correct smashing technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by allan's shuttle, Jul 19, 2007.

1. allan's shuttle

allan's shuttle Regular Member

how to improve the smashing skills,correct position of smashing and to place them and improving its power

2. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

if u want more power in ur smash it best that u stand and smash, for control and placement jump smash would be the best choice. About the correct smashing technique and form, i dont know :(. I use 3 different kind of form and technique for smashing in various situations (I think none of them are correct -.- since it self taught from watching other people).

3. vin88

vin88 Regular Member

Engineer
    Hello allan and phuong

Don't quote me but I have been taught:

- that the birdie should be roughly 5-10cm in front and above of you when you contact the birdie
    - the racket head should contact the birdie pretty much flat on impact AND follow through with wrist flick - most important or they will sail out of court, not coming downwards
    - the use of your elbow is quite important as well as that is where the power for the smash is generated
    - check out www.ibbs.tv website, very good videos, use proper emails to register, not free webmails i.e hotmail, yahoo etc. This website should clarify all your queries in their videos.

Check out other threads - http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33292
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33633

IMHO, i think that jump smashing should be attempted only after you have an excellent grasps of the technique as the timing of the shot will take some more practice. Agreed that jump smashing will give you better placement and even more power as it is easier to just concentrate on hitting the birdie downwards

Cheers
    Vin88

kwun likes this.
  4. Cloggerz

Cloggerz Regular Member

Student, A levels
    i kno its mostly all about the technique but do weights help too?

5. softwares88

softwares88 New Member

Guess i have to practice alot of jump smash..hard to hit it on the sweet spot.:(

6. allan's shuttle

thanks vin88 for ur advice

7. allan's shuttle

while smashing what r the parts involved in it and advice about the exercises that r to be followed to improve their strength.....

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Body rotation->upper arm swing->forearm pronation->wrist snap->tighten your grip= power.

9. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Its all in the timing. Think of the sequence of mechanical golf swing for instance. It all starts with a relaxed take back, on the swing through the larger muscle groups are in action first, hips drive towards target line, trunk drives through and rotates, shoulders arms, squeeze grip on contact follow through to a relaxed position.
    I'm no golfing expert but there are similarities, larger muscles groups first in sequence to the smaller ones in the hand/fingers being last. A steady head position, be balanced throughout, even though you may be in the air, in badminton that is, not golf!! Hitting a golf ball is hard enough even though its stationary!!

You need to concentrate the power into the shot, highest speed and power to be accelerating through the contact. Again think of a whip, it tapers from thick at the handle end to thin at the other. Its the thick end that begins the motion, its travels less distance that the thin end!! However the thin end must travel further in the same time therefore must go faster!!

wot technique is it that makes the whip crack? its the rebound when the thick end is pulled back the other way.

In badminton this is done with the fingers when squeezing the grip at impact with the shuttle. It creates a fast rebound tapping action

10. sate_sr

sate_sr Regular Member

hi, i have a problem with my smashing, in that it is inconsistent. at times the flight of the shuttle is downwards, but many times it juz goes far and long instead of down... would appreciate any tips to improve,
    thanks =)

11. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

The difference between a smash that goes "deep" (i.e. slants downwards) and one that's too "shallow" (i.e. goes long) is the placement of the shuttle at the point of contact with the racket. Some timing plays a factor as well.

The deep smashes are almost always hit with the shuttle practically in front of you, such that you can reach them by holding out your arm at a 45-degree angle. This also means you have to wait until the shuttle is at that ideal location before you commit to the stroke. Hit it too early and it'll tend to go straight instead of downward.

If you hit the shuttle when it's any higher over your head, it'll tend to go straight on as well...unless you find some way of exaggerating your wrist snapping action in such a manner that you're hitting it like a deep smash. Doing this is not very confidence-inspiring however.

12. sate_sr

sate_sr Regular Member

thanks for the pointers Type 100, really appreciate it =) will keep in that mind when i play=)

13. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

Note that you don't want the shuttle going in too deep either. When that happens, you practically score an own-goal because your smash never made it over the net...and it happens to the best of us.

Practice, practice, practice :)

14. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

try to vary ur smash too.. a flat body shot smash or deep kill, or slice smash... or whatever u play... you have to vary your shot to use them efficiently...

in terms of jumping smash... practice your abs too... do lots of squads.. this will helps to strengthen your lower body hence ur in more control of timing and attacking stamina.

15. Athelete1234

Student
    I find that the lower the contact point, I get more power, but less angle. I usually settle for better angle though.

16. vin88

vin88 Regular Member

Engineer
    Like Kinoko says " vary your smash"

- this increase your breath of skills and also fine tune your shots as well.
    Best to get a hitting buddy to send shuttles up for you, also good for your buddy to practice defense as well. Then swap. Win - Win situation.
    There is no one correct way to smash as there are many variation to the smash, i.e. slice smash, flat smash

Absolutely agree with doing abs, as this will increase your "core strength" and improve all aspect of your game as you will be "balanced" for all your shots - i.e. in correct posture to take the shots

I think for smash, it also depends on your racquet too. I use a "flexible" nanospeed 9000 s, and it requires less wrist snap than when I use a "Stiff" Armortec 800 Def racquet.

Flat = more power, less angle
    Slice = more angle, less power

Hope this helps

17. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

Yeah, variety's important.

A smash that goes diagonally/cross-court is a good weapon to have, as it's quite hard to defend against.

18. Athelete1234

Student
    But most of the time, a powerful, straight smash down the sides in singles, or a hard smash down the center for doubles is the best IMO.

19. sate_sr

sate_sr Regular Member

thanks for the tips guys, really made me open up my mind=) felt glad i asked, previously wad i did was juz watched others execute their shots & tried to emulate em. but when i tried, it juz went haywire at times, LOL! once again, thanks athlete1234, type100, vin88 & kinoko, u've all been a great help=)

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, when trying out new stuff (emulating good players is a good thing!) you woudl expect thigns don't go smoothly.

I'd say the most important is a good enviroment for experimenting with new techniques and a coach to explain/help you implement everything.

a pointer on technique: don't overly focus on a "wrist snap", bending your wrist too much, trying to snap it veyr pronouncedly will most likely result in loss a power (a soggy stroke).
    A nice thing to try out is holding your wrist neutral and let your swing mechanics make sure it 'whips'...it's just a thought...

And even after all that, some people just aren't born hard-hitters (though you can still improve immensely!) I count myself one of them. Though scorign with a smash is not just power. Angle, speed and placement are just as important, if not more, that power. some examples:

- in singles, many people -in defence- think "ohh, it's a smash" and step immediatly to the line to receive it. A smash semi to the center (where their body's are when they lunge) is a sure-fire way of scoring. So don't álways hit to the lines.

-in doubles, after a few hard smash which end up rather high (chestheight) many people stand more upright -with their racket held high- to receive your bash (if it's that flat I wouldn't call it a smash ;)) a steeper, slower smash is a nice variation and a good way to keep the initiative

- many singlesplayers stand rather low when they defend. Because smashes and dropshots are all valid options for the attacker. But because of that focus on corners a smash to their bodys (doesn't even have to be that fast) can 'just fly under their radar' and be very difficult to return properly (let alone in a fashion that aids their goals: getting the initiative back).

Now cross/straight smashes have already been covered very nicely, so I'll just leave it at that

edit/added:
    now, this might be immense nitpicking and I don't mean to offend you, but if I may, I'd like to add some:

-a good push of with your right leg helps a lot in power
    - I'd say bodyrotation is split up between the hips (and above mentioned step) twisting, and your abs/back bringing your shoulders down

#20 jerby, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007