Front or Back - Your Preference?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by venkatesh, Apr 6, 2008.

1. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    In doubles ...

A good rotation with your partner will give you a great advantage over your opponent.

But surely, you'd find a certain position more comfortable than the other.

Before, I'm more of a back player than a front one. I find smashing and hitting the shuttle hard intense and invigorating. Pluse, drop shots were my weakness.

But as I came to learn how to strategize in a game, I found out that it's even more thrilling to be in front.

You have to be alert for weak returns. You have to be fast for a good interception, but at the same time, graceful for a good drop shot return. You need quick wits for a clever placement and have to be skillfull for flicks and snaps over the net. You need to be aggressive but, at the same time, patient. You need to be different things.

Aaaaaahhh ... I love badminton. Sorry, I got carried away.

So which do you prefer? Front or bacK?

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Backcourt player could strategise too, they have hit to good accurate shots to create a juicy midcourt lift for a proper finish... either ending the rally by hitting to the center or to the side to move the opponents around. A hard smash helps but easily anticipated smash hinders. IMO, the back player has alot more work to do running around trying to position himself for the best shot.

Front player position is easier as all he has to do is keep his racquet up, move around to shield his partner from drives and finish off when opportunity presents.

The best doubles teams have fluid rotation and balanced attack, meaning either player could finish.

Personally, I like the transition between positions... no preference for either.

#2 cappy75, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    ... this I agree. strength and endurance are important at the back.

... this one, hmmmm, I'm sorry, but I don't. It's not easier as the shuttle at front travels faster.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I think the same level of play is needed for both. It's just that there's a difference between the two.

But, of course, during a game, I'd prefer a good rotation.

4. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    I Prefer Playing At The Back. I smash alot. I Like Being at the front too but not as much. My partner is better at the front anyway :D

5. NisroL_JR

NisroL_JR Regular Member

Teacher
    If my partner smash harder, I prefer play at the front. I love to block and smash whenever the return wasnt good enough. :D

But if my partner cant really smash, it is danger to go infront :D

6. Makunouchi

Makunouchi Regular Member

Badminton Addict
    I prefer playing at the front especially putting away shuttles that my partner have set up for me to finish.

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    good point. I do this too ... usually in mixed doubles. :)

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

At the moment, because I'm not allowed to play clears or smashes, I prefer to be at the front. ;)

...on the other hand, since hardly any of my current partners are capable of attacking, it doesn't make much difference. I just have to come right back again when they clear. :(

*sigh*

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I definitely agree with this comment. The best doubles pairings always are adaptable to formation changes. It give the oppoenents less weaknesses to work on.

I also agree with you about Front and back players physically, the back player has more physical work to do, I don't think you meant (as venkatesh interpreted) that the front was easy, just less physically taxing. Skill wise both F+B have their merits.

10. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

When playing against a pair weaker than us, I prefer to be the front man because I usually score around 7 consecutive points from tight net drops, trick shots and I also set up the attack for my partner who's a hard hitter.

However when playing against a pair stronger than us, especially national-level players..... I prefer not being the front man, because their net shots are too tight and precise for me, and their trick-shots will kill my injured back. But I somehow have the ability to *dive* when playing against stronger opponents.

11. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    ya, absolutly. If we're better than them, its fun to go up front and finish off points, but if they are very good, it can be really difficult to intercept and they will capitalise on flat smash from the back and drive past me ( or at my face, whichever ). In these cases, if i could choose, id prefer at the back, smashing away.

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Yes, physically easier but mentally more demanding. The front player needs to be on the ball at all time, always keeping his racquet up and shuffling around his area to cut off drives. He also has to watch out for pop-ups and move accordingly. The front guy will get smoked in the head if he's just watching the action at the front.

Yes, Venkatash, the shuttle does reach the front player faster than the back player but then again one shouldn't stay too close to the net anyways. A common problem for most casual players is that when they go to the front, they usually cheat alittle bit by going too close to the net thus opening up the middle area for opponents to exploit.

#12 cappy75, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Most players I observed kept their racquets up to their knees and/or stand in one spot for most of the rallies. They seem prepared for only one type of shot: the netkill. In this regard, the front position seem definitely easier:D.

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    I respect your opinion cappy. :cool:

But front players don't wait for only one type of shot. There are other types cappy, unless you're playing with weaker players. :D

Having said this, I'd like to agree with jhirata, that the difficulty at front would depend on your opponent. :)

15. kyle92

kyle92 Regular Member

you should make this into a poll

16. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    i prefer playing front, for multiple reasons. my smash is well......useless...it can sometimes work, but not too well. My backdrop is very good, but thats my only strength there. at net, i have a good drop, lift, drive, and kill, an my reflexes are VERY fast...haha.

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Well, I thank you. You probably didn't get the sarcasm behind my last reply (which wasn't directed at you). I was commenting on my observation of most club players I watched playing. They just don't know where to stand as front players... and they are not that weak. As for types of front players, well... you're either proficient or not;).

18. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

the front and back is both equally important. because both players must work together to set each other up for the perfect shot.

we should have KWUN to set up a poll on this post to ask what players most prefer? Front Court or Back Court play or Sides?

personally... i like playing in the front because any error from my opposition in returning a smash will let me finish them off. =D
    i like smashing from the back court, but i get tired from repeated smashes.

19. zuihoujueding

zuihoujueding Regular Member

Personally, i enjoys being at the front, despite me being 177cm tall. lol. love moving to the front for the kill and some tricky netplay.
    im alright being at the back thou. smashing is not my strong point, but drop shots and defense certainly got me drooling.

20. jump17

jump17 Regular Member

i like to be the frontman because you have to be more alert and i enjoy controlling the pace of the game.