How can we win in MD?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by andrewszh, Dec 2, 2008.

1. andrewszh

andrewszh Regular Member

SE
    I am an middle class player with 2 years experience double game, and my partner is a beginner, even there are some problems to receive a normal overhead service to him. When we play, we lose games too much. The opponents are not too strong to play with, but they have a good balanced ability, both of them are middle player. They was seemed to aim so much to my partner, so I can not touch shuttlecock so much. I dont know how to win a game with somebody like them, are there any good idea for us?
    With many thanks!:)

#1 andrewszh, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Keep playing more and you'll both improve.. ;)

Watching doubles games also helps you know how to react to the shuttle in different situations.

You can buy Shoji Sato's Badminton "perfect master" instructional book ( スポーツステップアップDVD バドミントン パーフェクトマスター ) at a bookstore; it contains a detailed doubles/singles guide which I found very useful.

3. andrewszh

andrewszh Regular Member

SE
    Thanks for writting here. I hold the book that you said, the DVD is helpful. I think I need to talk with my partner later and lend my book to him.:)

4. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    When an opposing pair "play" on a weaker partner it is very difficult to turn this round.

One thing you could try is when you partner is defending get him to try to clear cross court as this may cause your opponents to switch the attack onto you instead.

If this doesn't work (you must discuss this with your partner first so you both know it is going to happen) but get him to lift high and deep to the back and then quickly change sides so if your opponents continue to attack straight they will now be attacking you, or if they try to switch the attack to follow your partner they might make a mistake.

Try switching it round sometimes to a front and back formation (with your weaker partner at the net), against better opponents that will not work and would be very bad but at the level you are playing it might confuse them a bit and give you a chance to influence the game a git more.

The other thing you must try and do is when you do get a chance to hit the shuttle make sure that you play attacking shots (smashes and drop shots) or flat drives so that it is not so easy for your opponents to play attacking shots to your partner.

If none of that works your partner will just have to play all the shots but they will get loads of practice and get good really quick.

I hope some of that helps. :)

Good luck.

Alaric

5. kimir

kimir Regular Member

can you buy this online?

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If your partner is a pure beginner (even having trouble to receive serves), then you need to let him/her take some basic training, before even thinking about winning when facing decent opponents. It's very clear that your partner is very low in skill level as for now, and yourself is not 10 times better than the opponents. Therefore, B + F < B + B. :p

Once there's a big gap in skill level between partnership, the better player's own performance tend to get dragged down, as s/he needs to play extra coverage for the partner. Therefore, unless you are way superior than your opponents, it's not a leveled match to begin with.

7. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

you should consider playing with mixed double strategies where he would be the "girl".
    when you suggest the idea to him, do not actually call him the "girl"

8. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Of course, amazon.co.jp.. :p.. The site is in Japanese and so is the book, if you don't mind..

9. delmonk

delmonk Regular Member

software engineer
    The only thing you can really do is play to your partner's strengths and your opponents weaknesses.
    For example most beginners can't play rear court(lack of strength) but have rather decent reflexes, so when you are serving adopt a side to side formation rather than serving from front back formation.
    If you are serving against someone who has weak offensive capability, serve high to them (Doesn't work if they can smash it consistantly). Also get really good at attacking your opponents serves, you basically have to make up for every point your partner loses and the easiest way to do this is to get good at attacking serves.
    This kind of strategy works best in the 21 point system, and only if there is at least one opponent that you are better then.
    Basically you have to trade with them but be able to come out on top.

10. andrewszh

andrewszh Regular Member

SE
    Very Helpful, I will try to let my partner to make Cross High clear firstly!

11. andrewszh

andrewszh Regular Member

SE
    Sounds not bad, however it will be a game (Man+Girl) vs (Man+Man).:D

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If you have the ability to, you can cover their backcourt, and your side too, so cover 3/4th of the court if they're really weak at movement backwards. Good training for singles too.

13. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

well he is your partner, we're assuming you're stuck with him and can't trade him for Lin Dan or you would have already.

you do the best that you can with what you got. with a weak partner, you try to cover him more by letting him play the net more often. at the very least, they can't keep hitting to him like they are currently without getting net killed at some point (assuming your partner can hit a net kill or at least a low push)

14. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I guess maybe play a more high-risk, attacking game might help too - the longer a point goes on, the more opportunity your opponent will have to make their greater skill count.

Plus this way, you rob your opponents of the satisfaction of actually "winning" the point, if it's the result of you smashing 3ft wide or something.

15. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

i thought point of winning is so you can feel good about yourself, not to make your opponent feel bad? :eek:

i would much rather play a perfect game and lose then play a shitty game and win because my opponent didnt play well either

16. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, but you'll notice that in mixed (providing the man is the stronger player) the women is often targeted (being the weaker player) so they need to work out a strategy between them to prevent this. It often results in the woman playing further forward and then the pair trying not to let their opponents attack. You're much more likely to win a point when you're on the offensive so when you are receiving serve, try to play an attacking push. Encourage you partner to do the same. Also, try and play shots to play him out of trouble, if you can hit a fast, flat drive down a line, then your opponents may struggle to play to your partner or if they manage it, the shot should be easy to return.

17. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Kooshball: Me too. To be fair though, you did ask "how can we win...?" and not "how can we play a perfect game?"

If your opponent wins a really long and dramatic rally, it's going to give them a big physchological boost, and it's going to be disheartening for you and your partner, that's all - I didn't mean it in a nasty way like "we're gonna lose, but at least we won't make it fun for you".

It's kind of like when a rubbish football team plays for a draw against a better team - it won't be an exciting game, but 0-0 is better than losing 5-0.

#17 Sketchy, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  18. andrewszh

andrewszh Regular Member

SE
    Thanks, We will try to take the tactic of mixed double in my next game!
    By the way, we will have a game at tomorrow afternoon. I wish there are
    some change!

19. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Good luck with your game and hope I've helped.

20. andrewszh

andrewszh Regular Member

SE
    Win.

Hello, we won a game at last Saturday.:)
    In the game, My partner made all stroke as fast as he can.
    He made a lot of fast drive to return, and I focus on
    smashing and droping. I even didn't make any high clears in
    that game. We had a very offensive game with high risk.
    Of cause, there are some miss from us because we made all
    stroke so fast and offensive. By the way,the game ran very
    fast and no long rally point.
    WE WON AT 21-16.:p
    (This time, we win by speed.)

#20 andrewszh, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2008