How to defend and counter attack a stronger smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by smashin-jam, Jul 24, 2007.

1. smashin-jam

smashin-jam Regular Member

Production Manager
    Hi peeps,

Can I have your tips on how to defend and counter attack an opponent who kicks ass when he does a smash? I miss the shuttle. How would I improve my defense?

Anyone pls?:confused:

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

1)you could just keep serving to him and tell him to smash and just continue practicing to try to return his smash you will naturally get better with time... 2)or if you are missing the bird because you are reacting too slow you could try practicing on the wall to improve reaction time (with badminton strokes of course)
    3)try doing higher and further clears to force him to smash from the back and you will definitely have an easier time returning his smash than had he smashed from midcourt. (remember the further the bird has to travel the more time it has to slow down and the more time you will have to return it)

3. smashin-jam

Production Manager
    Hi! IONOO,

I really appreciate your prompt reply. I think you have a very good advise. I'll try practicing tonight. I would love to hear more tips from you esp. for a good backhand clear and backhand cross-court.

Cheers!

4. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

when attempting to do a backhand clear do not tense up as it will result in less power, you want a smooth motion. i guess one way to visualize it is to face away from the net and pretend you are throwing your racket backwards except not literally doing it. sorry its a little hard to explain lol or you know how a swordsman pulls out their sword from their sheath (i think thats what it is called) imagine you are doing the same except facing away from the badminton net. pull out your racket (sword) from the lower part of your body and flick it straight up into the air as the birdie is flying straight to your backhand side. your racket should hit the bird squarely or flat similar to a forehand clear (as it is not possible to do a good clear with the racket hitting the bird at an angle or at least i haven't figured it out yet). like all things practicing will result in improvement keep at it. hope my examples helped (backhand cross-court can't really say much as i haven't practiced that move enough to help you)

5. smashin-jam

Production Manager
    Again, I thank you for reply. You seem to have a good experience playing badminton right? How would you classify your type of game, is already like a pro? For a scale of "A to D" and A as the highest, what level is your game right now? Me I think, it's level C and needs to improve a lot...

I'll playing a tournament in mens doubles this coming saturday, but we still have some difficulty with my partner in our rotation/movement in the court. What do you think would be our best positon; is it front/back, side to side or a combination of both? I would say that I'm much better than him. Any ideas please?

Thank you..

6. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

In my experience, defending against a smash usually means adopting a backhand grip and keeping your racket low. Most smashes are just that---aimed low.

It's important you keep loose and relaxed, just like what you should be doing in any backhand shot, because that's where you get the power to return the shuttle. If you tense up, your return will just reach past the net...if it gets there at all.

ionoo's advice is correct, send the shuttle back farther and farther into the opponent's court. Not only does it take more legwork for your opponent to reach it, it also makes for a more manageable return in case your opponent smashes it back to you. The longer the shuttle travels, the slower it will get.

Unfortunately it's humanly impossible to return every smash...there will be those that will simply get past. That's why preventing a smash is a lot better than defending against it.

7. smashin-jam

Production Manager
    type 100,

Thanks ha. From where are you in manila?

You're right, i may be too tensed at times when receiving a smash. I'll keep that in mind.:)

8. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

haha im flattered but i would say im still at d lvl i only started badminton when i joined this website dec 2006 =P and regarding mens doubles i cannot really help you in that department as i'm more of a singles so i dont want to steer you in the wrong direction.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I don't get it either.

Attached Files:

#9 wilfredlgf, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  10. blundey

blundey Regular Member

Doubles should be team work. If your side is serving both of you stand in the middle one up front and one at back. Offensive mode should be on, and both of you should be attacking with drop shots, smashes etc as soon as the return is served, if at any point you need to go side by side or cover the court this can be managed easily from the front back position.

If your being served too, its best to go side by side, if you get the advantage somehow during that set, then you can switch to front rear depending on the shots played. Basically cover whats not being covered! IF your partner goes in and does a gentle tap over the net, you run to back mid court for the return and he stays front in case they tap it over the net and so fourth. As long as your covering each other your there as 96.753% of the game is covering the court and foot work. If you can get to the shuttle then more often than not your going to be able to send it back over the net.

11. kuan84

kuan84 Regular Member

Postgrad at AU
  12. SaintDragon

SaintDragon Regular Member

Student

Nice Rurouni Kenshin picture :D

13. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
  14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, side-by-side is not a good position for receiving serve.

When you receive serve, you should also be in a front-back formation, albeit with the back player not intruding on his partner's service court. The receiver should stand towards the front, as far forwards as possible without getting destroyed by flick serves. The idea is to put maximum pressure on the low serve, and smash any flick serves (or occasionally use a fast drop). Drive serves must also be cut out immediately, before they pass him.

So at the start of the rally, both sides adopt an attacking formation, because they intend to fight for the first attack. Typically the return of serve, and the third shot, will decide who gets the first attack.

#14 Gollum, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
    LazyBuddy likes this.
  15. zuihoujueding

zuihoujueding Regular Member

what i will do when preparing to receive a smash during doubles is stay low with legs apart, racket lying low infront of you. relax and prepare for incoming!!
    i must say i prefer to receive smashes than smashing itself. There alot less time to react which makes this game more interesting.

16. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    you should maybe question the reason as to why he is able to smash in the first place. Fair enough some boys will smash from the back of the court but most will drop or clear. Just improve your own shots so that your clears are very good and your drops are tight to the net and as my friends would say no half court shots!!!

17. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    split step as his rackets passes over his head. you'll land as he hits the shuttle. If you time it right, it makes it way easier to move/return. time it wrong and its prob going to be a bit harder.

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Only because it's harder to do a smash than to receive it.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    but it's more generous to give (smash) than to receive;)

20. thatoneaznguy

thatoneaznguy Regular Member

student
    He has to hit it with proper rotation at that position

Attached Files: