How long will it take to master overhead backhand clear?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, May 22, 2008.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

How long will it take to master an overhead backhand clear?
    Someone said "a while"...how long is a while?
    I have a really weak backhand since I practiced it for the first time today "seriously", other times it was just a few hits. It felt like learning how to clear again. It only went across the net to the frontish.
    How long does it usually take?

2. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    depends how often you practice it. the more you do the more efficient you get at it. backhand is really challenging will take longer than usual. just practice when you get that chance. man i need some buddies to play with. where are you minnesota people!??. :crying:

3. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    Learn to clear with the normal backhand first. If you have the talent, a month should be enough to hit till the baseline. Why do you wanna do an overhead backhand anyway? Save the trouble. Go for a forehand smash instead.

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    do you mean round the head clear or backhand clear? to be honest, no one can have it mastered. i've been playing for over 3 years and i still miss hit it or can't hit it far enough when under pressure. even professionals hit it short.

don't worry too much about mastering it. as your whole game improves, so will the clear. don't focus too much on it. it'll be good to work on it more than other things, but again, don't worry. it will come in time.

5. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    doing that take is pretty hard to master. gives you less coordination. but good tho.

6. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Opps, I meant backhand clear. So used to hear people saying overhead clear....

7. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

If you don't know the correct technique for it, then its useless practicing. You'll only be practicing wrong technique and you'll have a harder time learning correct technique later on.

Though if you are already using correct technique, then keep on practicing...it won't take long for you to clear from baseline to baseline.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

IMO this is the second most difficult shot in the game, and if you watch professional matches you'll see that they only use it as a last resort (apart from Taufik;)).

There are so many variables to co-ordinate - grip, elbow angle, lunge, rebound hitting action... If you've never worked on this shot explicitly, it will probably take a solid month of practice to get from one baseline to the other.

9. Temestocles

Temestocles Regular Member

Nothing
    Well, if you can play it consistanly, there's no point in moving further or go around the head; you have a better angle with a normal shot. But, most pros don't even consider this angle as they can't play it as good as their forehand.

I guess only Taufik still plays a good both side game but when you have the world's best backhand clear, smash and drive, from every point to an ypoint, both in accuracy and power, I guess you can play it for the heack of it.

But, you're not a pro and I doubt your opponents are good enough to capitalize to often on your errors, so use it as a normal shot if you can do it as well.

The key is the reps. I can get one from line to line...out of many, but it's rare I try it in a game because I'm not consistant enough. You could also, turn it as a drop shot or as a smash.

Remember each time you had a stroke, you has dozen of fakes and counter fakes, angles and power levels you can use.

If you practice at least two hours a week, with some talent you could manage to hit that within a month, but you need the feel and I rarely seen someone doing it right aside this backhand smash freak on youtube and ,of course, Taufik.

Everythign is in the wirst and it relies onto:
    -a quick pronation and supination
    -a big swing angle ( start low down to almost as hig has your arm can go)
    -landing your racket foot on impact
    -a flat racket head on impact

Further than this, perhaps you could had finger power, but that's an other complicated topic.