for the second and third sets by making the rallies longer. If he's fitter than you _and_ has more shots, then learn from him.

16. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Good job! 0:8 handicap is not a lot in the new 21point system.

I have played with some far far far superior players, all I could do was to use my physical strength to counteract their play. But then you can do it in the first set, everything just went downhill afterwards. But that was the 15point old system, I didn't even have my chance to serve in the second set.

But I guess you have deviced a good tactic as well, make the superior making unforced errors or mistakes. To be on the safe side, play more high clear, don't let him/her have the chance to smash hard. Be patient, just don't smash right away, as the other side is better, they might as well return better.

17. newboy

newboy Regular Member

sellsmen
    imagine u r

hi:D . just saying if i was a good badminton player and play with the one below me.the first thing is i will make you tired,ran around the court, see where is your weekness from there i can win the 80% of the game :rolleyes: . i make sure i keep my energy for the next game:mad: .first game not to much smash,then the second one try to attack more:eek: . thats my opinion :D :D :D