about the gymwork (:

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by zerophyr, Jun 8, 2008.

1. zerophyr

zerophyr New Member

hello! i'm 15 this year, about 165 cm, male and I guess i'm of intermediate level in badminton. (hey the sticky said I had to do this :) )

I would just like to state something first to clear some stuff up:

Firstly, i have a good BMI according to most calculators, but did not perform well in most endurance sports (running, etc.) in school so I decided to pick up doing some cardio in the gym to see if it would help, and so it did, having done it for a few months now I can see slight improvements. However I was wondering if doing this daily would be bad? I do this for 20-10 minutes daily.

As that doesn't sound rather badminton-like my main question is this; I know that the techniques should be learnt before doing any strength training, but however I recently started to do some light-weightlifting and was wondering for the future which kind of weightlifting scheme is suitable for badminton and for a younger (pre-18) age? I have heard that honing explosive power can be quite helpful. I can hit high shots alright I guess, its just my smashes are pretty much very very returnable :(

Well I'm open to suggestions, so if weightlifting is really not the way forward (I still have to do it anyway for other medical reasons) then I am open to other suggestions on ways to do this.

#1 zerophyr, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

When I used to live in Singapore when I was 12, I easily came 2nd place in the school's annual marathon thing where we all had to run 3km. I was nothing close to being 'strong' or 'muscly'.
    A friend of mine who introduced me to badminton, he was very very mascular.. but he came around.. 87th or something in that run.

Those cardio's don't really help you with your fitness abilities much. Long distance running requires strong 'core muscles' rather than the 'outer muscles' that you can show-off.

If you'd like to improve on your fitness and 'explosiveness' required for badminton, I suggest you to try double-skipping, the shuttle-run, beep-test, etc.. anything which is fast, 'explosive' and would tire you out.

Haha.. just think about it. The top junior girls' players don't all look so muscly do they ? Yet they are able to smash and clear like men.. it's because of their technique. You could focus on your technique rather than your muscle tone to increase your smashing power/etc..

3. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

I'm 20 and I'm using two things, 1) Powerball 2) Resistance tubing.

Depending on if you actually want to be like someone/something like NGP, you'll need to hit the gym then, but then you'll also need a coach. If you're just planning to play normally, and not really hit the tournaments, then you don't really need to hit the gym.

4. zerophyr

zerophyr New Member

thanks for all the help:) I accidentally wrote 20-10 minutes on the cardio thing it was actually 20-30 but now I can't find the edit button :p Erm, I think I do sound stupid, but since I'm new here: what does NGP stand for?

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Hmm.. NGP = Neighborhood Giant Panda.. or something like that.. = DinkALot.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

And Dinkalot = knowledgeable BC member with huge muscles and a scary smash. ;)

Something of an Ent nowadays...

7. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

The NGP's diet consists of many many many rackets. He eats them like they were made of cotton candy and if you look closely, he does not live in a bamboo grove, those are expired rackets from 1 or less NGP smash, which equates to about 1 Chuck Norris kick or 1 Big Bang (well Big DINK)

8. asder

asder Regular Member

Student
    I use a light racquet, around 82-84 grams, with strings, grip. I used to bike for about 2 hours everyday when i was between 16-19. Biking was fun, not because i wanted to improve in badminton. I never really lifted weights, but i did push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, stretches, exercises that required my own body weight. Do they help with badminton, not sure, but that allowed me to enjoy every singe game i played against better and worse people. BMI are a rough guideline to tell you your body height weight ratio. I have always been around 18.

9. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Well....I started to do Korean martial arts twice a week, and I think it helps. I can sustain a game much longer, and my footwork also feels like it's on air (Very funny indeed). Also, my smashes are so powerful that when I tried it at full power, I hit the shuttle way past the court boundary.

10. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Umm.... That is not a effective smash at all.

11. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    That may be you aren't using your wrist enough or you are hitting the shuttlecock too early.