strap on weights to improve strength?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jafffa, Sep 7, 2008.

1. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Hay guys, only just joined so go easy on me. I'm only a casual player (although the time adds up to 5 hours a week) and i like to use wall practives when i'm not playing and the weather permits me being outside.

Just curious as to weather using strap on weights would improve my backhand (well all shots mainly). What i mean by the weight is a weight that can be strapped on with its velcrow wraps. In this case around the wrist. Just wanted your thourghts. Thanks

2. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

strapping weights on your wrist will just put abnormal pressure on your elbow and shoulder joints which can cause injury. there are plenty of ways to improve forearm strength, just youtube some videos.

i recommend using a heavier racquet or a squash racquet to do drills against the wall.

3. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    or do shoulder and arm curls (palms down) weight lifting

4. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    With the cover on

5. arkanick

arkanick Regular Member

Just a suggestion, but there are also "trainer racquets" by ashaway for those who actually want to improve their strokes:)

6. pw2002

pw2002 Regular Member

Play some squash to strengthen your wrist and your arm. I play a lot of badminton but I recently decided to add squash to my repertoire and it basically improved so many aspects of my badminton game.

1. Footwork
    You have to bend your knees really low so basically to hit a forehand or a backhand in squash, you're basically doing lunges. This improves your quad strength.

2. Hand-eye coordination
    The ball travels faster in squash than in does in badminton and you've got to anticipate where it bounces off the wall in a split second.

3. Wrist and Arm strength
    I can basically hit my baseline to baseline clears now with almost no effort because the racquet feels so light to me. My squash racquet is about 150 grams so compared to that my badminton racquet feels like a feather.

In short, I think playing squash as a parallel sport adds more to your badminton game.