Speeding up recovery time after a shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by andrew chan, Jun 10, 2008.

1. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

I need to do this, since when I play singles, I'm slightly slower in recovering than my opponent, so is there a drill/somethign I can practice to speed this up? I am getting to the shuttle fast enough, but after I play the shot its like I am lagging around in the same spot, I also am doing the scissor kick after a shot (movement where u bring ur right foot forward, if you're right handed so u can continue ur movement).

Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

Thanks

2. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

Shaddow

i think u should do shaddow, but imagine the shuttle start slow correct your footwork first.then slowly move faster and faster,remember at the end u have 2 move the fastest u can while doing shaddow beacause then only u will see improvement on court

3. andrew chan

i dont have problems getting to the shuttle, i have problems preparing for my opponents next shot, and do u have to do shadow badminton on a court, or is at home fine?

4. jrmanu

jrmanu Regular Member

yeah

yes, so because of that u move forward and comeback to the centre as fast as u can then move 2 another direction and come back.no u can do it in any open area or anything but make sure u dont cut and corners. do it properly and it will be fine it will be fine.

5. andrew chan

how long should each session of shadow be? as long as i can? or for a set amount of time?

So i guess shadow badminton would be: center to all 8 directions? (front, back, forehand net, backhand net, left midcourt, right midcourt, forehand back corner, backhand back corner)

Anyone else have advice on my problem? i can hit the shot, its just that im not ready for his return, because i have a slow recovery time after my shots.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Firstly, after playing a shot, you need to recover your centre of balance. If you don't do this well, going to the next shot will be slower. This may be something you have to learn. Difficult to advise upon unless we can actually see you in action.

Secondly, after playing the shot, your position on court might not be optimal to reach the next shot. Thereby you get the perception you are slow.

Thirdly, when you play a shot, tactically, are you playing the right shot? Unknowingly, you may be playing a shot that lets the oppponent put a lot of pressure on you.

Fourthly, the quality of your shot may not be a high quality (e.g. a clear that is too low or too short). That then lets the opponent play a good return against you - you then feel you cannot move fast enough.

Your difficulty might be all of these but to varying degrees. Talk to some experienced people asking them to watch you play. Ask them to pick up on a a couple aspects of your game that seem to be weak.

7. andrew chan

thanks Cheung, will do

8. siaox

siaox Regular Member

student
    wad to do when i have stiff legs? when waiting for the opponents' ball, my legs simple refuses to budge

9. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Try doing a split step, try this as well www.badmintonbible.com which is writen by Gollum.:)

10. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

You say that you're doing the scissor kick/jump turn etc when performing an overhead shot in the rearcourt, so I presume that you're getting caught with going forward to retrieve dropshots? If so, maybe you're not lunging forwards affectively in playing the shot and therefore your centre of gravity is too high. Lunging lowers your C.O.G, whilst being able to gain a more balanced bodily position to play the shot well, and to brake your forward movement and recover efficiently back to base.
    Shadowing will help your rhthym and footwork. Half court singles would be better though.

11. andrew chan

by lunging, do u mean my upper body has to lean forward more to lower the COG?

12. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    2 point to note here.

1st is to improve your footwork & stance. You should not be having problem to move while waiting for the shuttle. If your feet refuses to budge, it probally means you are not in position or your stance is incorrect while waiting for your shots. Good footwrok will lead toi better stance positioning.

2nd. Improve your stroke. Once you have good position, your stroke will be better. Your stroke should not be too over done that it throw you off position or off balance. Try to use more wristwork. Follow thru shots should not be those that get you off position, instead use the follow thru action to get back into position. ( a good stroke not only means a shot well hit and place. but it also means the stroke iis well balance and work together with the footwork.
    Example: if you are lunging to get a shot, you should use your footwork to get back your balance.

Recovery time will be improve when both stroke and footwork works together. Hope this helps.

#12 DaveC, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  13. andrew chan

i stopped lagging around in the same spot and i can get back now, but for some odd reason, my backhand coordination has gone awry =_=, so many problems to fix.

14. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    Backhand is every badminton player weakhand.
    One secret of having a good backhand is not only the proper stroke, BUT it's the right stance & footwork that make that the backhand shot perfect.

Example : A backhand footwork position is needed to execute an overhead backhand shot. If you cannot point you racket hand elbow at the incomming shuttle, you will not hit a good backhand shot.

Note: It does NOT means that you have to point your elbow at the shuttle. But you should be able to point at it.
    To perfect a overhand backhand shot. Stand in backhand position and point your elbow at the point of impact to get the right position and stroke. If you can't point at the shuttle then your position need to be corrected (this is a basic guide ).

#14 DaveC, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  15. snguyen1

snguyen1 Regular Member

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's better to avoid leaning forwards (much) during a lunge. Try to remain balanced: instead of allowing your upper body to collapse forwards on a deep lunge, make your posture lower.

You might like to check out my lunge technique page.

#16 Gollum, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  17. andrew chan

i think he meant when i hit the shot i should lean forward more, but that doesnt feel natural...

18. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Its important to keep your head up and back straighter, majority of movement will be from hips, this gives you good balance upon contact with the shuttle. All too often recovery steps are taken through the line of movement after the shuttle has gone. This is a classic sign that the lunge is not being used effectively. Both feet must be used to brake your forward momentum, racket in front, non racket foot to drag behind to assist and reduce fatigue on racket leg.