Gym for 14-year-old

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Scott_G500, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Scott_G500

Scott_G500 Regular Member

Student
    I'm wondering if the gym is any good for my age (14). Something like once or twice a week. If it is, could any of you suggest a training program, but nothing too stressful but something light. Effective enough to show a little results. Also could you write the workout terms in simple English cuz my 1st language isn't English.

Thanks in advance.

2. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    I think gym training could work...

As you are very young, you shouldn't use to much weight. That could make you stop in growth. Just take it easy, get an instructor to show you how to use different machines and give you a training program. :) Also, you dont wanna get to heavy for badminton. :p

3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

gym can be helpful. focus on endurance and not power at your age. lighter weight and higher reps.

make sure you do a balanced program, not just bicepts and chest, but also delts, tricepts, back, lower body, legs, the works :)

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    make sure u get the correct exercise advice for footwork and stroke, even the very basic and simple looking ones to start on.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Try to enrol yourself in a badminton class, preferably of not more than 6 students, where the coach drills students with multi-feed shuttles. It pays to get a coach who is not too old as it can be very exhausting for a coach who has to do such drills with his students continuosly for an hour nonstop. It can surprisingly be quite challenging, physically. This way, you get what you want plus you also get to build a solid badminton foundation.

6. Scott_G500

Student
    Sorry for my ignorance but where are the ''delts'' and ''tricepts''?

7. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    I think he means weight lifting, but I'm not sure.

Triceps is the backside of your arm. Delts are you outer shoulder muscles. The deltoid is what form the round shape of the shoulder.

[​IMG]

Also, make sure you workout your entire legs alot, do several excercises for them when you practice. Don't do like squats and then be happy. Finish them completely, thats what it's all about.

Preferably, get a friend to go to the gym with and you can push each other to your limits and help holding weights etc.

8. Scott_G500

Student
    Any idea's how many times a week or how long? I don't wanna do too much if it really does affect growth.

9. Khawai

Khawai Regular Member

3 times a week. Dont work out more than an hour. should get a gym partner.

10. Scott_G500

Student
    3 times a week seems pretty good. I also have a gym partner. I hope it doesn't interfere with school work. I'm home at 5pm and that doesn't leave much time for homework and studying etc.

One more question: should I put badminton training and gym together? 1 hour of badminton first and then a light workout or something like that?

11. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    there's something i've always wanted to know....does doing gym at a young age really impedes vertical growth? I have heard mixed views on this...some people tell vertical growth is compromised by horizontal growth or something...wonder how true is that

12. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Nah not really. The theory is that if you damage your growth plates by putting excessive stress on them, you'll cause them to shut down. However, how much stress is too much? Consider that running and jumping puts a lot higher peak stress on the bones than lifting something heavy. Or, a football player usually starts lifting weights at around 14, and they're often strong and tall by the time they're 18.

The counter examples are usually the weightlifter and the gymnast. However, you have to consider that in those sports, being short has biomechanical advantages (shorter lever lengths), so it's more plausible that being short is why they're in that sport as opposed to being short because of their activity.

With this being said, 14 year olds need to use A LOT OF CAUTION when lifting weights. Not because it's gonna stunt their growth, but because they're (typically) STUPID. From what I understand, strength coaches teaching a group at that age have to keep things really simple because the chance of things becoming misunderstood is high.

13. Scott_G500

Student
    So what do you say? Should I start going to the gym or would I risk stressing myself too much?

If someone just did a simple workout plan for me from based on their experience then it would make it a lot easier for me. I know their are a lot of workout plans lying around in BC but I think they're mostly for adults.

14. stumblingfeet

Alright, here's a basic but effective plan for introducing you to working out:

The goals are 20 perfect pushups, 12 perfect pullups, and 2:00 perfect lunge holds per leg. The key word here is perfect. A beginner needs to learn perfect technique and position, because if it is sloppy the benefits of training are reduced.

Perfect Pushup
    Keep your body straight from head to ankle. Keep your hands fairly close to your body. Lower your chest down to the ground over a count of three and then push back up over a count of 1.

Perfect Pullup
    Grab the bar with your palms facing away and slightly wider than shoulder width. Make sure you keep your shoulder blades down and in. Pull by trying to touch your elbows to your sides. Hold the top position for 1 second, then lower yourself down over 3 seconds, then hold the bottom position for 1 second. Repeat.

Lunge Hold
    Get into a deep lunge with your torso erect. You should feel a stretch in your legs, particular in the front hip of the back leg. Breathe deeply, and let yourself go even lower as you exhale. Hold this position for 2 minutes. When complete, switch legs.

Once you accomplish these tasks, let me know and we can figure out some other challenges for you to learn.

15. Scott_G500

Student
    Your plan looks very reasonable.

I won't be starting it quite yet, since I still have one and a half months left of my summer holiday. So, you'll probably hear from me after 2-3 months.

About the lunge hold: is it the same position as when lunging to get to the front corners on a badminton court?

16. stumblingfeet

There's no reason to hold off starting unles you're injured at the moment. Remember, this is a beginner program that requires little equipment - maybe just a tree branch or soccer net for the pullups. It's intended to develop your capacity for strength work so that you can do more conventional strength training when you get back to school.

17. Scott_G500

Student
    I know but I just feel more motivated during school when I have sports lessons and people to play badminton and football with unlike now. Also I tend to get SO lazy on holidays. Plus I feel that it will be easier after the holidays because there are fewer distractions.

18. stumblingfeet

Dude, it's a 10 minute workout. If you can't work up the enthusiam to work out during the summer and off-season (i.e. the best time of year to do physical prep) then you're not going to get much success doing any kind of workout.

19. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Work the deltoids with dumbells as much as possible, and the wings... Really helps in clears and smashes.

20. Scott_G500

Student
    Fine, I'll start it now.

When in the lunge position, should my back foot be pointing forwards?