My 3 Minute Game Video

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, Mar 26, 2008.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hi. This is from the thread: Length of Smashes.

This is the game in my school, challenging for Varsity #1 spot. Beat the guy pretty easily first game. Got killed the second game, then lost third. The other side where I played my second game had a bad ceiling haha. Theres a window and it throws me off a bit, probably throws him off in the second game too. We switch sides third game at 11. I couldn't find my camcorder's battery charger so I used my picture camera and it records in HD so its still pretty good, but I only charged it for 15 minutes before I went to school so it only lasted around 3 minutes so there might only be a few smashes. It was 308mb still! I compressed it to 38mb though.

I don't think I can fully display my technique and skills in 3 minutes but its just an idea. =]

http://www.mediafire.com/?xhwtvxl1zmd

2. Smashis

Smashis Regular Member

Watched it briefly. U seem to wait too long at the net after making a drop. Also i dont think i saw any clears? I just skimmed through the vid mayb i missed them. Also when u jump back for a smash the angle u jump back at is too steep, its taking away from the steepness of ur smash.

3. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

damn.. my download speed is down to 6kbps and it's still only 38% complete.. im going to have to stop this..

the video quality doesn't matter. what matters most is whether we can assess your technique. so.. upload it onto youtube please.. :(

4. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hey I did clear! Haha. I did a lot of overhead drops too, I don't think you can appreciate how close it is because of the camera angle.

Edit: I will try to upload to Imeem incase some of you guys are like Jhirata. =P

Youtube isn't working right now.

#4 KazeCloud, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  5. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

That host has very poor speed. I watched the video and i noticed all of your smashes you were out of position. Generally you were smashing from the side of your body. Its hard to tell how powerful or close to the lines any hits were, but the smashes looked fairly average and without any placement. The whole 3 minute had fairly poor placements, only saw 1 or 2 cross court drops, and most shots were hit directly at the center of court.

Of course talk is cheap, we all watch pro's play so its not hard to say whats wrong, doing it is another matter. It also appears that when u do smash or drop you tend to stay still like you're expecting it to be a winner for sure.

6. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Haha. Really? Yeah I mean everybody knows you have to hit it and have good placements and get ready. But of course once your in court, everything flies out the window. I don't think the shots had horrible placement though. =P

Thanks for the criticism!

7. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

Maybe try a game where u set out to tire the crap out of ur opponent, instead of trying to win. Thats all my friend and i tend to do when we play singles. It turns into a game of cross court drops/lift/clear, and u'll notice theres no need to even smash to win very quickly :D

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Yop.. good idea.. crosscourt slice drops, offensive clears and some deception will work really well..

9. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
  10. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    are you the one closest to the camera or the one on the other side?

11. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Closest to the camera. Sorry!

Somebody said I sucked. Now I'm butt hurt. =[

12. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Remember to keep your hands up higher!

Footwork: It's not bad, but you should be more relaxed. Remember to move back to the centre of the court more quickly after every shot. Here's Peter Rasmussen's four-corner footwork drill video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI
    Peter Rasmussen's not being a good example because he's not moving to the very edge of the corners.. :p

And about your placements..
    Your drops aren't bad at all. But remember to bring up your left hand when you're clearing, smashing and dropping. It's a part of the basic forehand stroke technique.
    You seem to be clearing and lifting too much to the centre, which allows the opponent to attack you with ease.. So you should do offensive clears and lifts to the left or right corners of the court to put more pressure on the opponent. More pressure = less options ( he should only be able to clear or drop if he's pushed to his backhand side ).. Less pressure = more options ( he can smash, drop, crosscourt, etc.. )

What else.. your half-smashes are good. They have good angle. Your full-smashes could be more powerful though, if you made more use of your arm. You should consult an advanced player or a coach to check and correct your technique.

#12 jhirata, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  13. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    its alright, you dont suck just a few things to work on dont worry about what they say.

So 1st off its not terrible or anything just a few things that you need to work on with regards to the smash since thats what you were talking about in the other thread.

watching your motion for the smash your not really extending your arm up and to the highest you can reach its more out to the side of your body. about 50 seconds into the video is an example of this. Your really using your shoulder it seems and not so much pronating your arm. The one thing i have to say is that taking the shuttle that low well that isnt to good and you wont be able to get more angle on it, you didnt get too bad angle on it already but yeah you will be able to get alot more if you make sure to contact the shuttle above you as high as you can reach as well as pronating your arm.

Just side note not meaning anything bad by it but you might want to try to move your opponent around more since it did look like you were trying to play to the corners but your shots were all more or less in the center and almost always to him so he didnt really have to move much to get them. your drops seemed a little high but then the same thing applies that you dont want to hit shots on the side of your body and want to reach up to make contact with them.

Just what i see from the video but yeah, keep practicing and try to work on those aspects and you should deffinetly notice a difference, not using your shoulder to smash but pronating your arm as well as using your body, legs as in a scissor kick and so forth. reaching up to make contact with the shuttle instead of not reaching up and hitting it out to the side of you which isnt to good.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Just a few quick thoughts:

Your opponent has a lazy, casual style and his footwork is often sloppy. Look to exploit this more.

You appear to have a stamina advantage -- he's stalling for time between rallies. This suggests that you should lengthen the rallies: go for fewer winning shots, and move him around more. If you can wear him down, then for the rest of the match he will hand you error after error.

Your drop shots need work. Sometimes your opponent doesn't even need to move from his central base position to retrieve them!

I didn't see many net shots. What's going on? This is men's singles, right? ;) If he's not contesting the net, then you can take charge of it without much difficulty.

15. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Hm. I don't have great stamina either. I think he stalls because he was losing horribly in these first few minutes of the game and he always try to recuperate himself. I beat him like 21-11 in that game.

Maybe I just didn't do the drop shots in the right time so it was easy for him to get it, I thought they were pretty close. How should I take charge of the net? Return smashes with drops? I did a lot of overhead drops.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I was thinking more that you could play some net shots in response to his drop shots.

It's hard to tell, but you appeared to be hitting some drops to the centre. Aim for the corners instead.

17. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

Some further points, and I'm being picky :p

It is difficult to tell about technique, but it seems you are not rotating in your overhead shots. It seems like your left shoulder starts of pointed at at the net, and remains pointed to the net through the whole stroke.

Always move back to your base quickly. You kind of watch the shot after you hit it, and then start to move. As soon as you hit the shot, move toward your base. Makes it easier for the next shot.

Try to hit everything to the sides of the court. It seems most of your shots is toward the middle. Make him tired. Drop, clear, smash EVERYTHING to the sides. This will force your opponent to reach, and get tired, and hopefully, make some mistakes.

Work on your drop shots. It seems that they are about net high AT the service line. Most of the time, the guy takes one step, and can still hit it down. Make them tighter, so it forces him to move.

Instead of lifting to him when you are at the net, play a net shot. A tight net shot will force him to lift, which you will then smash. If he returns the net shot, brush or snap it down.

Sorry for being picky. Most of the above does not have to deal with your smash, but it was difficult to really see the angle, grip and what not. Best for you to do, is to consult a local coach.

18. Ramster

Ramster Regular Member

Student
    You seem to be gripping the racket fairely high. Holding the racket lower on the grip is more suited for singles and gives you slightly more power.

19. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    Ok, here's my 2 cents.

Firstly, I see a great addition to your arsenal of shots would be a fast drop. Try not to slice your drop, and see the effects. You may even hit a winner, because your opponent is worried about your clear. What killed you was really your sliced/slow drop, since he can take it so high, and push you to the back, and make you off balance, with his hold and flick (which was too predictable and low/slow). A surprise smash to the body works, in this case, since you are jamming him, however, I would not recommend it at a higher level against someone who has better defence, since your smash is not heavy enough, and a crosscourt flick/drive will put you out of position, letting him dictate the pace of the rally. Try picking on his forehand back corner instead of his backhand, as the forehand position is actually harder to return to and the around the head is more natural for the body to generate good power and angle.

20. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Thanks wun.sun. Your kind of picky-ness is exactly what I need. Thanks!