How to improve my speed?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by FILBACK Player, Nov 16, 2007.

1. FILBACK Player

FILBACK Player Regular Member

Student(14 years old)
    Guys, i need some help on this. I just can't seem to get the shuttlecock in time before it reaches the ground. Do you people have any type of training to help me with this?Thanks.

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    footwork will make a huge difference, if you cant move around the court properly then you wont be able to get to the shuttle in time to play a shot. so i suggest you do some footwork drills aka shadow badminton and practice moving around the court there are many examples of footwork out there on youtube or what now and its simple too moving to the 6 main points on the court the 4 corners and 2 sides but yeah deffinetly practice you footwork and you will notice a huge differnce.

here is a prett good one to follow, yes its not english but you shoudl be able to follow, but if you havea coach get them to run some drills with you ebcause then they can fix any errors that they notice or get some playres that do train at a high/higher level and get them to help you as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdB5tlpurJI

#2 smash_master, Nov 17, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    stamina will be very important. not only do you need to move well, you need to move well for the majority of the match. leg strength will help you stop and start faster, which is very important to moving well.

4. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

buy a turbo or supercharger...oh wait... badminton stuff... do some of these: agility ladder, plyometrics, squats, lunges, leg press, skip ropes, jogging, bike, any aerobics exercise.

5. elite N00b

elite N00b Regular Member

Student
    Shadow Badminton to the six points
    Multi-Feed
    Investing in a pair of court shoes preferably Asics, Yonex or Mizuno.

6. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Speed around the court is influenced by....

1) Your acceleration of the mark
    2) How quickly you can stop
    3) How quickly you can start again after stopping
    4) How quickly you can make the correct decision on where to go

Various strength and plyometric type exercise can help with 1 and 2. Agility exercises such as shuttle runs and fast feet type drills can help with 3. Just playing more games with different opponents will help with 4.

Wayne Young

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Footwork is very important and learning how to split drop/pretension your leg muscles to move quickly. There is a video on IBBS that explains how to cover the court and your opponents replies. Basically LJB says to cover the straight danger shot with your court position and look/angle your feet towards the crosscourt. I know this is a very simplistic explanation but does work. Anticipation is a wonderfull thing however it becomes more difficult if you're trying anticipate all 8 points of the compass at the same time.

For example- If you are good at going into the net and recover well back to base, but not so good at going to the rearcourt then maybe you can try a base position further back. However you will need to consider which shot you play in return of their drop shot. If you net return then its likely that they will lob to the rearcourt exposing a weakness. So instead of a net return you should lob to the rearcourt. Play to your strengths and dont play shots that will expose your weaknesses.

8. bigb824

bigb824 Regular Member

school
    No joke.... chase a chicken

9. NOOPIE

NOOPIE Regular Member

u want to increase ur speed around the court? do footwork drills.. for 5 - 10 min one a week or when every u can when u are begining once u are good at it.. do 30 min like me =)
    it helps alot as it makes u moves around the court easier.. and it also helps u to get used to it it helps ALOT trust me just do 5 min u will be pro enough to even get slices.. (no kidding)

10. PlayaFromMalaya

PlayaFromMalaya Regular Member

Student
    my speed always improves when i get to use some new equipment..like new shoes..when i got new shoes..i was faster on court..new racket..i played better badminton....seriously..haha..

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Tie a bit of weight to your feet.

12. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    that's a rather expensive way to doing it. why not just train some?

13. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    thats good that it works that way for you.

New shoes yes i can see that since if you get a new pair that fit better than your older pair then you will be able to move more efficiently on the court and faster with more explosive movements due to the better fitting shoes.

With racquets however its all subjective so im not gonna touch that one.

Overall with shoes make sure that your shoes are snug and not lose cause if there lose liek not a tight fit it will make it hard to move fast on court and can be dangerous as you can injure yourself too.

#13 smash_master, Nov 23, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Do some skipping. It'll strengthen your muscles and makes you gets ready and move faster. Extreme lightning speed mate. All da best!