i cant hold my raquet right

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by duracell bunny, Oct 1, 2008.

1. duracell bunny

duracell bunny New Member

not working
    hi:eek:
    i'm new to the forum , so please forgive me if i have posted this in the wrong area , or asked a question that has been answered before.
    just wondered if anyone had an opinion to be honest . i have been playing badminton for about a year now , and have improved a bit because i am playing 4 times a week , so i'm not really really awful..... just awful:).
    i am just having a major problem with the forehand grip , i can do the backhand fine , but the forehand i'm holding the racquet wrong . i know you are supposed to hold it, as if you are shaking hands with it, but every single time i start to play i automatically revert back to a pan handle grip. if i try and hold it in a shake hand grip, it feels like someone has put my wrist on backwards and i miss most of the shots.
    if i hold it my way wrongly i hit most of the shots and to be honest do ok.

is it worth persuing and making the effort to master this shake hands grip i will literally need to sellotape my hand to the raquet to keep it in the position- is it worth mastering this , or can i keep using my pan handle grip and doing ok?
    just wondered peoples opinions really , and if anyone knew any magical techniques for keeping my hand in the correct forehand position without reverting to sellotape , or welding the raquet to my hand - i always used to hold it wrong at school to, so its an impossible habit to break
    thanks guys

p.s i was just wondering if getting a fatter grip might help?

2. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

uhhhhhh
    i kinda had this problem..... but mine was just with the racket face tilting....
    yea if worst comes to worst, use tape, but not cello, something removable.
    my coaches used to duct tape peoples hands....:D

3. mkwanster

mkwanster Regular Member

IT System Administrator
    keep trying I say, eventually it will come

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This happens because you are trying to combine the correct grip with your old (incorrect) hitting technique. Using the right grip is only part of the technique; you also need to use the right hitting action.

If you try to use a panhandle-style hitting action with the "shake hands" grip, then it will not work.

The essential idea of the hitting action is that you need to turn the arm (so that the racket face turns). It goes from side-on to facing forwards. This is somewhat like throwing a ball, whereas your panhandle technique is somewhat like throwing a dart.

There's a lot more to say than that, but if I go much further I'll end up writing an article. ;)

You might also like to check that your grip is correct: use the basic grip.

5. duracell bunny

not working
    awww thankyou very very much for your replies - really appreciate them - very good of you thanks so much xxxx:eek:

6. joppy

joppy New Member

I change between the two grips when the shuttle is at different distances from my body. Anyone does the same?

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    My advice ... practice. If you really want to learn badminton, do it the right way, even if you miss the shot at first. Eventually, you'll get it. If you only use panhandle grip, you'll be in sorts of trouble when the opponent hits an attacking clear shot or a forehand drive, etc. I have a friend who's in the same situation as yours. The disadvantage of a panhandle grip is that the shuttle has to be always in front of you. Your footwork will also get affected because your shoulder has to be slightly forward when you hit the shot with the panhandle grip. And you can't move back with your right foot without moving your right shoulder towards the back. Dude, practice is the key. I hope you improve more. :) Keep us posted.

8. duracell bunny

not working
    aww thanks for your advise an replies everyone.
    to be honest i have done something a bit silly - i have taped something on my raquet - like a lump of sponge - so that i cant hold it my usual pan handled way - just to force me to hold it in the correct fore hand grip - just till it feels more familiar to me - i cant do it any other way - thanks guys xx

9. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

yes. All the time and I use about 3-4 grips for forehand.

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i wouldn't really call it changing grips, it's really more of a shift to gain better contact with the shuttle. e.g. most forehand shots are played with the basic grip. however, for deep forehand shots where you are stretching, you might need to adjust the grip to be bias towards a thumb grip for better contact.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

One man's "grip change" is another man's "grip adjustment". ;)

In the grips guide, I chose the phrase "grip adjustment" because I wanted to emphasise the idea of adjusting your grip to suit the situation. As players become more fluent with their grip, they instinctively make small changes to suit the exact situation.

I wanted to break away from the idea that players change between a certain number of fixed grips. How many grips do I use? Well, you could say I use four (basic, thumb, panhandle, bevel); or you could say that I use infinitely many grips, each one slightly different from the next. It's a matter of taxonomy.

Sometimes it's not clear whether I'm using the basic grip or the thumb grip -- because I'm actually using something in between. We could call that the basic-thumb grip. But then I can also use a grip between that one and the basic grip; and we could call that the basic-basic-thumb grip. Notice a pattern?

How many named points on a compass? Four (north, south, east, west). How many different possible compass directions? Infinitely many.* And if you want, you can name them: north-west, north-north-west...

In practice, however, the names are only useful for getting players started learning the grips. Once you start to make finer distinctions of grip angle or finger placement, additional names become more trouble than they're worth.

* Actually, we don't know this. There may be only finitely many possible directions, albeit a very, very large number. It depends on whether space is continuous or discrete (mmm...loop quantum gravity).

12. Ruffle

Ruffle Regular Member

Badminton, ie. retired. I think I once had somethi
    Love it! Next you'll be telling us that the un-symmetric randomness of the butterfly wing outside the badminton hall is contributing to the fact that I keep missing the shuttle!:crying:

Well, there has to be SOME reason :)

13. Carmein

Carmein Regular Member

I'm having the same problem too. Thanks for the basic info grip! I could try the basic grip when I play badminton next time. My wrist tends to be stiff when I'm practising the "shake hands" grip which I assume is normal during the first few trials? One friend of mine told me that there's isn't any perfect grip, and the most important matter is which suits you comfortably.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Bear in mind that the "right" grip also needs the "right" technique.

When we say, "the panhandle grip is bad for overhead forehands", what we really mean is that the whole hitting technique is bad. Grip is a part of hitting technique.

If you use the wrong hitting action, then a grip change alone will not solve your problem. You need to use the right hitting action as well (which involves turning your arm).

Ha! That's the "Jurassic Park" version of Chaos Theory, which is an attractive but entirely misleading representation. ;)

15. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    My advice is to train the supination/pronation action first WITHOUT the racket. Use a shuttle and throw it as far as you can, by holding it with your fingers, first supinate and let go in the middle of the pronation action. Also train your body rotation at the same time, so everything rotates, perheps it feels more natural then.

When you have trained supination/pronation and body rotation, also remember to learn about fingerpower and relaxed grip before just grabbing the racket. After all that, you can start to train the throw action as mentioned above with you racket.
    Try to start with around the head clear.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, throwing practice without a racket is good basic training.

I actually don't like using shuttles, as players try too hard and can strain their arms (or maybe that's just me getting old and sore...). I prefer a somewhat faster projectile; there are some fun shuttlecock variants, such as balls with feathers attached, which are easier to throw a good distance. I keep meaning to buy some.

17. Ruffle

Ruffle Regular Member

Badminton, ie. retired. I think I once had somethi
    I found that teaching the backhand with just the shuttle was very beneficial. The student puts the thumb up the inside of the shuttle and grips the feathers with the first two fingers, mainly the first, curled. Points the elbow up and flicks. Pronation is automatic, and the shuttle travels very well. Also it helps teach the bevel / thumb grip or whatever it's called nowadays (I used to call it the backhand grip :eek:).

However, the grip for the forehand doesn't seem to work so well.

18. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

This happened to me to when I first started. I started with the right grip, but I eventually switched back to the wrong grip without me knowing it. All I did was just play more and check my grip every now and then. And when you play badminton, you should write something on your hand to help you remember. I know some people would duck tape their hands.

19. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Depends on where you set the target ;) - pétanque is fun for beginners. Also a more fun way for beginners to practice the serve, without thinking about the net.

#19 Mikael, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  20. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    I have grip handle problem , which I always use panhandle(plz refer on badmintonbible site) method/way/style in all aspect(include smash,defence,backhand smash and etc) . Can I continue use that method?My teacher do say it is wrong and ask me to change to the right way but it is very burden to me ... Anyone please give some detail of it ... Any helps really appreaciate