shuttle tumbling

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jorel000, Nov 7, 2007.

1. jorel000

jorel000 Regular Member

hi everyone! i am just curious about how th can tumble the shuttle, making it hard to return. can anybody give some tips on how to do this? tnx a lot!

2. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    I assume that you are referring to tumbling the shuttle on net drops, correct?

This is accomplished with a slight-to-moderate cutting or slicing motion of the racket as you are dropping at the net. It is usually best to keep the shuttle away from the sweetspot. Instead, the shuttle is contacted off-center on the stringbed -- usually, higher in the stringbed or somewhat closer to the frame.

Check out post #8 at the following link: Slicing

3. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    I believe that www.Badminton.TV has 2 or 3 instructional clips on various types of tumbling shots. However, the link that I provided in the Slicing thread above no longer works -- you now need to sign up on that site to access most of the videos.

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    It al about at the second the shuttle hits the strings, u move the racket head either from left - right, or right - left just a bit to add the spin/tumble on it. Also try and contact it closer to the frame of the racket & not the sweet spot. It takes sum time to perfect. Not a move i would use yet but if done right, can be very useful :D

5. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    You can also move the racket from back-to-front for a 3rd type tumbling technique. See the other thread that I referenced for a little more detail.

6. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

In my opinion, this movement is often forgotten about when people are teaching net tumbles. I actually like to teach this one first before doing the outwards and inward movements. This way, the player gets more of an appreciation for co-ordinating body movement and positioning for the net tumble. But that's just me.

Wayne Young

7. jorel000

jorel000 Regular Member

Hey everybody! Thank you very much! Your tips and suggestions really helped a lot. Now on to practice.

8. badboy4life

badboy4life Regular Member

tax dodger!
    you can also force the shuttle to tummble and spin whn u serve aswell use the same action...when you are doing a backhand short serve....instead of moving your racket back..and then forward ....jus slice the shuttle and it will spin perfectly ova the net and it drops a lot faster aswell!!