I need help about the split drop

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by janara, Sep 11, 2008.

1. janara

janara Regular Member

My footwork is fine,but sometimes I'm stuck with the ground and move to the birdie very late.I think the reason is I dont have a spit drop before moving.I've read some topics about it (include the one on badmintonbible),but I can't imagine how to perform split drop ! My english is not good and I can't understand the guides.Anyone please help me find a video about this technique,or explain it clearly for me

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
  3. janara

janara Regular Member

Thank you very much :).But I still wonder what is the best time to perform it,should I do it just one time and start stepping or keep "jumping" untill the birdie come ? What foot should be used for the first step after doing split drop ?

4. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Your right foot will be normally the best to push off of after you land. You should time the landing so that you hit the floor as soon as your opponent hits the bird. This will allow you to react the fastest, and not be hit by deception or freeze up.

5. janara

janara Regular Member

sometimes my opponent hit the birdie very slowly,especially everytime I do a high serve.It's about 3-4 seconds and I have to wait.Should I do split drop repeatedly during that time or just wait and do it one time righ before my opponent hit the birdie ?

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Just wait and do one split drop.

The split drop is completely useless while the shuttle is still high in the air. The purpose of the split drop is to prepare you to move quickly after the opponent hits his shot.

7. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    Basically if you have reached your base position and still has plenty of time before your opponent hits(a high shuttle), you can do an obvious split step, spreading your legs apart so that you can prepare to retrieve smashes from both extreme sides...and Gollum is right that you do it only once.

But for most rallies you don't have so much time, so you'll often be still moving back to base. In such cases you are usually adopting changing base positions. The split step is also done less explicitly, with just a little bending of your knees to prepare to lunge off for the next shot.

In another case, after playing a net shot, you should do a little hop/shuffle a step backwards, with your racket foot still in front. This is also a form of a 'split-step'.

8. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Everytime your opponent hits the shuttle you should perform a split.
    It just stops the opponent sending you the wrong way.

Hope that helps

9. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    during the waiting period, lightly bounce on your toes, keeping your leg muscles loaded so you can perform the split jump with speed. however, other than the high serve and maybe a defensive lift, i don't see any time where you will be given much time between moving back to base and doing the split jump. sometimes, you won't even do the split jump (moving diagonally under pressure)

10. janara

janara Regular Member

Thank you so much,these guides are very useful :)

11. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    The split step is suppose to be done "with direction", that is pointing towards the direction you are about to go. I wonder why Gollum have yet not desricbed that within the bible, maybe I misunderstood the concept of the split step???

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, there's a lot more to be said about the split drop! I do mean to go into more detail later. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with work. :(

Sometimes the split drop is done "with direction", and sometimes not. Sometimes it's done from a static position (waiting), and sometimes it's done on the move.

The basic idea, however, is the same: as your opponent is hitting the shuttle, you need to do some kind of "ready" movement -- widening your base and lowering it.

13. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I think this was described real well in an anime called "Prince of Tennis". Some people might've heard of it. But the split step is basically jumping on both feet and bouncing on them so you can reach shots that are a bit out of your range. You keep your muscles moving which creates a faster reaction time. There's also the 1-footed split step where you bounce on 1 foot at a time, which gives you an ever larger range of reaching birdies, however it's hard to master because it could throw you off balance if you land on let's say your right leg and the shot goes the other way. Well, the anime explains it better than I can, I do not remember the episode where it was introduced though.

14. carlo

carlo Regular Member