Training that improves smash speed.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Shadowdrgn20, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Shadowdrgn20

Shadowdrgn20 Regular Member

I think a lot of people have posted this before, but what training are there other than benching and push ups that help improve your smash speed? If I want a drastic improvement in my smash speed, what do I need to do (assuming I have the correct technique)?

2. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Play with a squash or tennis racket.
    Or you can practice like me: with a tennis racket with cover on :p

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    play with a tennis racket.

4. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

You swing around with the tennis racket or you actually play badminton with tennis racket ?.

5. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    You should swing it around during warmup, play with a squash racquet if at all. A tennis racquet during an actual game would injure you.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    A tennis racquet?! It's too big and heavy to lug around even if you're just doing overhead swing. That doesn't really train your fast twitching muscles though. For power, it's better to concentrate on timing and position. Get your friend to feed you by lobbing a few midcourt lifts to ya. Or you could occupy half the court and do a drill where both of you feed alternatively one another. Start off with a lift, and then smash at your partner who will block it to the net, you rush to net to lift(feed) him to smash. Once he smashed, you block it to the net and he'll lift to your smash. Make sure not to lift too far to the baseline as it's pointless to smash from there anyway. This will train your timing as well as defense.

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    And make sure you have adequate medical cover.

8. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    apart from those mentioned
    i think it is important to train the legs. especially for jump smash

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

When I have time, I'm gonna post up a guide to improving power on this thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47006

To get you thinking, consider how the problem from the perspective of what might be what's holding you back from hitting with more power. For instance, consider an example of someone driving a car down the street. If the car is running fine, then you'll progress. However, if you're out of gas, pressing the gas pedal harder isn't going to help much - you need to fill up to get more progress. Or, driving with the brakes partially engaged doesn't work too well either, so that's something you don't want to do.

10. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Hehe! Of course, practice with a tennis racket for warming up and swinging around, not for hitting shuttles :)

11. jeeves

jeeves Regular Member

Stuff for your wrist particularly exercises that force you to pronate.

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Improved technique will produce power , especially if you are able to improve quickly. Otherwise, the squash racquet is your friend.

13. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    okay here are the guide lines i will suggest but in order to get results you have to have great technique and timing and lots hours of practice under your belt.

Do these exercises every TWO days:
    - crunches
    - push-ups
    - squats
    - forearm articulations(http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Forearm.html#anchor836730/)

now push yourself too 99% of your strength and then remember how many you did of each, then in two days try to beat that. and continue this system till you see results
    then you can continue for a will but not to much, if it gets really serious you might want to consider a actually physical trainer at a local gym or something to even out all your muscle groups, dont want unevenness that a really bad thing

14. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I'd say that 80% of personal trainers out there are clueless.

Of the remaining 20%, probably 15% (e.g. 75% of the rest) know how to increase strength, but not power.

There's a lot of stupidity out there in that field.

15. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

swing - yes u can play with tennis racket... even on the game.. but dont try to flick it with ur wrist or perhaps tape ur wrist to prevent. alot of ppl even train their jump smash with this in indonesia. remember... this is only for ur swing...

posted by twobeer
    Generally its a bad idea, if you are not extremely trained already..

to train effectively you need to be able to do strokes correctly and att fast speed.. Doing this with a tennis racket requires extreme forearm strength!!! Some pro's do train alot with tennis type racket.. But remember, theyv gone from std. rackets, 2U-racket,s head-heavy U-rackets, training rackets 130g, 150g, 160o g etc.. to squash rackets 180g or so .. gradually buildn strength and speed..

Starting to train with a tennis racket to early will just destroy your technique, or even wors injure yourself.

/Twobeer

flick - theres an instrument that train u this... its basically like bicep training in the gym but u curl ur wrist instead. *not good at explaining things*

another is ur old badminton racket. i used to train my wrist with this. get an old racket, grip it all the way up around the frame too or even double grip it if u are used to the weight on single grip one day.. then just swing ard with ur wrist. be very careful with how you swing as slight mistakes in weight calculation or wrong movement might cause u injuries.

sit-ups and push-ups, squad will increase ur strength too..

as stumblingfeet says - theres a lot stupidity out there... some took extreme measure training the right way... some dont... and when they dont.. some injuries stays for lifetime

#15 kinoko, Sep 19, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  16. kennlim87

kennlim87 Regular Member

Studying
    well, i think u could start training ur forearm pronation cos' it really trains up ur power for smashes. U can try using squash rackets or tennis rackets for training. when u feel there's no kick to it, u can always try grapping ur electric guitar.

Just a suggestion though