The right corner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thehundredthone, Jul 20, 2007.

1. thehundredthone

thehundredthone Regular Member

Hey! Been lurking a while, but now I have a question of my own :) I'm right handed. I find that I am at a disadvantage when I have to return from the right hand corner, towards the back boundary. It's not a problem if I'm returning a clear, but when I have to play a shot that's not as high, I tend to play it with the racquet behind my head. I'm not sure how to illustrate my point, but what I'm saying is that I don't get behind the shuttle, hence I tend to slice it for an easy kill. How should I return from there in the event that I'm late? (if I can't get behind the bird in time) Thanks

2. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

If you are gonna slice it, may as well go all the way and dropshot. :p

Or just run faster? Or get better at wrist clearing?

3. thehundredthone

Well I think the problem is that I'm too close to the shuttle, so I don't have much leverage. I either slice or drop but my opponent knows that that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I guess I should work on my footwork towards the corner. I think I move to much into the corner which forces me to play the shot closer to my body. Watching some of the videos, people tend to stay closer to the mid-line while taking these shots eh?

Thanks for the suggestion , I'll definitely try and incorporate wrist clears in such situations.

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    most people play shots off balance towards their forehand corner. one of the main reasons is that we know we can play shots past us, so we are more confident, which in turn, means we're more lazy and move slower to that corner. for most, our backhands aren't magic, so we force ourselves to move faster, because we don't trust our backhand.

but from the forehand corner low, you can either drop or clear. drops take some time to master, and should only be used if you know you can get to the next shot in time, i.e, you are not totally off balance, or late, and you can recover quickly. if you are in trouble, just bash it to the back court. do a clear, and be ready to put more effort that usual in to clear. this is because you are only using your wrist, with little body rotation to aid the clear. so really hammer it.

5. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

if you're going to play a shot from the backhand corner, it's best to get there early and try for round-the-head shots. but if you do end up playing a backhand shot, it's safer to go for drop shots than clears. i've noticed that most of the time, backhand clears end up mid court just asking to be killed.

6. thehundredthone

Shifty I think that's where my problem lies as well, I guess I need to consciously move for that shot. jump17, my back corner is much better handled than forehand :p I take round-the head shots if I'm already there, or clear with backhand. I can never get a backhand drop right, either it doesn't reach, or it's easy to kill. My backhand clear goes a long way to the baseline :)

7. thehundredthone

Shifty I think that's where my problem lies as well, I guess I need to consciously move for that shot.

jump17, my back corner is much better handled than forehand :p I take round-the head shots if I'm already there, or clear with backhand. I can never get a backhand drop right, either it doesn't reach, or it's easy to kill. My backhand clear goes a long way to the baseline :)

8. allan's shuttle

allan's shuttle Regular Member

i agree with shifty ,,u have to go a further step to play the shot perfectly,even i had that problem for a while but i had overcomed it:D

9. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

The rear forehand corner is a problem for many. You say that its okay if you have time to hit from a higher position. This is because you are rotating your body as normal through the shot and the contact point is somewhere near level or between your body and the net.

With shots that have got behind you somewhat,dont try to rotate back through like normal forehand clears/smashes etc. Instead you need to isolate your racquet arm and hit around your body. After hitting the shot your shoulders will still be facing 45degrees to the right (ie outside the court). Dont rotate your body through the shot.
    Grip..... for shots that are behind you will need to adjust your grip towards panhandle, extreme digging out from the corner will see the thumb placed on the back bevel, similar to older style backhand grip!!

To practice moving to fh r/c start with the intercept move, imagine you are intercepting a poor low clear/crap drive to the corner but its gotten behind you.

Stand at a base position biased slightly to f/h side, feet shoulder width apart side by side for now will do.
    Turn your body to angle towards f/h r/c, placing racquet foot pointing toes somewhere towards corner,

immediately upon placing this right foot perform two footed jump towrds corner and land two footed, making sure that the racquet foot points in the direction of travel. (saves breaking your ankle/ligaments and knee!!)
    During the jump you will now be in a balanced position, racquet arm isolated in performing the hit, ie no body rotation!!

Upon landing jump immediately back towards a base position to cover the likely returns. (you may like to take a small rebound jump towards base before chasseing back to base. This will depend on your power in legs or severity of shuttles initial position.

The above is just one of the many methods used. Most of them do not see the body rotating through the hit however unless you use a pendulum jump.

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    yes, you should move faster, but, inevitably, you will always be forced to take it late on a few occasions. while you can try to move faster, just as most people will try and play round the head in their backhand corner, there will be times when you HAVE to take it late, or play a backhand. so, you should not try and shy away from practising those low forehand clears, just as you still try and practise backhands.

a good way to do this is just get a friend to feed you. i find it very hard to hit clears if it's close to my body. so keep the shuttle a little bit away. experiment with if you need to change your grip slightly to get a more even contact at such an awkward position. maybe download a few tapes of pros, and watch how they play those shots(yes, pros are still lazy).

however, if you want to increase your speed in taking forehand shots, you can change your stance. this is if your opponent is always playing your forehand. most people stand with right leg slightly in front of left right? so you can move better to the backhand corner? well, change it so your left leg is slightly in front of your right, that way, you're ready to leap to your forehand without delay.

again, don't be stuck on this. use it only if you are consistently being caught out by punch clears etc to your forehand. if they start hitting your backhand, switch back.

11. thehundredthone

While playing yesterday I noticed I tend to turn towards the corner slightly, which puts me at a disadvantage, as you can imagine. I did play a few shots without turning and could clear to my opponents backhand baseline.

I guess I'll watch a few matches to see how they take the forehand right corner when they're late.

Thanks coachgary and shifty, I'm going to try what you've suggested and see if I can improve in that area. :)

12. huynd

huynd Regular Member

You may want to learn to clear with the shuttle slightly behind you. Turn the body sideway and use a grip which is very similar to backhand grip - thumb is on the large side of the bevel. With practice you'll manage to send it back high and deep. This shot is infact used very often in single since it saves you energy (you don't have to get behind the shuttle)

13. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i think the Xiong Guo Bao instructional video has some really helpful tips about late receiving in forhand corner in his vid.....does anyone have the link?? it teaches straight drop/cross drop/ clear/drive from a late receive on the forehand corner.

14. juris

juris Regular Member

night stalker
    Maybe you have that subconscious effect not to put any of your feet outside the end line when you are hitting the shuttle. Most beginners stop moving just near the end line and the result is that even if they get there ahead of the shuttle, they still tend to hit it above their heads instead of hitting it in front. In short, do not be be conscious of stepping out of bounds if only to be able to hit the shuttle in front. :):):)

15. thehundredthone

Good point juris.

16. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    ive never head trouble with the forhand corner until recently. i think, because it was always ok, i just ignored it but now, clears just sail past me into that corner and im often under pressure there.
    the only way ive found to fix it is to just force myself to wake up and be alert and ready for it. It works great, but its just hard to force yourself to be thinking about that corner when you have 3 others. so once it slips your mind, its back to the same problem, and you find yourself leaning back into the corner to play shots and cursing under your breath at yourself. :(

17. thehundredthone

Sad but true mojopin :(

18. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    These shots can be hard but i have perfected mine. It comes al from the wrist i find. You just cant involve the body because its behind you and theres no time. I just put every ounce of power into twisting the forearm and snapping the wrist and the birdie does to the back of the court.

This is what i do if the birdie gets behind me on my forehand side at about waist height.

I used to always hit these half court and ofcourse, got destroyed and i worked at it. I feel its the strong uncocking of the wrist that gives it that extra power to get it to the back of the court. hope this helps :D

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's not. Wrist extension/flexion (cocking/uncocking) is a weak movement. The power is coming from your arm rotation.

That's not to say that you should avoid wrist extension/flexion completely. A snappy wrist movement helps transfer power from your arm into the shuttle. Just don't try to force the power using the wrist movement alone.

20. santeclaws

santeclaws Regular Member

Student
    Trick shot is last resort. Its what I do, it sometimes confuses the opponent an d at times, it wins me the rally.